Enough Wiki - What is the enough?
What does the word enough mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word enough in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with enough and anagrams of enough.
Definitions of "enough"
- Sufficient to meet a need or satisfy a desire; adequate: enough work to keep us all busy. See Synonyms at sufficient. adjective
- An adequate number or quantity: "The Gods above should give,/They have enough and we do poorly live” ( Henry David Thoreau). pronoun
- To a satisfactory amount or degree; sufficiently: Is the fish cooked enough? adverb
- Very; fully; quite: We were glad enough to leave. adverb
- Tolerably; rather: She sang well enough, but the show was a failure. adverb
- Used to express impatience or exasperation: You've been practicing the guitar all afternoon. Enough! interjection
- sufficient; all that is required, needed, or appropriate determiner
- sufficiently adverb
- A sufficient or adequate number, amount, etc. pronoun
- stop! Don't do that anymore, etc. interjection
- Satisfying desire; giving content; adequate to meet the want; sufficient; -- usually, and more elegantly, following the noun to which it belongs. adjective
- In a degree or quantity that satisfies; to satisfaction; sufficiently. adverb
- Fully; quite; -- used to express slight augmentation of the positive degree, and sometimes equivalent to very. adverb
- In a tolerable degree; -- used to express mere acceptableness or acquiescence, and implying a degree or quantity rather less than is desired. adverb
- A sufficiency; a quantity which satisfies desire, is adequate to the want, or is equal to the power or ability. noun
- An exclamation denoting sufficiency, being a shortened form of it is enough. interjection
- Answering the purpose; adequate to want or demand; sufficient; satisfying desire; giving content; meeting reasonable expectation.
- Synonyms Sufficient, Competent, etc. See adequate.
- A quantity of a thing or act, or a number of things or persons, sufficient to satisfy desire or want, or adequate to a purpose; sufficiency: as, we have enough of this sort of cloth. noun
The word "enough" in example sentences
\ "The marchers were chanting \" enough, enough\ "and \" We the People.. [Marshall Auerback: Why Government Spending Is the Solution, Not the Problem]
Not chocolatey enough if I am craving chocolate, and not *enough* if I want a crispy snack.. [Member Appreciation Reviews]
True, one cold war was enough ... however that doesn\'t mean irrespective of the actions taken by Bush-administration, the world would never say \'One Bush-administration was (is) enough\ '.'. [When to say 'One Bush-Administration Was (Is) Enough'?]
It is evident enough that all questions between North and South must settle themselves, should the war only _go far enough_.. [The Continental Monthly, Vol. 2 No 4, October, 1862 Devoted To Literature And National Policy]
Well, little Clara kissed my hand when she had eaten enough -- (it was so odd for _Clara_ to have _enough_) -- and her sunken eyes grew bright, and she said -- "Now I shall not be beaten, because I've something left to carry home;" so she told me where she lived, and I bade her good bye, and told her I would come and see her mother to-morrow.. [Little Ferns For Fanny's Little Friends]
And the Master's answer would come in that clear, quiet voice of His, "yes, tarry: you have knowledge enough, but _knowledge is not enough_, there must be power.". [Quiet Talks on Power]
He confessed to Lord William that the world was not big enough for him, that there was no king or country big enough; and then he added, hitting him on the shoulder, Yes, that is flesh, that is what I hate, and what makes me wish to die.. [The End of General Gordon: Paras. 1-30]
And that is why our scriptures and other art-works, when they deal with love, turn from honest attempts at science in physics to romantic nonsense, erotic ecstasy, or the stern asceticism of satiety (the road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom said William Blake; for you never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough).. [Epistle Dedicatory]
Time enough, always proves little enough_: Let us then up and be doing, and doing to the Purpose; so by Diligence shall we do more with less Perplexity.. [Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin]
I. i.8 (4,4) [blow, till thou burst thy wind, if room enough] Perhaps it might be read, -- _blow till thou burst, wind, if room enough_.. [Notes to Shakespeare — Volume 01: Comedies]
It might be high enough to be profitable, but not profitable * enough* to satisfy the lenders.. [Blogs navigation]
Now, they will decrease gasoline prices * just enough* so that investors no longer feel confident that their prospective new-energy investments will be price-competitive with gasoline enough to justify the risk.. [Original Signal - Transmitting Buzz]
Just a few weeks ago, the Philippine Congress enacted the law creating the Commission of Climate Change• Before it could be implemented, Parma and Ketsana came along, with damage to life and property unprecedented in the parts of the country they ravaged• The lesson learned is that current efforts are not enough• While communities rose to the challenge and did their best to cope with the wrath of nature, and while we saw individual acts of courage, these are not enough to turn back the severity of the problems we face as we pay for years of ignoring nature•. [Latest News]
Produce my charge; or fhew the wretch that's bafe And brave enough to tell me Tm a traitor, [enough*. [Plays: Viz. The Orphan, and Venice Preserv'd]
Anyone that does, has a right to complain enough is enough.. ['People have a right to be grouchy,' Axelrod says]
I found that at the most elite (top ten) law schools, blacks gain enough from the enhanced prestige of their school to roughly offset the grade disadvantage.. [The Volokh Conspiracy » Affirmative Action in Law Schools]