Alternative Wiki - What is the alternative?
What does the word alternative mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word alternative in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with alternative and anagrams of alternative.
Definitions of "alternative"
- One of a number of possible choices or courses of action. noun
- A choice or course of action that is mutually exclusive with another: synonym: choice. noun
- A situation presenting a choice between two mutually exclusive possibilities. noun
- Being one of a number of possible choices or courses of action. adjective
- Being one of two mutually exclusive choices or courses of action. adjective
- Substitute or other. adjective
- Existing outside traditional or established institutions or systems. adjective
- Espousing or reflecting values that are different from those of the establishment or mainstream. adjective
- Of two things, such that only one can be selected or only one is possible, etc.; mutually exclusive.
- Affording a choice between two things, or a possibility of one thing out of two; given or offered for selection, as against something else: as, an alternative proposition; he presented an alternative statement.
- Alternate; reciprocal. Holland.
- In botany, having the parts of the inner whorl alternate with the outer: applied to the estivation or arrangement of the parts of the perianth in the bud.
- A choice between two things; a possibility of one of two things. noun
- One of two things of which either is possible or may be chosen. noun
- In the Roman Catholic Church, an arrangement by which the pope nominates to vacant benefices only in alternate months, at other times leaving the nomination to the bishop of the diocese or to the regular patron. The month counted is that in which the benefice becomes vacant. noun
- An offer of two things, one of which may be chosen, but not both; a choice between two things, so that if one is taken, the other must be left. noun
The word "alternative" in example sentences
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary = "= _alternative 0082E6BDC2257785_ =". [The Web Security Mailing List (WASC)]
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary = "= _alternative 00809D0DC2257785_ =". [The Web Security Mailing List (WASC)]
The term alternative medicine also called alternative treatments or alternative therapies describes any healing practice that is outside the boundaries of conventional Western medicine.. [The 10 Best Questions™ for Recovering from a Heart Attack]
It also marked the first time I heard the term "alternative energy.". [Forbes.com: News]
It takes him a moment to answer, The word alternative is a lot like the word option.. [Veracity]
Now it's 2011 and most of those bands have made the label "alternative" essentially meaningless but we're going to look back for one night only at a beautiful, weird time in music by singing-along to the music videos of these musical pioneers/oddities.. [The Full Feed from HuffingtonPost.com]
If you're a fan of comedy you've probably heard the phrase "alternative comedy" thrown around, but maybe you've never known exactly what that's supposed to.... [The Full Feed from HuffingtonPost.com]
She said the union prefers the term alternative compensation pay to merit pay.. [coloradoan.com - Local News]
In the United States the term alternative therapy is used to describe medical treatments or interventions that have not been scientifically documented or identified as safe and effective for a specific condition.. [Tips and Answers]
Calling for a rigid rule may seem wishful, but the alternative is a dangerous false choice between high deficits and high taxes.. [How to Grow Out of the Deficit]
Also, another alternative is the use of Plexiglas/magnetic storm windows such as those sold by Sears or ECP.. [SciFi, Fantasy & Horror Collectibles - Part 5950]
I still tend to side with "give them a treat" because ... well, the alternative is a "trick" and who wants to clean off toilet paper from their house the next morning?. [You Were Rubbish, Sir]
Should it not be sufficient to keep me going my only other alternative is a heart transplant.. [McCain says 'ambiguous' health bills fuel 'death panel' claims]
However, if the alternative is a Nintendo or Wii, then sports win hands down.. [Cautionary words (Jack Bog's Blog)]
One young opposition leader, parliamentarian Nurul Izzah Anwar, the daughter of former deputy prime minister Anwar Ibrahim, has proposed a national debate on what she called the alternative visions of Malaysia's future — whether it should be a Malay nation or a Malaysian nation.. [The Price of Malaysia's Racism]
Given that the alternative is the creation, production, and operation of an entirely new heavy lift vehicle at the hands of NASA, it will.. [Reader's Consensus: Develop a new launch vehicle - NASA Watch]