Ever Wiki - What is the ever?
What does the word ever mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word ever in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with ever and anagrams of ever.
Definitions of "ever"
- At all times; always: ever hoping to strike it rich. adverb
- At any time: Have you ever been to Europe? adverb
- In any way; at all: How did they ever manage? See Usage Note at rarely. adverb
- To a great extent or degree. Used for emphasis often with so: He was ever so sorry. Was she ever mad! adverb
- again Now and then; occasionally. idiom
- for ever and a day Always; forever. idiom
- Always adverb
- At any time. adverb
- In any way adverb
- As intensifier. adverb
- Occurring at any time, occurring even but once during a timespan. adjective
- At any time; at any period or point of time. adverb
- At all times; through all time; always; forever. adverb
- Without cessation; continually. adverb
- At all times; always; continually.
- At any time; at any period or point of time, past or future: in negative, interrogative, or comparative sentences: as, no man is ever the happier for injustice; did you ever see anything like it? I do not think I ever did.
- In any degree; any; at all: usually in connection with an adverb or adjective in the comparative degree, and after a negative.
- To any possible degree; in any possible case: with as: a word of enforcement or emphasis: as, as soon as ever he had done it.
- For all time; to the end of life.
The word "ever" in example sentences
Which means I am never, ever, *ever* going to find one.. [APED: "ch-ch-ch-ch, ho-ho-ho-ho"]
And no one ever, *ever* buys candy corn for themselves.. [Halloween Dumbassery – What Are You Giving Out this Halloween? | Motivational Humor from the Motivational Smart Ass!]
But my real point is that nobody ever, *ever* has any actual evidence.. [A Bit of GOOD News ...]
This is a serious problem for the boy scouts and even the girl scouts have very strict rules about children ever *ever* being alone with only one adult and they have a right to enforce as best they can an environment where it is *very* clear that sexual activity between boys or between scout leaders and boys is not in any way acceptable.. ["I've been fascinated... with the attention paid to me by people who really have not undertaken to understand how I succeed, how I define my success."]
But if there was ever *ever* the merest suggestion that my child's citizenship was affected by the fact that his parents were active duty military stationed overseas it would have been *decided* or the military wouldn't so much as function.. [Who will determine whether John McCain is a "natural-born citizen," qualified for the presidency?]
A comic that no one has ever asked for ever** is listed in Overstreet, while a comic by an acclaimed, award-winning cartoonist is not.. [Archive 2005-01-23]
They didn't want her to grow up, or have friends, or ever _ever_ have a boyfriend.. [Analog Science Fiction and Fact]
I found my voice as she tucked me into the front seat of a dilapidated sedan, and I said it was the most beautiful car I'd ever seen, _ever_.. [Working Murder]
Lord's Prayer is marked for praise by a Termination, viz. _for thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory for ever and ever_.. [The Prayer Book Explained]
When it is to be used for Praise, the words "_for thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory, for ever and ever_" are placed at the end: when it is to be used for Prayer, the Lesser Litany "_Lord have mercy upon us, Christ have mercy upon us, Lord have mercy upon us_" is placed at the beginning.. [The Prayer Book Explained]
Nothing exciting like going off to a house-party of young people with two bags full of lovely clothes would ever, _ever_ happen to her!. [Red-Robin]
A day was coming, and it was the day of reality for which he lived, ever present and ever certain, when this sad world was to put _off for ever_ its changefulness and its misery, and the grave was to be robbed of its victory, and the bodies were to come forth purified by their long sleep.. [Sermons Preached at Brighton Third Series]
"The saints of the most high shall take the kingdom, and _possess the kingdom for ever, even forever and ever_ -- and the kingdom and dominion, and the greatness of the kingdom under the whole heaven, shall be given to the people of the saints of the most high, _whose kingdom is an ever lasting kingdom_, and all dominion shall serve and obey him.". [Sermons on Various Important Subjects]
_I trust in the mercy of God for ever and ever_ -- PS. lii.. [Daily Strength for Daily Needs]
_Every day will I bless Thee; and I will praise Thy name for ever and ever_.. [Daily Strength for Daily Needs]
"I wouldn't ever -- _ever_ be wretched if I looked like you -- not ever in this world!". [The Bacillus of Beauty A Romance of To-day]