Artery Wiki - What is the artery?
What does the word artery mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word artery in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with artery and anagrams of artery.
Definitions of "artery"
- Anatomy Any of the muscular elastic tubes that form a branching system and that carry blood away from the heart to the cells, tissues, and organs of the body. noun
- A major route of transportation into which local routes flow. See Synonyms at way. noun
- An efferent blood vessel from the heart, conveying blood away from the heart regardless of oxygenation status; see pulmonary artery. noun
- A major transit corridor. noun
- The trachea or windpipe. noun
- One of the vessels or tubes which carry either venous or arterial blood from the heart. They have tricker and more muscular walls than veins, and are connected with them by capillaries. noun
- Hence: Any continuous or ramified channel of communication. noun
- To supply with arteries; figuratively, to traverse like arteries.
- The trachea or windpipe. noun
- One of a system of cylindrical, membranous, elastic, and muscular vessels or tubes, which convey the blood from the heart to all parts of the body by ramifications which as they proceed diminish in size and increase in number, and terminate in minute capillaries which unite the ends of the arteries with the beginnings of the veins. noun
- A main channel in any ramifying system of communication, as in drainage. noun
- a major thoroughfare that bears important traffic noun
- a blood vessel that carries blood from the heart to the body noun
The word "artery" in example sentences
The chief artery conveying blood to the lungs is the _pulmonary artery_.. [Physiology and Hygiene for Secondary Schools]
_innominate_, as anatomists name a certain bone the _innominate bone_, and a certain artery the _innominate artery_.. [Moral Philosophy]
This latter point is critical to the DOT, since Atlantic Avenue is a main artery to downtown Brooklyn.. [Jeff Sherman: Taming a Dangerous Intersection in Brooklyn]
Halfway through, it was revealed that the left arm had no blood flow to it: the main artery was a knot in the mushy bicep.. [AT COST • by saintsally]
The city's vibrant and sizable Latino community has its main artery on 26th Street, which is already papered in red-and-blue "Luis Gutierrez for Mayor" signs, even though this nine-term congressman has yet to commit to the race.. [For candidate Emanuel, some see steep learning curve]
For example, doctors have been taught for many years that an open artery is always better than a closed one.. [Dr. Jon LaPook: How To Save Billions in Health Costs Starting Now]
Traffic on this main artery was disrupted for hours.. [State Department Travel Alert]
Hit an eye or penetrate through the skin into an artery is serious and can be instantly fatal.. [.177-Caliber Parenting]
When the heart squeezes, the left ventricle (the lower left chamber) contracts, pushing blood out into the aorta, the main artery that takes blood to the body.. [Aortic Regurgitation]
The aorta is the main artery that carries oxygenated blood out of the heart to the body.. [Coarctation of the Aorta]
BTW, hunters, that artery is called the "femoral" and do nothing like with your knife that gets anywhere near your thigh or crotch, you absolutely do * not* want it cut.. [Several of the old timers have not posted for a while. Wonder what's going on with those guys.]
I mean, the femoral artery is SUCH the better place for a vampire to drink from, am I right?. [Top Five Geek TV Shows of the Decade « Giant Killer Squid - Film, Comics, News, Reviews and more]
Doritos, 7-11 chicken wings coated in artery-clogging gelatinous goo and DQ Blizzards.. [What's your food Kryptonite?]
All the zones are connected through a main artery staircase. digg this digg this email this email this tweet this tweet this facebook this facebook this. [Macquarie Bank’s Green Office is Part Space Station, Part Cathedral Macquarie Bank Headquarters by Clive Wilkinson Architects (CWA) – Inhabitat]
It was bleeding freely; the main artery had been torn, but he did not know it.. [FINIS]
The aorta ends up being connected to the right ventricle, and the pulmonary artery is connected to the left ventricle, which is the opposite of how they are normally connected.. [Cardiac terms and definitions]