Ability Wiki - What is the ability?
Ability Aptitude, a component of a competency to do a certain kind of work at a certain level Intelligence, logic, abstract thought, understanding, self-awareness, communication, learning, having emotional knowledge, retaining, planning, and problem solving Knowledge, a familiarity with someone or something, which can include facts, information, descriptions, or skills Skill, the learned ability to carry out a task with pre-determined results Power (social and political), the ability to influence people or events Capability (disambiguation) Superpower (ability), a popular culture term for a fictional superhuman ability Intellectual giftedness, an intellectual ability significantly higher than average Potential (disambiguation).
What does the word ability mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word ability in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with ability and anagrams of ability.
Definitions of "ability"
- The quality of being able to do something, especially the physical, mental, financial, or legal power to accomplish something. noun
- A natural or acquired skill or talent. noun
- The quality of being suitable for or receptive to a specified treatment; capacity: the ability of a computer to be configured for use as a file server. See Usage Note at able. noun
- The quality or state of being able; power to perform, whether physical, moral, intellectual, conventional, or legal; capacity; skill or competence in doing; sufficiency of strength, skill, resources, etc.; -- in the plural, faculty, talent. noun
- The state or condition of being able; power or capacity to do or act in any relation; competence in any occupation or field of action, from the possession of capacity, skill, means, or other qualification. noun
- plural In a concrete sense, talents; mental gifts or endowments. noun
- The condition of being able to pay or to meet pecuniary obligations; possession of means: called distinctively financial or pecuniary ability. noun
- That which is within one's power to do; best endeavor. noun
- Synonyms Ability, Capacity, power, strength, skill, dexterity; faculty, capability, qualification, efficiency. Ability denotes active power or power to perform, and is used with regard to power of any kind. Capacity conveys the idea of receptiveness, of the possession of resources; it is potential rather than actual, and may be no more than undeveloped ability. Ability is manifested in action, while capacity does not imply action, as when we speak of a capacity for virtue. Capacity is the gift of nature; ability is partly the result of education or opportunity. noun
- Abilities, Talents, Parts, etc. (see genius), gifts, faculty, aptitude, accomplishments. noun
- See -able, -bility, -ibility. noun
- possession of the qualities (especially mental qualities) required to do something or get something done noun
- the quality of being able to perform; a quality that permits or facilitates achievement or accomplishment noun
The word "ability" in example sentences
Spending beyond your ability is a horrible trait in any one but in a government it is criminal.. [The House votes to buy National park not in U.S.!]
“This ability is usually associated with direct marketing campaigns such as telemarketing, e-mail marketing, or direct mail.”. [Phorm Storm: Ertugrul speaks]
I am sure that the ability is there, but know that my record of harnessing it is not very promising.. [Dear Jeremy]
And this ability is analogous to writing well with insightful things to say.. [More Dollar Bills on the Sidewalk, Bryan Caplan | EconLog | Library of Economics and Liberty]
This ability is the one persistent clue to his secret origins; it's also the reason he is pursued by Rahul Moghe, the only other person with this ability.. [REVIEW: The Year's Best Science Fiction #25 edited by Gardner Dozois]
He was eloquent which I define as the ability to take complex things and make them simple to understand to a jury of your peers.. [Edwards Coins New Phrase For Escalation: "The McCain Doctrine"]
It is Indonesia's many layers that have allowed moderate Islam to flourish in this nation of 240 million people, said Hasyim, explaining that NU has taken on the posture of moderation, which he called the ability to balance between faith and tolerance.. [Sara Schonhardt: A Sacrificial Feast in Indonesia]
Clayton devised the first empirical tests for wisdom, which she defined as the ability to acquire knowledge and analyze it both logically and emotionally — picking up on the work begun by Socrates, around the time the Peloponnesian War began to turn into what we would call a "quagmire.". [Don’t Forget the Owls]
Why is it that all the other candidates were and are fully connected with their voice - which I define as the ability to fully and richly communicate who you are, what you stand for, and why you should be entrusted with the presidency?. [Adam Hanft: Hillary Didn't Find Her Voice, She Was Channelling Expediency]
They've been pushing for what they call "variable pricing," which they define as the ability to raise prices on some records while lowering them on others.. [Richard Bradley: Record Companies Screwing Consumers Again]
Perhaps the best read on his ability is his performance last summer with the U.S. national team.. [USATODAY.com - Teixeira is this year's hitting phenom]
I can see from your game that the ability is there to be in the top 10. '' '. [USA TODAY Latest news]
This ability is his eminent and secret talent, and it gives the imprint of the masterpiece to his literary work.. [Nobel Prize in Literature 1933 - Presentation Speech]
"Know power and be powerful," which they define as the ability to effect change and get action.. [The Globe and Mail - Home RSS feed]
Far from being a cost center, today's best marketing organizations provide both long term visibility into revenue results and short term ability to identify and impact the factors that can most improve revenue performance in the short term.. 
I would dispute what you characterize as the ability to alter DADT in a "real way".. [Queerty]
Ability TranslatesAbility English to Turkish Translate
(i). iktidar, yetenek, kabiliyet; marifet, hüner; dirayet, zekâ; huk ehliyet, kudret abilities (i) kabiliyetler; hassalar, melekeler.(i). iktidar, yetenek, kabiliyet; marifet, hüner; dirayet, zekâ; huk ehliyet, kudret abilities (i) kabiliyetler; hassalar, melekeler.