Glossy Wiki - What is the glossy?
What does the word glossy mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word glossy in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with glossy and anagrams of glossy.
Definitions of "glossy"
- Having a smooth, shiny, lustrous surface: glossy satin. See Synonyms at sleek. adjective
- Superficially and often speciously attractive; showy: glossy trendsetters. adjective
- A photographic print on smooth, shiny paper. noun
- Chiefly British A popular magazine printed on smooth-coated stock. noun
- Having a smooth, silklike, reflective surface. adjective
- a glossy magazine noun
- Smooth and shining; reflecting luster from a smooth surface; highly polished; lustrous adjective
- Smooth; specious; plausible. adjective
- Possessing a gloss; smooth and shining; reflecting luster from a smooth or polished surface.
- Having a fair or specious appearance; plausible.
- reflecting light adjective
- a magazine printed on good quality paper noun
- (of paper and fabric and leather) having a surface made smooth and glossy especially by pressing between rollers adjective
- a photograph that is printed on smooth shiny paper noun
- superficially attractive and stylish; suggesting wealth or expense adjective
The word "glossy" in example sentences
The special feature with the glossy is a perfume vials on each page.. [Archive 2007-08-01]
In a country where advertising in glossy magazines seems years away, and a swimsuit competition as unlikely as lasting peace, Khalwat is no more than a brave, awkward woman celebrating some distant ideal of beauty.. [Kabul Makeover]
I very much enjoyed the first two books by Douglas Kennedy, which were nail-biting Grisham-esque thrillers set in that sort of Madison Avenue, big business world that seems so glossy from the outside.. [March 2009]
I just mean 'sewing' here, not "la haute couture" displayed in glossy fashion magazines!. [agrafer - French Word-A-Day]
He was featured in glossy magazines, and his clothing was torn at by enthusiastic female fans whenever he made public appearances.. [Tony Curtis, 'beefcake' actor of more than 100 movies, dies]
These posters can be seen in glossy format, matt look and some of the posters will feature a cartoon type of look.. [Marvel Rider | SciFi, Fantasy & Horror Collectibles]
Mind you, maybe I received any need for appreciation from the non-fiction I had published during that time - which varied from scientific papers to articles in glossy magazines.. [What makes a successful writer? at SF Novelists]
This new hardcover book is quite spiffy, with virtually all of the previously black-and-white photographs and artwork now in glossy full color — much improved over the slightly muddy reproduction of the color sections in the original book.. [Captain Action: The Original Super-Hero Action Figure (Revised Second Edition) » Comics Worth Reading]
On the environmental front, some individual companies have been active, often producing large quantities of material, on the web and in glossy brochures, setting out very real initiatives which are reducing the carbon impact of their business.. [Books, Ebooks and the Environment « Tales from the Reading Room]
I thought I was the only person who lusted after (unobtainable) furniture in glossy mags and described it in such terms.. [chez nous]
The authors investigated whether the same could be said of “parasocial” relationships — the one-sided bonds fans establish with celebrities in glossy magazines or on TV.. [Primary Sources]
The TV/Hi-Fi wall unit below is from their Frame Collection, and is available with either an oak veneer or in glossy or matt lacquered wood.. [TV/Hi-Fi Wall Unit from Alivar]
I am honored to accept this award on behalf of all my fellow home cooks who struggle to recreate the beautiful masterpieces of cuisine we see on the Food Network and read about in glossy print cooking magazines, only to discover that not everything that is beautiful tastes great, and some things that are ugly are delicious.. [They really liked my recipe...]
Sure, some stuff is staged for tourists now (more so than 8 years ago) but Oaxaca didn't spend millions of dollars on ads in glossy magazines, yet travel articles kept pouring forth.. [Postive coments on Oaxaca]
Id read a long time back, that most food pics in glossy mags are of either plastic food or food thats half cooked.. [look Ma , I made aloo parathas]
For a parent drowning in glossy college mailings, a college admissions officer deluged with applications, or a student padding a résumé with extracurricular activities, it's easy to see applying to college as a universal American rite of passage — a brutal and ecumenical process that ushers each generation of stressed-out applicants into the anteroom of adulthood.. [Does Meritocracy Work?]