Enormous Wiki - What is the enormous?
What does the word enormous mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word enormous in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with enormous and anagrams of enormous.
Definitions of "enormous"
- Very great in size, extent, number, or degree. adjective
- Archaic Very wicked; heinous. adjective
- Deviating from the norm; unusual, extraordinary. adjective
- Exceedingly wicked; atrocious or outrageous. adjective
- Extremely large; greatly exceeding the common size, extent, etc. adjective
- Exceeding the usual rule, norm, or measure; out of due proportion; inordinate; abnormal. adjective
- Exceedingly wicked; outrageous; atrocious; monstrous. adjective
- Deviating from or transgressing the usual measure or rule; abnormal.
- Spreading or extending beyond certain limits; redundant.
- Greatly surpassing the common measure; exceeding the usual size: as, enormous debts; a man of enormous size.
- Extremely wicked; uncommonly atrocious: as, enormous crime or guilt.
- Disordered; perverse.
- Synonyms Enormous, Immense, Excessive, huge, vast, monstrous, prodigious, gigantic, immoderate, unwieldy. The first three words agree in expressing greatness, and the first two vastness; anything, however small, is excessive if for some special reason too great in amount. Literally, enormous is out of rule, out of proportion; immense, unmeasured, immeasurable; excessive, going beyond bounds, surpassing what is fit, right, tolerable, etc. Enormous is peculiarly applicable to magnitude, primarily physical, but also moral: as, enormous egotism; immense, to extent, quantity, and number: as, an immense national debt; immense folly; excessive, to degree: as, an excessive dose; an excessive opinion of one's own merits.
- Villainous, Abominable, etc. (see nefarious); heinous, atrocious.
- extraordinarily large in size or extent or amount or power or degree adjective
The word "enormous" in example sentences
And I think it sees what you referred to as enormous Indian influence as part of the strategy -- Indian strategy, as, you know, trying to destabilize Pakistan.. [CNN Transcript May 10, 2009]
In his message he asked for prayers to undertake what he calls the enormous task in front of him in Iraq.. [CNN Transcript Apr 24, 2005]
In his message, he asked for prayers to undertake what he called the enormous task in front of him.. [CNN Transcript Apr 24, 2005]
Those relationships, Scales says, build what he calls enormous influence with Egypt.. [NPR Topics: News]
Mr Abbott also highlighted what he called the enormous waste of programs like the insulation and Building the Education Revolution programs.. [Latest News - Yahoo!7 News]
Within enormous painted domes, arches and carved wood furniture entertain the eye during mass.. [Durango's colonial architecture: eleven quarry stone gems]
MoveOn has put in enormous effort over many years to put itself into a position of leverage.. [Matthew Yglesias » Endgame]
After 8 long years I found that he'd squandered all my hard-earned savings from the previous 8 years, put me in enormous debt and had given me the biggest dose of clap in the history of the world.. [Martin Lewis: "Bankrupt & Clap-Ridden": The Ultimate 'Dear Abbey' Letter From Jack-Ass America]
These were many of the same people who two years ago were turning out in enormous numbers to see Obama in the final weeks of the campaign, crowds of 75,000 or 100,000 in places like St. Louis and Denver.. [Tea party fuels GOP midterm enthusiasm, action]
We're asked by the show's writers to indulge in enormous suspension of disbelief on this major plot development, on which much of the rest of the season will apparently turn.. [William Bradley: Mad Men: "Do You Want to Know a Secret?" (And Really Suspend Your Disbelief?)]
The Institute for Public Policy Research said the support from all three parties for a ring-fencing of the health service budget was a "mistake" that would result in "enormous pressure" on other key areas of spending.. [Don't spare the NHS from cuts, says leftwing thinktank]
Once the practice was (unforgivably) stopped, the remaining stocks of rum were stored in enormous ceramic containers, broken out every now and then for royal festivities.. [Tony Sachs: Yo-Ho-Ho And A Snifter Of Rum: Sipping Rums To Enjoy Without Paper Umbrellas]
Not that I need to mount a soap box, but parse through what just went down: Commodities markets since August spiked uniformly -- with the exception of natural gas, which is in enormous oversupply, its chart a deeply pitched ski run.. [Economic Consequences Of Stealth Dollar Devaluation]
They are paying Eshoo pennies on the dollar for the privilege of raking in enormous profits on government-sponsored research.. [Archive 2009-10-01]
Back before the complete government takeover of the financial industry, I used to say that NYC was a great place to start a career (entry level folks are paid little but gain enormous experience) and a horrible place to finish it (high taxes – 60% as of next year – and the massive expense of trying to live a normal life).. [Coyote Blog » Blog Archive » I Love New York, Just Not Enought to Live There]
We gawked at the awkward way some of them shuffled, and at the way others were covered in enormous robes that covered their entire bodies.. [Sacrificial Doves « A Fly in Amber]