Conventional Wiki - What is the conventional?
A convention is a set of agreed, stipulated, or generally accepted standards, norms, social norms, or criteria, often taking the form of a custom. Certain types of rules or customs may become law and regulatory legislation may be introduced to formalize or enforce the convention (for example, laws that define on which side of the road vehicles must be driven). In a social context, a convention may retain the character of an "unwritten law" of custom (for example, the manner in which people greet each other, such as by shaking each other's hands). In physical sciences, numerical values (such as constants, quantities, or scales of measurement) are called conventional if they do not represent a measured property of nature, but originate in a convention, for example an average of many measurements, agreed between the scientists working with these values..
What does the word conventional mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word conventional in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with conventional and anagrams of conventional.
Definitions of "conventional"
- Based on or in accordance with general agreement, use, or practice; customary: conventional symbols; a conventional form of address. adjective
- Conforming to established practice or accepted standards; traditional: a conventional church wedding. adjective
- Devoted to or bound by conventions to the point of artificiality; ceremonious. adjective
- Unimaginative; conformist: longed to escape from their conventional, bourgeois lives. adjective
- Represented, as in a work of art, in simplified or abstract form. adjective
- Law Based on consent or agreement; contractual. adjective
- Of, relating to, or resembling an assembly. adjective
- Using means other than nuclear weapons or energy: conventional warfare; conventional power plants. adjective
- Pertaining to a convention, as in following generally accepted principles, methods and behaviour. adjective
- ordinary, commonplace adjective
- banal, trite, hackneyed, unoriginal or cliche adjective
- A conventional gilt-edged security, a kind of bond paying the holder a fixed cash payment (or coupon) every six months until maturity, at which point the holder receives the final payment and the return of the principal. noun
- Formed by agreement or compact; stipulated. adjective
- Growing out of, or depending on, custom or tacit agreement; sanctioned by general concurrence or usage; formal. adjective
- Based upon tradition, whether religious and historical or of artistic rules. adjective
- Abstracted; removed from close representation of nature by the deliberate selection of what is to be represented and what is to be rejected; Cf. Conventionalize, v. t. adjective
- Relating or pertaining to a convention, or formal meeting of delegates.
- Stipulated; covenanted; established by agreement.
The word "conventional" in example sentences
In this report the term conventional energy is used to refer to fossil fuel, nuclear energy, and large-scale hydropower.. [Chapter 7]
Now, in order to clear up some concepts, I want to tell you that when the term conventional tons of fuel is used -- sometimes the terms tons of petroleum and conventional tons are used in order for the public to understand the terns the same way all of us learned them in order to understand what a conventional ton meant -- it means 100,300 kilocalories.. [FIRST ENERGY FORMU]
The term conventional tillage refers to land preparation in which there is maximum disturbance of the soil structure.. [Recently Uploaded Slideshows]
In the speech, Mr. Bullard argued for a return to what he called the "conventional wisdom" that monetary policy, not fiscal policy, should be the primary tool for stabilizing the economy.. [More Quantitative Easing Unnecessary, Fed Official Says]
What attention has been paid, primarily as part of what I term the conventional account, has it that the Framers were divided about how accessible search remedies should be.. [Arcila on the Framers' Search Power]
ELIZABETH COHEN, CNN MEDICAL CORRESPONDENT: That's right, many people say that acupuncture does wonders for their back, and some people have expressed frustration with what you call conventional treatments, with physical therapy, with drugs.. [CNN Transcript Sep 25, 2007]
It is they who make her undergo the discomforts or miseries of what we call conventional life or bully her into exile or death.. [The Scientific Monthly, October-December 1915]
In both the paper and the book she looks to the immediate legal circumstances surrounding a prosecution of a knight to find the origin of the ritual murder accusation (which she describes as a conventional rather than novel narrative, reasoned and effective; she sees little of anyone but the upper classes in it).. [In the Middle]
In theory, an effort is made in "conventional" wars to be discriminating in the infliction of war deaths.. [Death, Legal and Illegal]
How much residual pesticides could be in conventional wines?. [Wine, allergies, histamines and sulfites - reactions from an allergist | Dr Vino's wine blog]
There are important US policy questions regarding whether the CIA should limit itself to self-defense actions involving covert action and intelligence-driven targeted killing, and leave the use of drones in conventional, overt conflict, but its participation is lawful.. [The Volokh Conspiracy » My House Testimony in “Drones II”]
In fact, exercising discretion is inevitable when faced with ambiguity or limits in conventional legal sources.. [The Volokh Conspiracy » Diane Wood on the Second Amendment]
It includes two features that are completely incompatible in conventional bullet voodoo and are at two different extremes - solid construction and a hollow point.. [The "Infallible" Shoulder Shot]
Economically meaningful shocks to taxes, therefore, cannot generally be extracted from statistical innovations in conventional ways.. [Multiplier blues]
But if Obama, mired in conventional no-win proposals, does not respond, it would not be the first time Kaptur has been disappointed in her president.. [Saul Friedman: Mr. President: If You Want To Create Jobs, Listen to The Longest Serving Woman In The House]
Prolonged exposure to a wide range of hormonal ingredients in conventional cosmetics and personal care products.. [Samuel S. Epstein: Breast Cancer Unawareness Month: Rethinking Mammograms]
Conventional TranslatesConventional English to Turkish Translate
(s). âdetlere uygun, göreneksel, geleneksel; beylik, basmakalıp; (güz. san). konvansiyonel. conventional warfare nükleer silah kullanılmayan harp. conventional usage kabul edilen düzen. conventionalism (i). âdetlere bağlılık. conventionalize (f). konvansiyonel hale getirmek. conventionality (i). toplumsal âdetlere bağIılık resmiyet, toplumsal kurallara uyan söz veya davranış.(s). âdetlere uygun, göreneksel, geleneksel; beylik, basmakalıp; (güz. san). konvansiyonel. conventional warfare nükleer silah kullanılmayan harp. conventional usage kabul edilen düzen. conventionalism (i). âdetlere bağlılık. conventionalize (f). konvansiyonel hale getirmek. conventionality (i). toplumsal âdetlere bağIılık resmiyet, toplumsal kurallara uyan söz veya davranış.