Harmony Wiki - What is the harmony?
In music, harmony considers the process by which the composition of individual sounds, or superpositions of sounds, is analysed by hearing. Usually, this means simultaneously occurring frequencies, pitches (tones, notes), or chords.The study of harmony involves chords and their construction and chord progressions and the principles of connection that govern them.Harmony is often said to refer to the "vertical" aspect of music, as distinguished from melodic line, or the "horizontal" aspect.Counterpoint, which refers to the relationship between melodic lines, and polyphony, which refers to the simultaneous sounding of separate independent voices, are thus sometimes distinguished from harmony. In popular and jazz harmony, chords are named by their root plus various terms and characters indicating their qualities. In many types of music, notably baroque, romantic, modern, and jazz, chords are often augmented with "tensions". A tension is an additional chord member that creates a relatively dissonant interval in relation to the bass. Typically, in the classical common practice period a dissonant chord (chord with tension) "resolves" to a consonant chord. Harmonization usually sounds pleasant to the ear when there is a balance between the consonant and dissonant sounds. In simple words, that occurs when there is a balance between "tense" and "relaxed" moments..
What does the word harmony mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word harmony in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with harmony and anagrams of harmony.
Definitions of "harmony"
- Agreement in feeling or opinion; accord: live in harmony. noun
- A pleasing combination of elements in a whole: color harmony; the order and harmony of the universe. See Synonyms at proportion. noun
- Music The study of the structure, progression, and relation of chords. noun
- Music Simultaneous combination of notes in a chord. noun
- Music The structure of a work or passage as considered from the point of view of its chordal characteristics and relationships. noun
- Music A combination of sounds considered pleasing to the ear. noun
- A collation of parallel passages, especially from the Gospels, with a commentary demonstrating their consonance and explaining their discrepancies. noun
- Agreement or accord. noun
- a pleasing combination of elements, or arrangement of sounds noun
- The academic study of chords. noun
- Two or more notes played simultaneously to produce a chord. noun
- The relationship between two distinct musical pitches (musical pitches being frequencies of vibration which produce audible sound) played simultaneously. noun
- The just adaptation of parts to each other, in any system or combination of things, or in things intended to form a connected whole; such an agreement between the different parts of a design or composition as to produce unity of effect. noun
- Concord or agreement in facts, opinions, manners, interests, etc.; good correspondence; peace and friendship. noun
- A literary work which brings together or arranges systematically parallel passages of historians respecting the same events, and shows their agreement or consistency. noun
- A succession of chords according to the rules of progression and modulation. noun
- The science which treats of their construction and progression. noun
- See Harmonic suture, under Harmonic. noun
The word "harmony" in example sentences
Whether he and Dunleavy could have coexisted in harmony is debatable.. [USATODAY.com - Basketball - Toronto vs. L.A. Clippers]
Beauty lies in harmony, not in contrast; and harmony is refinement; therefore, there must be a fineness of the [Page 222] senses if we are to appreciate harmony.. [The Montessori Method]
This harmony is a reason which a Triads can work with a Mafia, a CIA, as good as a Illuminati.. [Batin Itam: The Li Blood Line]
The positions of the hands of the executants on the harps and lyres, as well as the use of short and long pipes, make it appear probable that something of what we call harmony was known to the Egyptians.. [Critical and Historical Essays Lectures delivered at Columbia University]
This division of the string made what we call harmony impossible; for by it the major third became a larger interval than our modern one, and the minor third smaller.. [Critical and Historical Essays Lectures delivered at Columbia University]
Age and infirmity seem to be overlooked in what she calls the harmony between us, -- not perfect agreement of opinion (which I should regret, with almost fifty years of difference), but the spirit-union: can you say what it is?. [Lady Byron Vindicated A history of the Byron controversy from its beginning in 1816 to the present time]
Now you want everybody to quit doing it so that they can live in "harmony"?. [What a Bunch of Apes! « L.E. Modesitt, Jr. – The Official Website]
Anna had realized that for most people on Erde, even players, the term harmony had a far more general meaning in Liedwahr " something akin to "not creating dissonance" rather than the earthly technical musical meaning of parallel chords or supporting lines of music distinct from the melody line.. [The Spellsong War]
Photographs by Pascal Chevallier Sled-riding skeletons, 16th-century portraits and little rice houses live in harmony within Sperone's Swiss retreat.. [Sperone's One-Man Museum]
Sled-riding skeletons, 16th-century portraits and little rice houses live in harmony within Sperone's Swiss retreat.. [Sperone's One-Man Museum]
Special Forces personnel to ensure that the company was constantly acting in harmony with, and in support of, U.S. military interests and desires, the spokesman said.. [U.S. Contractors Employed Taliban]
That the secret to peace and harmony is more miscommunication, not less. godoggo says:. [Matthew Yglesias » Endgame]
We envision Spheres of Influence working in harmony with each other, based upon a Diverse Monetary Structure, a floating value to each individual currency based upon markets values.. [Matthew Yglesias » “Minority Rights” and the US Senate]
Feng Shui is an art of living in harmony with the elements and while some of its intricate matters need expert touch, the most basic principles can be implemented with ease.. [Mantra Bed by Mauro Bertame]
I know this is probably a ‘wrong’ answer but I love a spicy Cote du Rhone red that will balance out the sweetness of the Butternut squash and work in harmony with the sage.. [Butternut squash ravioli with sage butter: wine pairing | Dr Vino's wine blog]
Like emptiness in harmony I need someone to comfort me.. [Writer Unboxed » Blog Archive » Top 10 (or 11) Writers’ Anthems of All Time]
Harmony TranslatesHarmony English to Turkish Translate
(i.) ahenk, uyum; (müz.), harmoni, seslerin uyması; uygunluk; ahenk ilmi .(i.) ahenk, uyum; (müz.), harmoni, seslerin uyması; uygunluk; ahenk ilmi .