Century Wiki - What is the century?
A century (from the Latin centum, meaning one hundred; abbreviated c.) is a period of 100 years. Centuries are numbered ordinally in English and many other languages. A centenary is a hundredth anniversary, or a celebration of this, typically the remembrance of an event which took place a hundred years earlier..
What does the word century mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word century in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with century and anagrams of century.
Definitions of "century"
- A period of 100 years. noun
- Each of the successive periods of 100 years before or since the advent of the Christian era. noun
- A unit of the Roman army originally consisting of 100 men. noun
- One of the 193 electoral divisions of the Roman people. noun
- A group of 100 things. noun
- A period of 100 consecutive years; often specifically a numbered period with conventional start and end dates, e.g., the twentieth century, which stretches from (strictly) 1901 through 2000, or (informally) 1900 through 1999. The first century AD was from 1 to 100; a yearhundred. noun
- A unit in ancient Roman, originally of 100 army soldiers as part of a cohort, later of more varied sizes (but typically containing 60 to 70 or 80) soldiers or other men (guards, police, firemen), commanded by a centurion. noun
- A political division of ancient Rome, meeting in the Centuriate Assembly. noun
- A hundred things; a hundred. noun
- A hundred runs scored either by a single player in one innings, or by two players in a partnership. noun
- A ride 100 miles in length. noun
- A banknote in the denomination of one hundred dollars. noun
- A hundred; ; an aggregate of a hundred things. noun
- A period of a hundred years. noun
- A division of the Roman people formed according to their property, for the purpose of voting for civil officers. noun
- One of sixty companies into which a legion of the army was divided. It was Commanded by a centurion. noun
- In a general sense, a hundred; anything consisting of a hundred in number. noun
- Specifically In Rom. antiq.: noun
The word "century" in example sentences
_The Theory of Poetry in England; its development in doctrines and ideas from the sixteenth century to the nineteenth century_.. [Horace and His Influence]
"We shall, for the present, leave Anthony propagating the monastic dispositions, and extending its influence not only into the next century, but for many ages after, and conclude this view of the state of the _third century_, with expressing our regret that the faith and love of the gospel received toward the close of it a dreadful blow from the encouragement of this unchristian practise.". [The Revelation Explained]
If the ignorant man knows no more respecting any particular art or branch of business than was generally known during the last century, _he belongs to the last century_, and he must consent to be outstripped by those who have the light and knowledge of the present.. [Popular Education For the use of Parents and Teachers, and for Young Persons of Both Sexes]
If we assign Beda, Bubba and Biscop to somewhere around the middle two quarters of the seventh century, at and after Paulinus’ activity in Lindsey, then the admittedly inexact method of counting generations would place their immediate predecessor Caedbaed somewhere in the early seventh century*, Winta somewhere in the early sixth century, and the last name in the list somewhere around the mid-eighth century.. [Kings of Lindsey]
HPFacebookVoteV2. init (298197, 'The Conversation America Won\'t Have on Race', 'If we resided in a post-racial society then William Faulkner\'s words uttered in the 20th century would not ring true in this century-\ "The past isn\'t dead and buried.. [Irene Monroe: The Conversation America Won't Have on Race]
At the present rate of change, a summer ice-free Arctic Ocean within a century is a real possibility, a state not witnessed for at least a million years.. [Matthew Yglesias » Wednesday Arctic Ice Blogging]
A major trend of the first decade of this century is about accessing via the Web the opinions of more thoughtful users not just critics.. [Vote now! Wine Person of the Decade [the Naughties] | Dr Vino's wine blog]
(Soundbite of music) MURPHY: Where forro will be in another century is anyone's guess.. [Forro: A Brazilian Take On The Music Of Europe]
I am more than eager to find out that I was wrong and the find of the century is about to be made!. [On Bigfoot, Flying Rocks, and Missing Socks]
His article suggests that the probability of a “devastating” Earth impact this century is as high as one in 10.. [Letters to the Editor]
The greatest challenge facing humanity this century is the necessity for us to double our global food production with less land, less water, less nutrients, less science, frequent droughts, more and more contamination and ever-increasing pest damage.. [Cornell University Workbook Helps New York and Northeastern Growers Go Green]
Last November, Ms. Bansal converted a thick bracelet laden with Colombian emeralds, which she describes as a century-old piece her father obtained at auction froma royal family in Rajasthan.. [Jewels From The Crown]
"The fact that a majority of the States, reflecting, after all, the majority sentiment in those States, have had restrictions on abortion for at least a century is a strong indication, it seems to me, that the asserted right to an abortion is not [deeply rooted in tradition]," Rehnquist observed.. [Rehnquist the Great?]
New Orleans and vicinity at the turn of the century is the setting for the novel.. [Michael Ondaatje – Coming Through Slaughter + Herodotus]
To my mind, one of the great tragedies of our century is the lack of leadership in the post-communist era.. [Organizing for Global Growth]
So, to adapt, to keep this nation competitive and in pace with the world as we approach the end of the century is the formidable task of all Canadians.. [The New Alberta: Business Opportunities Toward 2000]
Century TranslatesCentury English to Turkish Translate
(i). yüzyıl, asır; yüz kişi veya yüz şeyden ibaret topluluk; eski Roma ordusunda yüz kişilik bölük. century plant yüz yaşına gelene kadar çiçek açmadıgına inanılan bir süs bitkisi, agav, (bot). Agave americana.(i). yüzyıl, asır; yüz kişi veya yüz şeyden ibaret topluluk; eski Roma ordusunda yüz kişilik bölük. century plant yüz yaşına gelene kadar çiçek açmadıgına inanılan bir süs bitkisi, agav, (bot). Agave americana.