Bitter Wiki - What is the bitter?
What does the word bitter mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word bitter in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with bitter and anagrams of bitter.
Definitions of "bitter"
- Having or being a taste that is sharp, acrid, and unpleasant. adjective
- Causing a sharply unpleasant, painful, or stinging sensation; harsh. adjective
- Difficult or distasteful to accept, admit, or bear. adjective
- Proceeding from or exhibiting strong animosity. adjective
- Resulting from or expressive of severe grief, anguish, or disappointment. adjective
- Marked by resentment or cynicism. adjective
- In an intense or harsh way; bitterly. adverb
- To make bitter. transitive verb
- That which is bitter. noun
- A bitter, usually alcoholic liquid made with herbs or roots and used in cocktails or as a tonic. noun
- A sharp-tasting beer made with hops. noun
- Having a harsh taste, like that of wormwood or quinine.
- Hence Unpalatable; hard to swallow, literally or figuratively: as, a bitter pill; a bitter lesson.
- Hard to be borne; grievous; distressful; calamitous: as, a bitter moment; bitter fate.
- Causing pain or smart to the sense of feeling; piercing: painful; biting: as, bitter cold; “the bitter blast,”
- Harsh, as words; reproachful; sarcastic; cutting; sharp: as,“bitter taunts,”
- Cherishing or exhibiting animosity, hate, anger, or severity; cruel; severe; harsh; stern: as, “bitterest enmity,” Shak., Cor., iv. 4; “bitter enemies,”
- Evincing or betokening intense pain or suffering: as, a bitter cry.
- That which is bitter; bitterness. noun