Gooseneck Wiki - What is the gooseneck?
The gooseneck is the swivel connection on a sailboat by which the boom attaches to the mast. The boom moves from side to side and up and down by swiveling on the gooseneck. The gooseneck may be a two axis swivel as pictured. Having an integrated shackle for the tack is common. Goosenecks on older rigs may be formed by a loop attached to the end of the boom that fits loosely about the mast..
What does the word gooseneck mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word gooseneck in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with gooseneck and anagrams of gooseneck.
Definitions of "gooseneck"
- A slender curved object or part, such as the flexible shaft of a type of desk lamp. noun
- Anything with a slender curved shape, resembling the neck of a goose, such as the shaft of some lamps. noun
- The swivel connection on a sailboat located near the bottom of the mast that the boom attaches to. When a sailboat performs a tack or a jibe the gooseneck swings the boom from one side of the boat to the other. noun
- Nautical: A sort of iron hook fitted to the inner end of a yard or boom, for temporary attachment to a clamp of iron or an eye-bolt, A davit. noun
- In machinery, a pipe shaped like the letter S; a flexible coupling. noun
- A nozle with a universal joint used on a fire-engine stand-pipe noun
- In lumbering: A wooden bar used to couple two logging-trucks. Also called rooster. noun
- The point of draft on a logging-sled: it consists of a curved iron hook bolted to the roll. Also called draw-hook noun
- A curved iron hook driven into the bottom of a slide to check the speed of descending logs. noun
- something in a thin curved form (like the neck of a goose) noun
The word "gooseneck" in example sentences
We replaced it with the gooseneck from the gaff of the storm trysail, and the second gooseneck broke short off inside fifteen minutes of use, and, mind you, it had been taken from the gaff of the storm trysail, upon which we would have depended in time of storm.. [Chapter 2]
Inside of the pail is a kneading prong _c_, in the shape of a gooseneck, that is revolved by turning the handle _d_.. [Woman's Institute Library of Cookery Volume 1: Essentials of Cookery; Cereals; Bread; Hot Breads]
I had shown the old-fashioned deadeyes instead of rigging screws and had drawn the wrong kind of gooseneck attaching the boom to the mast.. [Cumberland, Part 3: Acting It Out]
Wind damage during early kernel development is seldom serious, even though the plants may be knocked almost flat, since they still have the ability to "gooseneck" themselves (curve up) into a nearly vertical position.. [Chapter 7]
This makes embracing the 'gooseneck' thing that much more complicated for me. .... [ESPN.com - TrueHoop]
Just in case you need to make plenty of video calls under low light conditions, the Kensington Video Chat Light might just do the trick, requiring a single USB port to power it alongside a flexible gooseneck which is sturdy yet pliable at the asme time.. [Ubergizmo]
Just some of what he's serving up today: "One completely random note: the 'gooseneck' and '3-3-0' gestures LeBron does have been called satanist gestures.. [ESPN.com - TrueHoop]
Next, the gooseneck of the truss, on which it pivoted, smashed away.. [CHAPTER XLVI]
I went to the igloo, and the brew simmered and bubbled, and the steam journeyed through the gooseneck even as thy steam, and even as shine it became water where it met the ice, and dropped into the pot at the far end.. [A HYPERBOREAN BREW]
I sent Moosu without to pound ice, while I connected the barrel of his gun with the gooseneck, and midway on the barrel I piled the ice he had pounded.. [A HYPERBOREAN BREW]
But the way became clear to me, and in the morning I said to him: 'Go thou cunningly abroad, after thy fashion, and procure me some sort of bone, crooked like a gooseneck, and hollow.. [A HYPERBOREAN BREW]
The kerosene can I set over the lamp, and to its nose I affixed a snout, and into the snout the bone that was like a gooseneck.. [A HYPERBOREAN BREW]
'And further yet, because I have used my wealth unwisely, and I to oppress ye, O my children, do I make gifts of the kerosene can to Moosu, and the gooseneck, and the gun barrel, and the copper kettle.. [A HYPERBOREAN BREW]
Moosu, and the gooseneck, and the gun-barrel, and the copper kettle.. [A HYPERBOREAN BREW]
I went to the igloo, and the brew simmered and bubbled, and the steam journeyed through the gooseneck even as thy steam, and even as thine it became water where it met the ice, and dropped into the pot at the far end.. [A HYPERBOREAN BREW]
You have made it: a quarter mile stretch of sand and intertidal coves, covered in mussels, sea anemones and gooseneck barnacles.. [John Bourne: My Gray Whale]
Gooseneck TranslatesGooseneck English to Turkish Translate
(i.) kaz boynu şeklinde şey .(i.) kaz boynu şeklinde şey .