Familiar Wiki - What is the familiar?
What does the word familiar mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word familiar in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with familiar and anagrams of familiar.
Definitions of "familiar"
- Often encountered or seen: synonym: common. adjective
- Having fair knowledge; acquainted. adjective
- Of established friendship; intimate. adjective
- Natural and unstudied; informal. adjective
- Taking undue liberties; presumptuous. adjective
- Familial. adjective
- Domesticated; tame. Used of animals. adjective
- A close friend or associate. noun
- An attendant spirit, often taking animal form. noun
- One who performs domestic service in the household of a high official. noun
- A person who frequents a place. noun
- Pertaining to a family; domestic.
- Having, or springing from, intimate and friendly social relations; closely intimate: as, a familiar friend; familiar companionship; to be on familiar terms with one.
- Having a friendly aspect or manner; exhibiting the manner of an intimate friend; affable; not formal or distant; especially, using undue familiarity; intrusive; forward.
- Characterized by ease or absence of stiffness or pedantry; unconstrained.
- Having an intimate knowledge; well knowing; well acquainted; well versed (in a subject of study): as, he is familiar with the works of Horace.
- Well known from frequent observation, use, etc.; well understood.
- Synonyms Close, intimate, amicable, fraternal, near.