Greedy Wiki - What is the greedy?
What does the word greedy mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word greedy in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with greedy and anagrams of greedy.
Definitions of "greedy"
- Excessively desirous of acquiring or possessing, especially wishing to possess more than what one needs or deserves. adjective
- Wanting to eat or drink more than one can reasonably consume; gluttonous. adjective
- Extremely eager or desirous: greedy for the opportunity to prove their ability. adjective
- Having greed; consumed by selfish desires. adjective
- Prone to overeat. adjective
- Tending to match as much text as possible. adjective
- Having a keen appetite for food or drink; ravenous; voracious; very hungry; -- followed by of. adjective
- Having a keen desire for anything; vehemently desirous; eager to obtain; avaricious. adjective
- Having an inordinate desire for food or drink; ravenous; voracious; very hungry.
- Synonyms Insatiate, insatiable, rapacious, gluttonous.
- (often followed by `for') ardently or excessively desirous adjective
- wanting to eat or drink more than one can reasonably consume adjective
- immoderately desirous of acquiring e.g. wealth adjective
The word "greedy" in example sentences
I should suggest that it means not merely "_recipient_, capable of receiving," but, to coin a word, _captatious_, eager or greedy to receive, absorbing; as we say _avidum mare_, or a _greedy gulf_.. [Notes and Queries, Number 65, January 25, 1851]
Nick Robinson: "I think the word greedy was shouted out". [BBC News - Home]
He's been very, very tough on what he calls the greedy, the CEOs that are making hundreds of millions dollars a year.. [CNN Transcript Dec 30, 2007]
The continent's two biggest economies want the rest of the developed world to join them in cracking down on what they call greedy bankers.. [Marketplace]
When teachers are called greedy and the jobless are called lazy.. [Brent Budowsky: Occupy Wall Street: The Thomas Paines of our Time]
Paul: The allegation that Jews are greedy is based on perceptions of cultural values that some believe Jews to possess.. [The Volokh Conspiracy » 3. The Practical Costs of Condemning Openness to Distressing Answers on Factual Questions]
The allegation that Jews are greedy is based on perceptions of cultural values that some believe Jews to possess.. [The Volokh Conspiracy » 3. The Practical Costs of Condemning Openness to Distressing Answers on Factual Questions]
Politicians laud new policy as “reining in greedy corporations” – People BELIEVE it (!?) 6.. [Wonk Room » Why Wal-Mart Is Now Supporting An Employer Mandate]
Being short-term greedy, betting the farm, and destroying your firm, it turns out, wasn't against the law.. [Danny Schechter: See No Evil: Movies, Inquiry Avoid Exposing Fraud While Banksters Go Free]
I know when I was a salesperson, I could take advantage of those who were ignorant of the way we on Wall Street work if I wanted to be short-term greedy.. [Jim Cramer's Real Money]
Mike Martz won't be nominated anytime soon for the Bill Walsh School of Coaching Genius because he just got plain greedy at times.. [USATODAY.com - Patriots prove to be no patsies]
Social mobility was occurring and small-scale capitalism was developing within a Christian culture which had previously opposed rising above one's rank and had a vested interest in a feudal social system, so Jews became known as greedy, usureres, etc.. [Love and Rage Electronic Edition Part 4]
I have used the word greedy, but the reader must not suppose that he can change it for that closely kindred one of hungry; for there is here no aspiration, no waiting for better things, but an animal joy in all that comes.. [Samuel Pepys]
Finally, we may observe that, with recent successes and even in the face of the disaster at Murfreesboro ', the tone of the South has become firmer and firmer, and it is even more emphatic than ever in its exultation at the prospect of being freed from the yoke of what it calls the greedy, hard, usurious Yankee.. [London; Saturday, January 31, 1863]
They were described as greedy or morally obtuse: they should have seen themselves as privileged to be part of loving households.. [NYT > Home Page]
Goldman, in that era, was still a firm guided by investment bankers, sometimes in tandem with traders but always with the motto "long-term greedy" rather than short-term.. [BusinessWeek.com -- Top News]