Average Wiki - What is the average?
In colloquial language, an average is a single number taken as representative of a list of numbers. Different concepts of average are used in different contexts. Often "average" refers to the arithmetic mean, the sum of the numbers divided by how many numbers are being averaged. In statistics, mean, median, and mode are all known as measures of central tendency, and in colloquial usage any of these might be called an average value..
What does the word average mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word average in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with average and anagrams of average.
Definitions of "average"
- Mathematics A number that typifies a set of numbers of which it is a function. noun
- Mathematics See arithmetic mean. noun
- An intermediate level or degree: near the average in size. noun
- The usual or ordinary kind or quality: Although the wines vary, the average is quite good. noun
- Sports The ratio of a team's or player's successful performances such as wins, hits, or goals, divided by total opportunities for successful performance, such as games, times at bat, or shots: finished the season with a .500 average; a batting average of .274. noun
- Law The loss of a ship or cargo, caused by damage at sea. noun
- Law The incurrence of damage or loss of a ship or cargo at sea. noun
- Law The equitable distribution of such a loss among concerned parties. noun
- Law A charge incurred through such a loss. noun
- Nautical Small expenses or charges that are usually paid by the master of a ship. noun
- Mathematics Of, relating to, or constituting an average. adjective
- Being intermediate between extremes, as on a scale: a player of average ability. adjective
- Usual or ordinary in kind or character: a poll of average people; average eyesight. adjective
- Assessed in accordance with the law of averages. adjective
- Mathematics To calculate the average of: average a set of numbers. verb-transitive
- To do or have an average of: averaged three hours of work a day. verb-transitive
- To distribute proportionately: average one's income over four years so as to minimize the tax rate. verb-transitive
- To be or amount to an average: Some sparrows are six inches long, but they average smaller. Our expenses averaged out to 45 dollars per day. verb-intransitive
- average down To purchase shares of the same security at successively lower prices in order to reduce the average price of one's position. phrasal-verb
The word "average" in example sentences
At Tavoy, on the Tenasserim coast, the maximum rate of productiveness of the rice land was, in 1825, and is still believed to be, nearly the same as the average of Siam; while their _average_ was only twenty-fold.. [The Commercial Products of the Vegetable Kingdom Considered in Their Various Uses to Man and in Their Relation to the Arts and Manufactures; Forming a Practical Treatise & Handbook of Reference for the Colonist, Manufacturer, Merchant, and Consumer, on the Cultivation, Preparation for Shipment, and Commercial Value, &c. of the Various Substances Obtained From Trees and Plants, Entering into the Husbandry of Tropical and Sub-tropical Regions, &c.]
The average weight of brain, in 278 Europeans, was 49.50 oz., in 24 White American soldiers, 52.06 oz., indicating a greater _average_ for the American brain.. [The People's Common Sense Medical Adviser in Plain English or, Medicine Simplified, 54th ed., One Million, Six Hundred and Fifty Thousand]
_average_ novel of the third quarter of the century -- in a more than average but not of an extraordinary, transcendental, or quintessential condition -- Anthony Trollope is about as good a representative as can be found.. [The English Novel]
f, densitometry of the bands from (e), normalized to β-actin; N = normal brain, S = sham, C = contra-lateral, I = ischemic; Graph depicts the average of at least three separate experiments, and the average+ / − the S.E.M. is shown; Panel III.. [PLoS ONE Alerts: New Articles]
Means, medians, and modes are kinds of averages; usually, however, the term average refers to a mean.. [average]
The term average originally meant what is now distinguished as general average; and the expression. [Encyclopaedia Britannica, 11th Edition, Volume 3, Part 1, Slice 1 "Austria, Lower" to "Bacon"]
What "Average" means - Many of us use the term average when we discuss metrics, this is a great primer to understand the term better.. [FutureNow's GrokDotCom / Marketing Optimization Blog]
The numbers are even higher in places like Chicago, where the average is almost $42,000.. [Akito Yoshikane: The Pension Pinch: Public-Sector Unions Grapple With Rhetoric and Rollbacks]
The long-term average is about 80%, and with current growth rates we should be there in a year.. [No More Steroids Needed For U.S. Economy]
Once decided that idea needs to be written, not once but rewritten several times (my average is around six drafts per story). [Knowing Your Process: What « Write Anything]
Sure, there's a litany of movies based on King's stories, and the average is about half-good and half-bad.. [Archive 2009-08-01]
Even for Pope and Young bucks, the average is around 21 yards.. [Steep Shots Simplified]
For some, the average turns out to be a recognizable image; for others the average is a colored blob.. [Visualizing the English Language]
Anyway the average is about two or three day and the risk could be called 15 per million per year.. [Archive 2007-04-29]
India's monsoon rains this year will be below normal, around 93% of the long-term average, which is lower than the previous forecast of 96%, Science and Technology Minister Prithviraj Chavan said Wednesday.. [Monsoon Likely to Advance Soon]
India's monsoon rains this year will be around 93% of the long-term average, which is lower than the previous forecast of 96% for 2009, according to the weather department.. [Monsoon Likely to Advance to Rest of Central India by July 4]
Average TranslatesAverage English to Turkish Translate
(f). ortasını bulmak, vasatisini alrnak; vasati olarak yapmak veya almak; vasati yekun tutmak.(f). ortasını bulmak, vasatisini alrnak; vasati olarak yapmak veya almak; vasati yekun tutmak.
News about average
Tell Us Your Best San Diego Travel Tips
When someone says “in this movie, the city is like another character,” they usually don’t mean Anchorman. This week Hack Your City goes to San Diego, a city that sure sounds comfortable right now. Look at their average monthly temperatures—my apartment has a …
How Much Would We Have to Pay You to Quit Facebook for a Year?
College students in a recent study demanded an average of $2,076 to quit Facebook for a year. As Ars Technica explains, this wasn’t just a survey—researchers actually held little auctions to pay the lowest bidder to quit for a day, three days, a week, and a y…
This Is the Best Time to Book Flights in 2019
If you’re planning on buying a plane ticket soon you might want to set an alarm. Read more...