Detective Wiki - What is the detective?
A detective is an investigator, usually a member of a law enforcement agency. They often collect information to solve crime by talking to witnesses and informants, collecting physical evidence, or searching records in databases. This leads them to arrest criminals and allow them to be convicted in court. A detective may work for the police or privately..
What does the word detective mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word detective in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with detective and anagrams of detective.
Definitions of "detective"
- A person, usually a member of a police force, who investigates crimes and obtains evidence or information. noun
- Of or relating to detectives or their work: detective novels. adjective
- Suited for or used in detection. adjective
- A police officer who looks for evidence as part of solving a crime; an investigator. noun
- A person employed to find information not otherwise available to the public. noun
- Fitted for, or skilled in, detecting; employed in detecting crime or criminals. adjective
- One who business it is so detect criminals or discover matters of secrecy. noun
- Fitted for or skilled in detecting; employed in detecting: as, the detective police.
- Relating to detectives or to detection: as, a detective story.
- A person whose occupation it is to discover matters as to which information is desired, particularly concerning wrong-doers, and to obtain evidence to be used against them. noun
- an investigator engaged or employed in obtaining information not easily available to the public noun
- a police officer who investigates crimes noun
The word "detective" in example sentences
"Be a label detective and learn how to decode labels," said Dr. Clifford Bassett, a fellow of the American College of Asthma, Allergy and Immunology and an assistant clinical professor of medicine at NYU Langone School of Medicine.. [ABC News: Top Stories]
Bolt the main detective is a much more believable character, who is essentially a decent bloke but has some quite serious flaws.. [All Things Girl » All Things Girl » Blog Archive » Book Review: Relentless by Simon Kernick]
Nobody, not even the young actress girlfriend of the main detective, is dressed to impress.. [Tin Boxes]
Highly recommended if you like police procedurals -- the main detective is a woman, Hannah Scarlett (lovely name, I wish I'd been called that) -- with a "local mystery" theme.. [Sunday Salon: The Coffin Trail]
HOLLYWOOD -- On Friday night's series finale of USA's "Monk," the title detective played by Tony Shalhoub finally learns the truth about his wife's murder.. [poststar.com RSS]
And now I am possessed of the finger-curling desire to write a murder mystery in which the detective is the elderly and somewhat doddering Lancelot, now ordained a priest in Glastonbury.. [arise, sir percivale, the noble knight and god's knight, and go with me]
She needed information gathering, so Bullard embarked on what he termed "detective work -- putting together a puzzle.". [Marcia G. Yerman: Dr. Robert D. Bullard: Justice for Our Children]
(For example, a detective is almost always more cunning than a barbarian).. [Superhero Nation: how to write superhero novels and comic books » 2009 » November » 03]
In that zone of "legend", the detective is a prime motif (Angel, X Files, Fringe, the Lost Room -- with the latter being a particularly pertinent example.). [A Theory of Modes and Modalities]
Mysteries in which the detective is a dinosaur disguised as a human (this is not a joke).. [February 11th, 2007]
(Reading too many of G.K. Chesterton's Father Brown stories in a row always makes me yearn for a parody in which the detective is a Satanist.). [Political rant]
I know it's a mystery story, and the detective is a synesthete.. [Science Press Release Synopses]
"Have you noticed," she said, "that the detective is always watching our camp?". [Tish]
Trent had insisted on carefully formulating these principles of what he called detective sportsmanship.. [The Woman in Black]
Monk, "the title detective played by Tony Shalhoub finally learns the truth about his wife's murder.. 
Kicking back in detective Mosely's office at the New Orleans PD.. [Forgotten geekdom: Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers]
Detective TranslatesDetective English to Turkish Translate
(i)., (s). dedektif, polis hafiyesi, sivil polis; (s). dedektiflikle ilgili. private detective özel dedektif. detective story polis romanı.(i)., (s). dedektif, polis hafiyesi, sivil polis; (s). dedektiflikle ilgili. private detective özel dedektif. detective story polis romanı.