Astronomy Wiki - What is the astronomy?
Astronomy (from Greek: ἀστρονομία) is a natural science that studies celestial objects and phenomena. It applies mathematics, physics, and chemistry in an effort to explain the origin of those objects and phenomena and their evolution. Objects of interest include planets, moons, stars, galaxies, and comets; the phenomena also includes supernova explosions, gamma ray bursts, quasars blazars, pulsars, and cosmic microwave background radiation. More generally, all phenomena that originate outside Earth's atmosphere are within the purview of astronomy. A related but distinct subject is physical cosmology, which is the study of the Universe as a whole.Astronomy is one of the oldest of the natural sciences. The early civilizations in recorded history, such as the Babylonians, Greeks, Indians, Egyptians, Nubians, Iranians, Chinese, Maya, and many ancient indigenous peoples of the Americas, performed methodical observations of the night sky. Historically, astronomy has included disciplines as diverse as astrometry, celestial navigation, observational astronomy, and the making of calendars, but professional astronomy is now often considered to be synonymous with astrophysics.Professional astronomy is split into observational and theoretical branches. Observational astronomy is focused on acquiring data from observations of astronomical objects, which is then analyzed using basic principles of physics. Theoretical astronomy is oriented toward the development of computer or analytical models to describe astronomical objects and phenomena. The two fields complement each other, with theoretical astronomy seeking to explain observational results and observations being used to confirm theoretical results. Astronomy is one of the few sciences in which amateurs still play an active role, especially in the discovery and observation of transient events. Amateur astronomers have made and contributed to many important astronomical discoveries, such as finding new comets..
What does the word astronomy mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word astronomy in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with astronomy and anagrams of astronomy.
Definitions of "astronomy"
- The scientific study of matter in outer space, especially the positions, dimensions, distribution, motion, composition, energy, and evolution of celestial bodies and phenomena. noun
- A system of knowledge or beliefs about celestial phenomena: the various astronomies of ancient civilizations. noun
- The study of the physical universe beyond the Earth's atmosphere, including the process of mapping locations and properties of the matter and radiation in the universe. noun
- Astrology. noun
- The science which treats of the celestial bodies, of their magnitudes, motions, distances, periods of revolution, eclipses, constitution, physical condition, and of the causes of their various phenomena. noun
- A treatise on, or text-book of, the science. noun
- The science which describes the heavenly bodies and explains their apparent motions, etc. noun
- Astrological skill. noun
- Several other branches of the science are recognized: gravitational astronomy or astronomical mechanics, replacing the term physical astronomy, which is now generally discarded because of the danger of confusion with astronomical physics or astrophysics; nautical astronomy, astronomy applied to navigation; sidereal astronomy, the branch of the science which deals with the stars; spheric astronomy, which treats of the apparent position and motions of bodies on the celestial sphere; theoretical astronomy, which deals with the calculation of orbits and perturbations. These various branches interlace in all directions. noun
- the branch of physics that studies celestial bodies and the universe as a whole noun
The word "astronomy" in example sentences
Shortly after Joe Haldeman received a Bachelor of Science degree in astronomy from the University of Maryland, he was drafted into the army where he served (and received a Purple Heart medal) as a combat engineer in Vietnam.. [MIND MELD: Which Authors and Books Have Most Influenced Your Writing?]
As a result, my trying to keep up with what's going on in astronomy is largely an internet affair.. [Comet Schwassmann-Wachmann 3]
Your duties will consist of instructing others in that new science which you call astronomy and in applying it for the welfare of humanity.. [Lost on Venus]
And astronomy is building that map, and trying to help break down those boundaries of today.. [SciFi, Fantasy & Horror Collectibles - Part 1131]
In the mean time, astronomy is paving the path for ours and future generations to follow.. [SciFi, Fantasy & Horror Collectibles - Part 1131]
The discovery of extrasolar planets -- one of the hardest things to do in astronomy -- has been especially replete with false alarms.. [Seth Shostak: Bye Bye to a Lovely Planet]
Astronomycast is aimed at anyone interested in astronomy and is particularly good for people dipping their toes into the idea of learning a bit on their own.. [history of science]
(In homage to Nehru's interest in astronomy, the city's planetarium is next door.) 12: 10 A.M. INDIRA GANDHI. [City Walk: New Delhi]
Panel discussions were fun - Bri and/or I were on panels about anime/manga, The Bride of Frankenstein, movie remakes, what's new in astronomy, drawing videogame characters and dragons (for kids programming), etc.. [Guidolon sampler]
If this has been done I tell you honestly that I wish never to see Clare Hall again, for if they cannot rival their young Mistress in astronomy and Music, they come very close to you Ladies all on the score of grace.. [Letter 258]
One of the things that I find very cool about astronomy is that it is one of the few fields of science in which amateurs can make important discoveries.. [Caroline Moore: 14-year old Astronomer]
Amateurs still make a difference in several areas of science ... astronomy is one.. [sweet discovery]
It is dated, amazing things have happened in astronomy since then, but may be the best science show ever done for television.. [education]
The mountains are gorgeous, the skies are clear, and the radio astronomy is diverse and exciting!. [Archive 2009-01-06]
Also, if we're going to talk about women in astronomy, we can't forget the pioneers, The Harvard Computers.. [AstroGrrls Unite!]
SarahAskew celebrates with a nod to some of the space-girls on the blogosphere (thank you!!) and the Bad Astronomer (not a girl, but he's cool anyway) also recognizes female achievement in astronomy and reflects on where we've been, and where we're going.. [AstroGrrls Unite!]
Astronomy TranslatesAstronomy English to Turkish Translate
(i) astronomi, yıldızlar ilmi.(i) astronomi, yıldızlar ilmi.