Beautiful Wiki - What is the beautiful?
Beautiful, an adjective used to describe things as possessing beauty, .
What does the word beautiful mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word beautiful in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with beautiful and anagrams of beautiful.
Definitions of "beautiful"
- Having qualities that delight the senses, especially the sense of sight. adjective
- Excellent; wonderful. adjective
- Attractive and possessing charm. adjective
- pleasant; clear. adjective
- well executed adjective
- How beautiful that is! adjective
- How unfortunate that is! adjective
- Having the qualities which constitute beauty; pleasing to the sight or the mind. adjective
- Full of beauty; possessing qualities that delight the senses, especially the eye or the ear, or awaken admiration or approval in the mind. See beauty, 1.
- Synonyms Beautiful, Beauteous, Handsome, Pretty, Fair, Lovely, Comely, charming, all apply to that which is highly pleasing, especially to the eye. Beautiful, the most general of these words, is also often the noblest and most spiritual, expressing that which gives the highest satisfaction to eye, ear, mind, or soul. Beauteous is chiefly poetic, and covers the less spiritual part of beautiful. Handsome is founded upon the notion of proportion, symmetry, as the result of cultivation or work; a handsome figure is strictly one that has been developed by attention to physical laws into the right proportions. It is less spiritual than beautiful; a handsome face is not necessarily a beautiful face. Handsome applies to larger or more important things than pretty: as, a handsome house; a pretty cottage. It is opposed to homely. Pretty applies to that which has symmetry and delicacy, a diminutive beauty, without the higher qualities of gracefulness, dignity, feeling, purpose, etc. A thing not small of its kind may be called pretty if it is of little dignity or consequence: as, a pretty dress or shade of color; but pretty is not used of men or their belongings, except in contempt. Fair starts from the notion of a brightness that catches the eye; it notes that sort of beauty which delights the eye by complexion and feature; in this sense it is now less common in prose. Lovely is a strong word for that which is immediately pleasing to the eye; it applies primarily to that which excites admiration and love. Comely applies rather to the human figure, chiefly in its proportions; it is used less commonly than handsome to express the result of care or training. See elegant.
- delighting the senses or exciting intellectual or emotional admiration adjective
- (of weather) highly enjoyable adjective
The word "beautiful" in example sentences
He owes (owns, possesses,) a beautiful harp -- _beautiful_!. [Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine, Vol 58, No. 357, July 1845]
Where the adjectives and adverbs have two or more syllables, most of them are compared by the use of the adverbs _more_ and _most_, or, if the comparison be a descending one, by the use of _less_ and _least_; as, _beautiful, more beautiful, most beautiful_, and. [Practical Grammar and Composition]
-- _More beautiful, most beautiful_, etc. can hardly be called degree forms of the adjective.. [Higher Lessons in English A work on english grammar and composition]
His delight in battle arises solely from the loss of a beloved wife, and sadly calculated was the end of the beautiful Mrs Macduff to make the most serious impression on a husband's mind, all the more so, perhaps, in that so fully did she merit that epithet _beautiful_ which was always attached to her name.. [The Letter-Bag of Lady Elizabeth Spencer-Stanhope — Volume 1]
Indoors I can't breathe -- but out of doors and at night this Paris of ours, -- ah! she is still beautiful -- _beautiful_!. [The History of David Grieve]
She was very young, I remember now with sorrow, and very beautiful; though _beautiful_ is not so much the word to describe her as _charming_ -- magnetic, graceful, intelligent.. [The New Penelope and Other Stories and Poems]
It may be said of many a man, as d'Annunzio says of the hero of his _Trionfo della Morte_ in relation to the woman he loved, that "he felt himself bound to her by the real qualities of her body, and not only by those which were most beautiful, but specially by _those which were least beautiful_" (the novelist italicizes these words), so that his attention was fixed upon her defects, and emphasized them, thus arousing within himself an impetuous state of desire.. [Studies in the Psychology of Sex, Volume 4 Sexual Selection In Man]
How beautiful, how _beautiful_ it is to be alive! ". [Soap-Bubble Stories For Children]
Oh, you are going to get such a beautiful, _beautiful_ bird! ". [Fifty-Two Stories For Girls]
Yes, Miss Montague, if we can only work it up it will be a beautiful case -- a _beautiful_ case, "he concluded, with singular enthusiasm.. [True Love's Reward]
"You live in such a beautiful, _beautiful_ place, with such an elegant husband, too!. [Ernest Linwood or, The Inner Life of the Author]
Leslie does not mean this as an insult, though perhaps she uses the word beautiful less easily than I.. [Let Me Eat Cake]
Although no attempt at decoration is ever made, either of the inside or the outside of the houses, it is not uncommon to hear the term beautiful applied to them.. [Navaho Houses, pages 469-518 Seventeenth Annual Report of the Bureau of Ethnology to the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution, 1895-1896, Government Printing Office, Washington, 1898]
Also this song is similar to Beautiful Disaster (hence the title beautiful mess) but now were watching it in Robs perspective.. [WN.com - Business News]
In the surface the term beautiful mess can stand for Kristen not being the typical Hollywood starlet that weve been abused with.. [WN.com - Business News]
The term beautiful gets thrown around a lot these days, when in fact there really aren't that many celeb ladies worthy of the title - to quote that old saying 'They don't make em like they used to'. [Entertainment - Female First]
Beautiful TranslatesBeautiful English to Turkish Translate
(s). güzel, latif, hoş, zarif. beautifully (z). güzel bir şekilde.(s). güzel, latif, hoş, zarif. beautifully (z). güzel bir şekilde.