Equator Wiki - What is the equator?
An equator of a rotating spheroid (such as a planet) is its zeroth circle of latitude (parallel). It is the imaginary line on the spheroid's surface, equidistant from its poles, dividing it into northern and southern hemispheres. In other words, it is the intersection of the spheroid's surface with the plane perpendicular to its axis of rotation and midway between its geographical poles. On Earth, the Equator is about 40,075 km (24,901 mi) long, of which 78.8% lies across water and 21.3% over land. Indonesia is the country straddling the greatest length of the equatorial line across both land and sea..
What does the word equator mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word equator in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with equator and anagrams of equator.
Definitions of "equator"
- The imaginary great circle around the earth's surface, equidistant from the poles and perpendicular to the earth's axis of rotation. It divides the earth into the Northern Hemisphere and the Southern Hemisphere. noun
- A similar great circle drawn on the surface of a celestial body at right angles to the axis of rotation. noun
- The celestial equator. noun
- A circle that divides a sphere or other surface into congruent parts. noun
- An imaginary great circle around the Earth, equidistant from the two poles, and dividing earth's surface into the northern and southern hemisphere. noun
- A similar great circle on any sphere, especially on a celestial body, or on other reasonably symmetrical three-dimensional body. noun
- A short form of the celestial equator. noun
- The imaginary great circle on the earth's surface, everywhere equally distant from the two poles, and dividing the earth's surface into two hemispheres. noun
- The great circle of the celestial sphere, coincident with the plane of the earth's equator; -- so called because when the sun is in it, the days and nights are of equal length; hence called also the equinoctial, and on maps, globes, etc., the equinoctial line. noun
- In astronomy, that imaginary great circle in the heavens the plane of which is perpendicular to the axis of the earth. noun
- In geography, that great circle of the earth every point of which is 90° from the earth's poles, which are also its poles, its axis being also the axis of the earth. noun
- Hence A similarly situated circle about any spherical body, or the region adjacent to it. noun
- an imaginary line around the Earth forming the great circle that is equidistant from the north and south poles noun
- a circle dividing a sphere or other surface into two usually equal and symmetrical parts noun
The word "equator" in example sentences
It's due south of Hawaii, as far south of the equator is as Hawaii is north of the equator.. [Boing Boing: May 25, 2003 - May 31, 2003 Archives]
You may know that the entire world, south of the equator, is one huge nuclear weapon free zone (NWFZ).. [Rizwan Ladha: Venezuela Is Going Nuclear, and We Should Be Worried]
Its radius at the equator is slightly bigger than at its poles.. [The Nobel Prize in Physics 2008 - Presentation Speech]
The circumference of the Earth at the equator is 25,000 miles.. [3 Common Questions (and answers) about Space]
Satellite measurements made from 1979 to 2005 show that the atmosphere in the subtropical regions both north and south of the equator is heating up.. [Think Progress » FACT CHECK: National Review’s Cover Story Distorts Facts On Global Warming]
Australian climate, up to within 500 or 600 miles of the equator, is similar to that of British Columbia.. [The Australian Good-Will Party]
Crossing the equator was my first big milestone, and saying good-bye to a big chunk of the Pacific was amazing.. [True Spirit]
The equator is an imaginary line that runs around the earth at 0° latitude an equal distance from the North and South Poles.. [True Spirit]
During the equinox, the equator is the location on the Earth with a sun angle of 90° for solar noon.. [Earth-Sun geometry]
Flowing from high latitudes to the equator are the eastern boundary currents.. [Ocean circulation]
For long years it has been assumed that the sole reason for the tropopause being higher at the equator is the surplus heat.. [Gerry North's Suggested Reading on Climate Models « Climate Audit]
In the immediate northern areas — in the region from latitude 50 degrees S. northward to the equator, which is regarded as next in importance quantitatively to the sub – Antarctic, though nothing like being so productive, the captures are useful for a comparative study in distribution.. [South: the story of Shackleton’s last expedition 1914–1917]
The equator is the starting point for the measurement of latitude.. [Location, distance, and direction on maps]
* The dark regions north and south of the equator are the dry downflow regions of the Hadley circulation.. [Bill Gray Presentation « Climate Audit]
* The intermittent white line (dots and clumps) near the equator is the “ITCZ” (Inter-Tropical convergence Zone).. [Bill Gray Presentation « Climate Audit]
How Henderson managed to be transported bodily across the equator is a mystery, especially since the real Henderson figured into the Essex tragedy, which all American mariners knew and feared.. [A Furnace Afloat]
Equator TranslatesEquator English to Turkish Translate
(i.) ekvator.(i.) ekvator.