Blueberry Wiki - What is the blueberry?
Blueberries are perennial flowering plants with blue– or purple–colored berries. They are classified in the section Cyanococcus within the genus Vaccinium. Vaccinium also includes cranberries, bilberries, and huckleberries. Commercial "blueberries" – including both wild ('lowbush') and cultivated ('highbush') blueberries – are all native to North America. The highbush blueberry varieties were introduced into Europe during the 1930s.Blueberries are usually prostrate shrubs that can vary in size from 10 centimeters (3.9 in) to 4 meters (13 ft) in height. In commercial production of blueberries, the species with small, pea–size berries growing on low–level bushes are known as "lowbush blueberries" (synonymous with "wild"), while the species with larger berries growing on taller cultivated bushes are known as "highbush blueberries". The leaves can be either deciduous or evergreen, ovate to lanceolate, and 1–8 cm (0.39–3.15 in) long and 0.5–3.5 cm (0.20–1.38 in) broad. The flowers are bell-shaped, white, pale pink or red, sometimes tinged greenish. The fruit is a berry 5–16 millimeters (0.20–0.63 in) in diameter with a flared crown at the end; they are pale greenish at first, then reddish-purple, and finally dark purple when ripe. They are covered in a protective coating of powdery epicuticular wax, colloquially known as the "bloom". They have a sweet taste when mature, with variable acidity. Blueberry bushes typically bear fruit in the middle of the growing season: fruiting times are affected by local conditions such as altitude and latitude, so the peak of the crop, in the northern hemisphere, can vary from May to August..
What does the word blueberry mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word blueberry in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with blueberry and anagrams of blueberry.
Definitions of "blueberry"
- Any of numerous plants of the genus Vaccinium, having white to reddish, urn-shaped or tubular flowers and edible blue to blue-black berries. noun
- The fruit of any of these plants. noun
- An edible round berry belonging to the cowberry family. (A botanically false berry.) It has flared "crowns" at the end that turn blue on ripening. noun
- The shrub of the above-mentioned berry. noun
- A dark blue colour. noun
- Of a dark blue colour. adjective
- To gather or forage for blueberries. verb
- The berry of several species of Vaccinium, an ericaceous genus, differing from the American huckleberries in containing numerous minute seeds instead of ten nutlets. The commonest species are Vaccinium Pennsylvanicum and Vaccinium vacillans. Vaccinium corymbosum is the tall blueberry. noun
- In America: The fruit of several species of Vaccinium, ordinarily distinguished from the various kinds of huckleberry by its blue color and smaller seeds. The swamp or tall blueberry is the Vaccinium corymbosum; the low blueberry, V. vacillans; and the dwarf blueberry, V. Pennsylvanicum. See bilberry. noun
- Another name of the cohosh, Caulophyllum thalictroides. noun
- In Australia: The fruit of the blueberry-tree, or the tree itself. noun
- The berry-like fruit of Dianella lævis, of the lily family. noun
- any of numerous shrubs of the genus Vaccinium bearing blueberries noun
- sweet edible dark-blue berries of either low-growing or high-growing blueberry plants noun
The word "blueberry" in example sentences
Kids who are 2 and 3 think the word blueberry is incredibly funny.. [Make It Picture Perfect]
They all sound yummy, but lemon-blueberry is one of my all-time favorite combos, so that gets my vote!. [Cupcake Poll #21: "Cupcake Heaven" by Susanna Blake]
One time I made blueberry pancakes and forgot to put the baking powder in, which resulted in blueberry hockey pucks that were barely edible.. [One Hundred Things]
"All work is expression," Fra Elbertus says, so why may I not express myself in blueberry pie and tomato soup?. [Sowing Seeds in Danny]
"The findings of this preliminary study suggest that moderate-term blueberry supplementation can confer neurocognitive benefit," write researcher Robert Krikorian, of the University of Cincinnati Academic Health Center, and colleagues in the. [Medlogs - Recent stories]
Who would've thunk that the blueberry is a "super fruit?". [Carleton Bryant: Blueberries aid brain power]
That said I like the idea of blueberry and buttermilk and will have to try this recipe next time I have a hankering for pancakes.. [blueberry pancakes + pancake 101 | smitten kitchen]
These look amazing ive never had american style pancakes but the idea of blueberry and buttermilk sounds great.. [blueberry pancakes + pancake 101 | smitten kitchen]
The vanilla was creamy and wonderful; the blueberry was a little flat-- not enough berries for my taste; and the banana was smooth and surprisingly good-- I say that because I usually hate banana ice cream.. [NEW YORK, NEW YORK...GOOD VEGAN EATING!]
I used the Icelandic blueberry, which is smaller, crisper and slightly more bitter than the blueberries I grew up with.. [Light dinner]
Senator Levin took the incident with good humor, saying he was sorry the filling was not blueberry, which is his favorite.. [Christian Science Monitor | All Stories]
For more information call the blueberry hotline at 304-368-8294.. [12 Top Stories, Sports and Weather]
The best the theater does for turning gum-chewing Violet into a blueberry is a little puffing of her beauty queen dress.. [Local News from Sarasota Herald-Tribune]
Pomegranates are popular right now -- the new blueberry, which is the fruit equivalent of the fashion world announcing a new black.. [Home]
The vanilla was creamy and wonderful; the blueberry was a little flat -- not enough berries for my taste; and the banana was smooth and surprisingly good -- I say that because I usually hate banana ice cream.. [Notes from the Vegan Feast Kitchen/ 21st Century Table]
Made of 100-percent Northwest-grown organic fruit, each bar contains two whole pears or apples, with varieties flavored with other fruits such as blueberry, strawberry, raspberry, cherry and cranberry.. [A year in gear: my top 10 products of 2010]
Blueberry TranslatesBlueberry English to Turkish Translate
i. yaban mersini.i. yaban mersini.