Cheerful Wiki - What is the cheerful?
What does the word cheerful mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word cheerful in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with cheerful and anagrams of cheerful.
Definitions of "cheerful"
- Being in good spirits; merry. See Synonyms at glad1. adjective
- Promoting a feeling of cheer; pleasant: a cozy, cheerful room. adjective
- Reflecting willingness or good humor: contributed her cheerful labor to the project. adjective
- Noticeably happy and optimistic. adjective
- Bright and pleasant adjective
- Having or showing good spirits or joy; cheering; cheery; contented; happy; joyful; lively; animated; willing. adjective
- Of good cheer; having good spirits; gay; lively: said of persons.
- Cordially willing; genial in action; hearty; ungrudging.
- Characterized by or expressive of good spirits; associated with agreeable feelings; lively; animated: as, cheerful songs.
- Promoting or causing cheerfulness; gladdening; animating; genial: as, the cheerful sun; a cheerful fire.
- Synonyms Lightsome, gleeful, blithe, airy, sprightly, jocund, jolly, buoyant. See cheery.
- pleasantly (even unrealistically) optimistic adjective
- being full of or promoting cheer; having or showing good spirits adjective
The word "cheerful" in example sentences
Someone was about to laugh, but the captain snapped: This is what I call a cheerful state of affairs.. [The Metamorphosis, in The Penal Colony,and Other Stories]
“He is not absolutely drunk,” said Hart, “but is what he terms cheerful; that is, ripe for a row, as we say; he will, therefore, attack his wife, unless hindered; so get them off as fast as you can.”. [Three Weeks in the Downs, or Conjugal Fidelity Rewarded: exemplified in the Narrative of Helen and Edmund]
Houses in cheerful colors line a street in the Mexican river port town of Tlacotalpan, Veracruz.. [Houses in cheerful colors line a street in the Mexican river port town of Tlacotalpan, Veracruz. In 1998, the historical district of Tlacotalpan was declared a World heritage Site by UNESCO. © Roberta Sotonoff, 2009]
But I must yield in cheerful obedience to the "powers that be"; and to warn you against the anxieties which my delay might cause in your mind, whe. [Letter from Young John Allen to Mollie Houston,March 5, 1857]
Hope you would have enjoyed your long break in cheerful way.. [Chunda]
As soon as the rest of the company was assembled, he set meat and drink before them and, when they had well eaten and drunken and were merry and in cheerful case, he took up his discourse and recounted to them in these words the narrative of. [The Book of The Thousand Nights And A Night]
First Impression: Reagan is described as a cheerful chatterbox or an articulate woman.. [5-Star Baby Name Advisor]
And that very evening he joined with me in my retired duties; and, at all proper opportunities, favours me with his company in the same manner; listening attentively to all my lessons, as he calls my cheerful discourses on serious subjects.. [Pamela]
The brothers cherish memories of the home where Bess resides in cheerful domesticityreading this very letter.. [Colonial Correspondence: The Letters of George Bogle from Bengal, Bhutan and Tibet, 1770-81]
Low bunks that ran the the full length, upholstered in cheerful green, served as seats.. [The Roamer Cruise]
We read that Madame Récamier's figure was fine, her mild eyes full of expression, and her arm and hand beautiful, her complexion fair, her expression cheerful and her conversation vivacious; of Chateaubriand, that he was a short man with. [Lippincott's Magazine of Popular Literature and Science Volume 17, No. 101, May, 1876]
It is when alone that we obtain cheerful calmness and content, and prepare for the hour of action.. [The Romance of Isabel, Lady Burton]
Mac apparently understood, and not only took the hint, but surpassed her in cheerful composure, for, merely saying "Good-bye, Cousin; write when you feel like it," he shook hands and walked out of the house as tranquilly as if only a day instead of three months were to pass before they met again.. [Rose in Bloom]
His cheerful hopefulness, his sympathetic vitality, had drawn many others through darkness into light, and settled them in cheerful hope.. [Oldtown Folks]
His eye was bright and his expression cheerful, whilst his photographs show rather the shape of his head, like that of an ancient philosopher.. [Life of Charles Darwin]
Up until now he has watched the case unfold with an expression of cheerful bemusement.. [The Guardian World News]