Actual Wiki - What is the actual?
What does the word actual mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word actual in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with actual and anagrams of actual.
Definitions of "actual"
- Existing and not merely potential or possible. See Synonyms at real1. adjective
- Being, existing, or acting at the present moment; current. adjective
- Based on fact: an actual account of the accident. adjective
- Existing in act or reality, not just potentially; really acted or acting; occurring in fact adjective
- Factual, real, not just apparent or even false adjective
- In action at the time being; now existing. adjective
- Active, not passive adjective
- Used to emphasise a noun or verb, whether something is real or metaphorical. adjective
- An actual, real one; notably: noun
- Involving or comprising action; active. adjective
- Existing in act or reality; really acted or acting; in fact; real; -- opposed to
potential, possible, virtual, speculative, conceivable, theoretical, or nominaladjective
- In action at the time being; now exiting; present; as the actual situation of the country. adjective
- Something actually received; real, as distinct from estimated, receipts. noun
- Active; practical.
- In full existence; real; denoting that which not merely can be, but is: opposed to potential, apparent, constructive, and imaginary.
- Now existing; present: opposed to past and future: as, in the actual condition of affairs.
- An individual as containing in it species, or a species as containing in it genera; a metaphysical or formal whole. So actual parts.
- Synonyms Actual, Positive, etc. (see real), veritable, genuine, certain, absolute.
- existing in act or fact adjective
The word "actual" in example sentences
We have the total waste of $225,496,741 and this, reduced to its actual significance, means that of the total actual terminations, 83.6 per cent. was _actual waste_ and only 16.4 per cent. legitimate terminations, while the great bulk of the last item of. [Frenzied Finance Vol. 1: The Crime of Amalgamated]
Uses HTML:: Parser which is tolerant of unbalanced tags, so the actual may have unbalanced tags which will assert_html_matches ($expected, $actual, $message). [TWiki.Codev]
affairs; a military limited in size and scope to actual protection of U.S. territory and its population; tight rein on foreign military alliances; no participation in major conflicts without an *actual*. [Coyote Blog » Blog Archive » Inauguration Day Party Pooper]
For Lewis, ˜actual™ is an indexical term: when I speak of the actual world, I refer to the world of which I am an inhabitant ” and so for any speaker who is “in” (who is a part of) any world.. [Metaphysics]
Assistant U.S. Solicitor General Eric Feigin countered that, based on the context and history of the legislation, the phrase "actual damages" covers only out-of-pocket expenses.. [USATODAY.com News]
In the term actual grace, actual does not mean "real" or "factual," but. [About.com Catholicism]
The term actual term 'weblog' was coined by Jorn Barger on 17 December 1997 but the term. [Search Engine War]
The distinction is well made by Griffin 1985 p. 185 between what he calls the actual world of real causal efficacy and the world as it appears to our sensory perception, especially vision.. [The ecological model of the universe]
And the defense secretary retraced what he called the actual history of how the U.S. got involved in Iraq. [CNN Transcript Nov 15, 2005]
England and everyone on the courtroom listened to a speakerphone as Specialist Matthew Wisdom, a guard at Abu Ghraib, told of the night in November of last year when he witnessed what he called the actual abuse, the beatings.. [CNN Transcript Aug 5, 2004]
But now critic are saying some satellite and pay per view channels are crossing the line into what they call actual pornography.. [CNN Transcript Dec 22, 2003]
Sir Timothy, dragging his household with him, set up what he called actual time, and breakfasted a full two hours after the progressive party.. [Our Casualty, and Other Stories 1918]
As we've outlined on previous earnings call and as Mike mentioned, Q3 is what we refer to as an actual versus expected, or A versus E quarter for both our global Insurance segment and our U.S. Reinsurance business.. 
She wondered why Newsweek had not put what she called an "actual journalist" on the cover, instead of Sullivan.. [The Full Feed from HuffingtonPost.com]
Water vapor is vastly greater in actual effect than CO2, you going to ban that too?. [The Volokh Conspiracy » Comment on Kerry-Lieberman Climate Bill]
Alex J says: the Colonel (ret): Water vapor is vastly greater in actual effect than CO2, you going to ban that too?. [The Volokh Conspiracy » Comment on Kerry-Lieberman Climate Bill]