Defect Wiki - What is the defect?
What does the word defect mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word defect in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with defect and anagrams of defect.
Definitions of "defect"
- The lack of something necessary or desirable for completion or perfection; a deficiency: a visual defect. noun
- An imperfection that causes inadequacy or failure; a shortcoming. See Synonyms at blemish. noun
- To disown allegiance to one's country and take up residence in another: a Soviet citizen who defected to Israel. verb-intransitive
- To abandon a position or association, often to join an opposing group: defected from the party over the issue of free trade. verb-intransitive
- A fault or malfunction. noun
- To abandon or turn against; to cease or change one's loyalty. verb
- Want or absence of something necessary for completeness or perfection; deficiency; -- opposed to superfluity. noun
- Failing; fault; imperfection, whether physical or moral; blemish noun
- To fail; to become deficient. verb-intransitive
- to abandon one country or faction, and join another. verb-intransitive
- To injure; to damage. verb-transitive
- To be or become deficient; fail.
- To desert; revolt.
- To affect injuriously; hurt; impair; spoil.
- Want or lack of anything; especially, the lack of something which is essential to perfection or completeness; a fault; a blemish; an imperfection: as, a defect in timber; a defect in the organs of hearing or seeing; a defect of memory or judgment. noun
- Synonyms Deficiency, lack, insufficiency, failure, error, flaw. noun
- desert (a cause, a country or an army), often in order to join the opposing cause, country, or army verb
- an imperfection in a bodily system noun
The word "defect" in example sentences
Skimping here could end up costing plenty if you discover a title defect after you own the property.. [Summit Daily News - Top Stories]
Democrats will need at least two Republicans -- possibly more -- to defect from a hard-line anti-deficit spending stance in order to break a filibuster.. [Jim McDermott Says 'Republican Grinches' In The Senate May Ruin Christmas For The Jobless]
This last defect is all the more glaring since the 'war on terror' in its varied aspects is supposedly global.. [Michael Brenner: HuffPost Review: Obama's Wars]
In short, your personality defect is the fact that you could easily be a sociopath, because you are calculating, unemotional, brutal, and arrogant.. [The Few. The Proud. The Sociopaths.]
The only escape is to defect from the Party, like Joe Lieberman.. [‘Deem and Pass’ watch: Brooks on the ledge, Rubin on the sidewalk. | RedState]
And as I said, the incidence of the genetic defect is not the same as the incidence of the condition.. [Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia - Something to Consider]
Seems to me the defect is in the man more than anything else.. [The Volokh Conspiracy » Timothy McVeigh Was No Libertarian: The Fallacy of Conflating Two Very Different Types of “Anti-Government” Movements]
A child with a single ventricle defect is born with a heart with only one ventricle that is large enough or strong enough to pump effectively.. [Single Ventricle Heart Defects]
An atrioventricular canal defect is a problem in the part of the heart that connects the upper chambers (atria) to the lower chambers (ventricles).. [Atrioventricular Canal Defects]
Troubled sophomore Anthony Tucker was the latest player to defect from the program.. [Iowa - Team Notes]
One defect is that prices are determined on the margin at the moment.. [The Hidden Costs « L.E. Modesitt, Jr. – The Official Website]
The most common defect is peripheral pulmonary stenosis.. [Heart Defects and Alagille Syndrome]
I'm trying to understand why some would defect from the Democrats and cross over to McCain .... [More than three-quarters rate economic conditions poor]
If a "title defect" occurs, the title insurance completely indemnifies the lawyer who performed the contracted service.. [Proposed: Why Not Extend Title Insurance Concept?]
A statement by Dr Delport and State President F W de Klerk is expected later on Monday to counter speculative weekend newspaper reports saying the minister was about to defect from the National. [ANC Daily News Briefing]
So he calls the defect he had in his words, or utterance.. [The Bible, Douay-Rheims, Complete The Challoner Revision]