Harem Wiki - What is the harem?
Harem (Arabic: حريم ḥarīm, "a sacred inviolable place; harem; female members of the family"), also known as zenana in South Asia, properly refers to domestic spaces that are reserved for the women of the house in a Muslim family and are inaccessible to adult males except for close relations. This private space has been traditionally understood as serving the purposes of maintaining the modesty, privilege, and protection of women. A harem may house a man's wife—or wives and concubines, as in royal harems of the past—their pre-pubescent male children, unmarried daughters, female domestic workers, and other unmarried female relatives. In former times, some harems were guarded by eunuchs (castrated men) who were allowed inside. Similar institutions have been common in other Mediterranean and Middle Eastern civilizations, especially among royal and upper-class families and the term is sometimes used in non-Islamic contexts. The structure of the harem and the extent of monogamy or polygamy has varied depending on the family's personalities, socio-economic status, and local customs.Although the institution has experienced a sharp decline in the modern era, seclusion of women is still practiced in some parts of the world, such as rural Afghanistan and conservative states of the Gulf region.In the West, Orientalist imaginary conceptions of the harem as a fantasy world of forbidden sexuality where numerous women lounged in suggestive poses have influenced many paintings, stage productions, films and literary works. Several European Renaissance paintings dating to the 16th century defy Orientalist tropes and portray the women of the Ottoman harem as individuals of status and political significance. In many periods of Islamic history women in the harem exercised various degrees of political power..
What does the word harem mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word harem in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with harem and anagrams of harem.
Definitions of "harem"
- A house or a section of a house reserved for women members of a Muslim household. noun
- The wives, concubines, female relatives, and servants occupying such a place. noun
- A group of women sexual partners for one man. noun
- The private part of an Arab household. In traditional Arab culture, this part of the household was forbidden to male strangers. noun
- A group of women, wives and/or concubines in a polygamous household. noun
- A group of female animals (cows) herded and controlled by a male animal (bull) of that species for breeding purposes. Such behaviour is exhibited by bovids including cattle and buffalo as well as moose, elephants, seals, sea lions, sea elephants. noun
- The apartments or portion of the house allotted to females in Mohammedan families. noun
- The family of wives and concubines belonging to one man, in Mohammedan countries; a seraglio. noun
- In Turkey, Egypt, Syria, etc., the part of a dwelling-house, including an inclosed courtyard, appropriated to the female members of a Mohammedan family, and so constructed as to secure the utmost seclusion and privacy. In India the corresponding chambers, offices, and inclosure are called the zenana. noun
- Collectively, the occupants of a harem, consisting in a Mohammedan family of the wife, or wives (usually to the number of four), female relatives of the husband, female slaves or concubines, and sometimes eunuchs as guardians and attendants. noun
- A sacred place; either of the holy cities Mecca and Medina, called the two harems, as places prohibited to infidels. noun
- The group of female fur-seals (cows) controlled by a single male fur-seal (bull): the unit of life on the fur-seal rookeries. noun
- living quarters reserved for wives and concubines and female relatives in a Muslim household noun
The word "harem" in example sentences
Cleopatra _Cleopatra_ compatriot _compatriot_ gratis _gratis_ or _grahtis_ harem _harem_ or _hahrem_ heinous _hanous_ hiatus _hiatus_ implacable _implakable_ nape _nap_ née _na_ négligé _naglezha'_ patron _patron_ protégé _protazha'_ résumé _razuma'_ tenacious _tenashus_ tomato _tomato_ or _tomahto_ valet _va'la_ or _val'et_ vase _vas, vahz_, or _vaz_ veracious _verashus_ vivacious _vivashus_. [Practical Grammar and Composition]
The Turkish harem comes from the Arabic word á¸¤arÄm, meaning. [SeeLight:]
The most obvious yet often unasked question - why the term harem to qualify this pant?. [Racialicious - the intersection of race and pop culture]
In long passages both bawdy and fantastic, we are shown how the feminine principle makes nonsense of all forms of statecraft, including even the cleverest ones adumbrated in The Prince, and how the distance between the boudoir and the bordello or zenana or harem is disconcertingly short.. [Cassocks and Codpieces]
Now why would westeners even assign the word harem to these pants, even the ones that are really that style and not trousers with gathered legs?. ["Those are winter harem pants. Do you hear me? HAREM PANTS. For WINTER."]
Cue Egyptian babe, resplendent in harem gear and packing heat.. [Archive 2007-03-01]
The word harem means the thing or person that is forbidden in Arabic.. [Archive 2009-04-01]
KING: Why are you in this for want of a better term harem?. [CNN Transcript Nov 29, 2005]
It must be confessed that the "light of the harem" is not beautiful.. [The Golden Chersonese and the Way Thither]
Then called Esther for Hatach, one of the king's chamberlains, whom he had appointed to attend upon her -- Communication with the women in the harem is very difficult to be obtained, and only through the medium of the keepers.. [Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible]
Mordecai walked every day before the court of the women's house -- The harem is an inviolable sanctuary, and what is transacted within its walls is as much a secret to those without as if they were thousands of miles away.. [Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible]
30 Any violation by word or deed of the secrecy of the harem is an unpardonable offence among the Turkish nations; 31 and the political quarrel of the two monarchs was imbittered by private and personal resentment.. [The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire]
D'Addario last week told an Italian newspaper that a local businessman now being probed by magistrates paid her €1000 ($1408) to attend a dinner at Berlusconi's Rome residence along with other young women -- what she described as a "harem" -- and she was back a few weeks later to spend the night with the premier, Reuters. com reported.. [WN.com - Business News]
Reminded us of the sickly sexual prowlings of Flo-Rida with his "harem" - Whoa, talkin about 'family entertainment'!. [Entertainment Weekly's PopWatch]
Lots of scantily clad dancers - Ryan calls them Flo Rida's "harem" -- confetti in the air, it's messy on that stage.. 
(Frequently, when visiting England as an adult in the main series, Hakim and his harem were a source of much entertaining comic relief.). [*Emma Book 9 — Recommended » Manga Worth Reading]
Harem TranslatesHarem English to Turkish Translate
(i.) harem, harem dairesi .(i.) harem, harem dairesi .