Favorite Wiki - What is the favorite?
A favourite (Australian English, British English, and Canadian English) or favorite (American English) was the intimate companion of a ruler or other important person. In Post-Classical and Early Modern Europe, among other times and places, the term is used of individuals delegated significant political power by a ruler. It was especially a phenomenon of the 16th and 17th centuries, when government had become too complex for many hereditary rulers with no great interest in or talent for it, and political institutions were still evolving. From 1600 to 1660 there were particular successions of all-powerful minister-favourites in much of Europe, especially in Spain, England, France and Sweden.The term is also sometimes employed by writers who want to avoid terms such as "royal mistress", or "friend", "companion" or "lover" of either sex. Several favourites had sexual relations with the monarch (or the monarch's spouse), but the feelings of the monarch for the favourite covered the full gamut from a simple faith in the favourite's abilities to various degrees of emotional affection and dependence, sometimes even sexual infatuation. The term has an inbuilt element of disapproval and is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as "One who stands unduly high in the favour of a prince", citing William Shakespeare: "Like favourites/ Made proud by Princes"..
What does the word favorite mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word favorite in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with favorite and anagrams of favorite.
Definitions of "favorite"
- One that enjoys special favor or regard. noun
- One that is trusted, indulged, or preferred above all others, especially by a superior: a favorite of the monarch. noun
- A contestant or competitor regarded as most likely to win. noun
- Liked or preferred above all others; regarded with special favor. adjective
- Preferred. adjective
- Preferred one, one with special favor noun
- Expected or most probable to win. noun
- Alternative form of favor. verb
- To bookmark. verb
- To add to one's list of favorites on a website that allows users to compile such lists. verb
- Regarded with particular affection, esteem, or preference adjective
- A person or thing regarded with peculiar favor; one treated with partiality; one preferred above others; especially, one unduly loved, trusted, and enriched with favors by a person of high rank or authority. noun
- Short curls dangling over the temples; -- fashionable in the reign of Charles II. noun
- The competitor (as a horse in a race) that is judged most likely to win; the competitor standing highest in the betting. noun
- A person or thing regarded with peculiar favor, liking, or preference; one who or that which is especially liked or favored. noun
- A person who has gained the special favor of or a dominant influence over a superior by unworthymeans or for selfish purposes. noun
- A small curl hanging loose upon the temple: a frequent feature of a woman's head-dress in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. noun
- Regarded with particular liking, favor, esteem, or preference: as, a favorite walk; a favorite author; a favorite child.
- preferred above all others and treated with partiality adjective
The word "favorite" in example sentences
My sneaky favorite* of Nashville Skyline, and potentially my outright favorite - it's either this or ... well, I won't spoil the surprise.. [Expecting Rain]
She showed why she is still considered a title favorite despite her long absence and her No. 7 seeding.. [Serena Williams Gets Emotional Opening Win At Wimbledon, Beats Arvane Rezai In 3 Sets (VIDEO)]
My personal sci-fi favorite from the fifties, this enduring cult favorite is an ingenious nightmare vision that reflects the paranoia of the time created by McCarthyism.. [John Farr: Going Bump in the Night: More Prime Halloween Movie Fare]
How can anyone be the title favorite other than the man who has won the past four championships?. [ESPN.com]
Mt. Blue's girls squad, though, remains the title favorite, with dominance in both disciplines.. [Our View]
Jimmie Johnson may still be the title favorite, but this year's Chase is wide open and could help boost NASCAR's ratings.. [SI.com]
I'd have to say that for a deer hunting rifle capable of also going to antelope, my favorite is a Leupold VXIII 3. 5-10x56.. [What type of scope do you guys like using? I personnally have a Leupold 4 x 33. I would not trade it for anything.]
I have sereral rifles of different brands, but my favorite is a M98 action 257 Roberts that my grandfather made years ago.. [A Top-Notch Working Rifle: David Petzal Reviews the Montana Rifle Company Model 1999 Ridgeline]
I only use leupold VXIII's on my BG guns and my favorite is a 3. 5-10X with Boone & Crockett reticle on my Kimber 25-06.. [What type of scope do you guys like using? I personnally have a Leupold 4 x 33. I would not trade it for anything.]
I've tried several guns and my favorite is the Mossberg 835 12 ga.. [Where I live I have learned that there is a spring turkey season.Does anybody have advice on what kind of gun to use.I have neve]
Offering one's guests their favorite is appropriate.. [Beer choice at Obama meeting touches off new debate]
Wonderful tips and I think my favorite is the one about calling ourselves writers and being proud of it!. [Five Ways to Build the Writing Habit | Write to Done]
I'd recommend checking their products out - in addition to the new Chili blend, my favorite is the Chocolate Mexicano with vanilla bean.. [Taza Chocolate]
Obama did in fact lobby the public in favor of his health care proposal, many times (as an aside, my favorite is the people who claim he should have made a speech – he did, and it was on TV and everything).. [Matthew Yglesias » The Road Not Taken]
But my favorite is the toss-off line in an Atlantic op-ed right now that the whole thing could have been fixed with one line of SQL.. [Matthew Yglesias » The Spelling Problem]
Then again, maybe my favorite is the nearly unintelligible line of Octopus's that they foolishly use in the trailer, "I'm gettin 'El Spirit-o dead while I still can.". [Archive 2009-01-01]
Favorite TranslatesFavorite English to Turkish Translate
(i)., (s). çok sevilen kimse veya şey; sevgili, gözde; spor kazanması beklenen yarışçı; (s). çok sevilen. favoriteson (pol). kendi seçim bölgesince başkanlığa aday gösterilen kimse. a favorite with tarafından sevilen, tercih edilen. favoritism (i). taraf tutma, adam kayırma.(i)., (s). çok sevilen kimse veya şey; sevgili, gözde; spor kazanması beklenen yarışçı; (s). çok sevilen. favoriteson (pol). kendi seçim bölgesince başkanlığa aday gösterilen kimse. a favorite with tarafından sevilen, tercih edilen. favoritism (i). taraf tutma, adam kayırma.