Acting Wiki - What is the acting?
What does the word acting mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word acting in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with acting and anagrams of acting.
Definitions of "acting"
- Temporarily assuming the duties or authority of another. See Synonyms at temporary. adjective
- That contains directions for use in a dramatic performance: the play's acting text. adjective
- That is appropriate for dramatic performance: an acting comedy. adjective
- The occupation of an actor or actress. noun
- Performance as an actor or actress. noun
- False behavior; pretense. noun
- Temporarily assuming the duties or authority of another person when they are unable to do their job. adjective
- Present participle of act. verb
- An intended action or deed. noun
- Pretending. noun
- The occupation of an actor. noun
- The deeds or actions of parties are called actings to avoid confusion with the legal senses of deeds and actions. noun
- Operating in any way. adjective
- Doing duty for another; officiating. adjective
- Performing duty, service, or functions; specifically, performing the functions of an office or employment temporarily: as, an acting governor or mayor; an acting colonel or superintendent.
- Performing, or used in performing, stage-plays.
- The profession of an actor or player. noun
- serving temporarily especially as a substitute adjective
- the performance of a part or role in a drama noun
The word "acting" in example sentences
For, in truth, he is not acting in his own interest but in that of a third person, who has yet to come into existence, albeit he is under the impression that he is acting in his own But it is this very _acting in some one else's interest_ which is everywhere the stamp of greatness and gives to passionate love the touch of the sublime, making it a worthy subject for the poet.. [Essays of Schopenhauer]
(acting normally on the advice _acting on advice of Irish of Irish Cabinet?), but subject Cabinet_, but subject to to instructions from Imperial instructions from Imperial. [The Framework of Home Rule]
There are some fairly creepy set pieces but nothing really stands out, the acting is average, the plot is hackneyed and derivative, the direction is average.. [Movie Review – The Unborn]
Yes she will be in a horror film but her acting is the best compared to the rest of the class.. ['Gossip Girl' cast: Who's picking the best movies? | EW.com]
The rest of the acting is acceptable, and Jesse Eisenberg plays a vastly different young man than he does in “Adventureland.”. [Current Movie Reviews, Independent Movies - Film Threat]
The story seems slow, subplots feel inconsequential and there as filler, and some of the acting is about as bland as a Raman noodle.. [Archive 2009-09-01]
There's exactly the right amount of action, to me, and all the acting is at least good, sometimes very good.. [Sarah Connor Chronicles: What did we end up with?]
Yes, the acting is a little stuffy and the story, a blend of Sasquatch-meets-the-legendary Chupacabra, is lacking in originality.. [Current Movie Reviews, Independent Movies - Film Threat]
That's what you call acting on principle rather than pandering for votes like Obama.. [Hillary Camp Hits Obama Over Private Assertion To Teamsters]
That wrench is the dog: whose attention to attention, whose seeming mind reading, looks anecdotally just like what we call acting with a theory of mind.. [INSIDE OF A DOG]
The SFX are a bit dodgy and some of the acting is a bit wooden to say the least (especially from Sam Jones and Melody Anderson).. [Show #14: Pre-show Discussion : The Kick-Ass Mystic Ninjas]
The rest of the cast appear to be amateurs, if their acting is any indication.. [Current Movie Reviews, Independent Movies - Film Threat]
If the acting is as wooden as Pinocchio, the sets are created from tin foil and baling wire, and the writing is hackneyed but it is An Authentic Representation of 14th-Century Life, then Joan will gush about it.. [A Two-Movie Weekend]
I think, however, that what you call acting according to impulse is simply an excuse to cover your own laziness. '. [Humorous Masterpieces from American Literature]
Of what we call acting there is little, little change in the expression of the face.. [Plays, Acting and Music A Book Of Theory]
On the occasion of my visit there was little of what we call acting, but endless elocution.. [Roving East and Roving West]