Cousin Wiki - What is the cousin?
Commonly, "cousin" refers to a "first cousin", people whose most recent common ancestor is a grandparent. A first cousin used to be known as a cousin-german, though this term is rarely used today.More generally, cousin is a type of familial relationship in which people with a known common ancestor are both two or more generations away from their most recent common ancestor. This distinguishes a cousin from an ancestor, descendant, sibling, aunt, uncle, niece, or nephew.Systems of "degrees" and "removals" are used in the English-speaking world to describe the exact relationship between two cousins (in the broad sense) and the ancestor they have in common. Various governmental entities have established systems for legal use that can precisely specify kinship with common ancestors any number of generations in the past. Common usage often eliminates the degrees and removals, and refers to people with common ancestry as simply "distant cousins" or "relatives"..
What does the word cousin mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word cousin in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with cousin and anagrams of cousin.
Definitions of "cousin"
- A child of one's aunt or uncle. Also called first cousin. noun
- A relative descended from a common ancestor, such as a grandparent, by two or more steps in a diverging line. noun
- A relative by blood or marriage; a kinsman or kinswoman. noun
- A member of a kindred group or country: our Canadian cousins. noun
- Something similar in quality or character: "There's no mistaking soca for its distant Jamaican cousin, reggae” ( Michael Saunders). noun
- Used as a form of address by a sovereign in addressing another sovereign or a high-ranking member of the nobility. noun
- The son or daughter of a person’s uncle or aunt; a first cousin. noun
- Any relation who is not a direct ancestor or descendant; one more distantly related than an uncle, aunt, granduncle, grandaunt, nephew, niece, grandnephew, grandniece, etc. noun
- One collaterally related more remotely than a brother or sister; especially, the son or daughter of an uncle or aunt. noun
- A title formerly given by a king to a nobleman, particularly to those of the council. In English writs, etc., issued by the crown, it signifies any earl. noun
- Allied; akin. noun
- In general, one collaterally related by blood more remotely than a brother or sister; a relative; a kinsman or kinswoman; hence, a term of address used by a king to a nobleman, particularly to one who is a member of the council, or to a fellow-sovereign. noun
- Specifically, in modern usage The son or daughter of an uncle or an aunt, or one related by descent in a diverging line from a known common ancestor. The children of brothers and sisters are called cousins, cousins german, first cousins, or full cousins; children of first cousins are called second cousins, etc. Often, however, the term second cousin is loosely applied to the son or daughter of a cousin german, more properly called a first cousin once removed. noun
- Allied; kindred.
- To call “cousin”; claim kindred with. See cousin, n.
- An obsolete spelling of cozen.
- the child of your aunt or uncle noun
The word "cousin" in example sentences
I. v.32 (37, 6) good cousin Capulet] This _cousin_ Capulet is _unkle_ in the paper of invitation; but as Capulet is described as old, _cousin_ is probably the right word in both places.. [Notes to Shakespeare, Volume III: The Tragedies]
I guess my cousin is the one who got all the high-end artistic appreciation skillz.. [Manilart 09: What Caught My Eye « BAHAY TALINHAGA]
Sorry but my cousin is a retired officer as are several of his friends and I get my info from them.. [City of Aurora | More Layoffs Announced (Sorta), 2010 Budget, SuperTuesday Preview]
As mentioned in my earlier posts, my cousin is a writer, comedian, and producer living and performing in New York.. [REJECTION CAKE]
Gator, my cousin is a veterinarian and is the same. the only thing that grosses her out is drool.. [MY KNEES -- PART THREE, AFTER THE SURGERY]
Micah finding out that his cousin is a super is something happening.. [HEROES: A Disappointment of Super Proportions | the TV addict]
As mentioned below, it shows a modern Native child; it also shows traditions, such as a powwow and jingle dancing, balanced with modern ways (a cousin is a lawyer, the video of grandmother.). [Jingle Dancer]
"So – my cousin is your wife, I think you were saying?". [John Halifax, Gentleman]
Besides, your cousin is a royal prick and has it coming.. [Archive 2007-12-01]
My cousin is a bowyer who makes recurve bows that are as deadly in the woods as they are gorgeous.. [High Tech Bow Building]
Your story about your cousin is not really relevant or probative.. [The Volokh Conspiracy » Criminal Charges Against Anti-Homosexuality Street Preacher Dropped in England]
Sometimes she calls her cousin, Linda Cohen, in Pittsburgh about 4 a.m., since she knows she'll be wide awake as well—just like they were as kids.. [The Sleepless Elite]
I'm so inbred I have an identical twin cousin growing out of my elbow.. [Genome sequencing for under $5,000 - Boing Boing]
On the bus, I would be embraced and welcomed as a shaggy dog cousin from the Left Coast.. [Tea Party road trip: What the movement wants -- and why]
RUDIN: And whose cousin is running for governor of Colorado today.. [Nominate Your Favorite Election Movie]
My cousin is one of those people whose photos are always organized into albums, whose Christmas letter comes on time every year and who, for her 5th wedding anniversary, sent an email out with a “Where Are They Now?” update for everyone in her wedding party.. [I light a candle. « WholeSelfCoach]
Cousin TranslatesCousin English to Turkish Translate
(i)., (masculine). kuzen, (feminine). kuzin. father's brother's son, daughter amca oğlu, amca kızı. father's sister's son, daughter hala oğlu, hala kızı. mother's brother's son daughter dayı oğlu, dayı kızı. mother's sister's son, daughter teyze oğlu, teyze kızı. father's brother's child amcazade. mother's sister's child teyzezade. mother's brother's child dayızade. father's sister's child halazade. first veya full cousins kardeş çocukları, yeğenler. second cousins kardeş torunları. first cousin once removed yeğen çocuğu.(i)., (masculine). kuzen, (feminine). kuzin. father's brother's son, daughter amca oğlu, amca kızı. father's sister's son, daughter hala oğlu, hala kızı. mother's brother's son daughter dayı oğlu, dayı kızı. mother's sister's son, daughter teyze oğlu, teyze kızı. father's brother's child amcazade. mother's sister's child teyzezade. mother's brother's child dayızade. father's sister's child halazade. first veya full cousins kardeş çocukları, yeğenler. second cousins kardeş torunları. first cousin once removed yeğen çocuğu.
News about cousin
Best Movies (2018): The Essential Films You Didn't See
This year had great blockbusters—'Black Panther'! 'A Star Is Born'!—but there are a few top-notch movies you might've missed.
Best TV Scenes (2018): 'Killing Eve,' 'Atlanta,' and More
From 'Homecoming' to Teddy Perkins to \"take me to the hole!\" we've rounded up all of the year's biggest small-screen memories.
Acer’s Predator Triton 900 is a $4,000 convertible gaming powerhouse
While the more affordable Triton 500 offers top specs at a cheaper price