Distant Wiki - What is the distant?
What does the word distant mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word distant in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with distant and anagrams of distant.
Definitions of "distant"
- Separate or apart in space. adjective
- Far removed; remote: distant lands. adjective
- Coming from or going to a distance: a distant sound; a distant telephone call. adjective
- Far removed or apart in time: the distant past; distant events. adjective
- Far apart in relationship: a distant cousin. adjective
- Minimally similar: a distant likeness. adjective
- Far removed mentally: distant thoughts. adjective
- Aloof or chilly: a distant smile. adjective
- far off (physically, logically or mentally) adjective
- emotionally unresponsive or unwilling to express genuine feelings adjective
- Separated; having an intervening space; at a distance; away. adjective
- Far separated; far off; not near; remote; -- in place, time, consanguinity, or connection adjective
- Reserved or repelling in manners; cold; not cordial; somewhat haughty. adjective
- Indistinct; faint; obscure, as from distance. adjective
- Not conformable; discrepant; repugnant. adjective
- To keep separate; distinguish.
- Standing or being apart from a given point or place; situated at a different point in space, or, by extension, in time; separated by a distance: as, a point a line or a hair's-breadth distant from another; Saturn is estimated to be about 880,000,000 miles distant from the sun.
- Remote; far off or far apart in space, time, connection, prospect, kind, degree, sound, etc.: as, distant stars; a distant period; distant relatives; a distant hope; a distant resemblance.
The word "distant" in example sentences
To one who charges me with being a distant relative of the chimpanzee, I give the reply of Henry Ward Beecher: 'I don't care how _far distant_.'". [Wit, Humor, Reason, Rhetoric, Prose, Poetry and Story Woven into Eight Popular Lectures]
"I hate the phrase distant third," Mr. Fager said.. [CBS Taps Charlie Rose, Gayle King for New Show]
Real reporters. not “techno sycophants” whose first job was at MacWeek, PCWeek or InfoWorld manage to remain distant from the subject of their stories.. [Scripting News for 9/5/07 « Scripting News Annex]
He paused for a minute, his expression distant and thoughtful.. [The Body Farm]
"We're captives to the tyranny of what I call the distant depth, and there is no human access to the site of the spill," said Coast Guard Adm. Thad W. Allen, the coordinating commander of a response that includes nearly 8,500 personnel and 260 vessels.. [Officials enlist robots to help contain oil gushing in Gulf of Mexico]
Mr. ZABIHULLAH�MUJAHED (Spokesman, Taliban): (Foreign language spoken) LAWRENCE: Speaking with NPR by phone this morning, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah�Mujahed said that one of the men was killed and that the body, along with the surviving serviceman, are now in what he called a distant, safe location inside Afghanistan.. [U.S. Searches For Missing Naval Personnel]
The medical effect of alcohol and marijuana, it ` s what we call distant inhibition.. [CNN Transcript May 12, 2008]
You know, they're trained not only in camps, but it appears to me that the tapes were used for what we call distant learning.. [CNN Transcript Aug 19, 2002]
She looked relaxed, her expression distant, almost disinterested.. [The Will]
The -- some of the distant relatives, what he calls distant relatives in Miami and their supporters, produced what they said was an affidavit.. [CNN Transcript - Larry King Live: Dan Rather Discusses the News and How to Report It - April 19, 2000]
However, even the term distant healing is actually a misnomer, according to Dr. Larry Dossey, the world’s most prominent author on the subject of the power of prayer.. [Meditation as Medicine]
Certainly, whatever Mr Adams asserts should be assumed to be distant from the truth; but it is sad to see Ham Fish IV's son fall so far from the tree.. [Blazer fans will pay for soccer stadium (Jack Bog's Blog)]
The steady illumination of his qenius, dim only because distant, is like the faint but satisfying light of the stars compared with the dazzling but ineffectual and short-lived blaze of candles.. [The Night-Born]
And this is just one case — some Israeli groups have raised broader questions about the legality of other parts of Ofra, which is distant from the Green Line between the West Bank and Israel and is connected to Jerusalem by a road built for Israeli settlers.. [Wonk Room » Ramallah And Ofra: Just Down The Road, But A World Apart]
Or you may get the most incredible response from a friend, a total stranger, readers in distant parts of the world.. [readers respond | wyeth & peterson « poetry dispatch & other notes from the underground]
He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their Public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.. [Matthew Yglesias » Endgame]