Heaven Wiki - What is the heaven?
Heaven, or the heavens, is a common religious, cosmological, or transcendent place where beings such as gods, angels, spirits, saints, or venerated ancestors are said to originate, be enthroned, or live. According to the beliefs of some religions, heavenly beings can descend to earth or incarnate, and earthly beings can ascend to heaven in the afterlife, or in exceptional cases enter heaven alive. Heaven is often described as a "higher place", the holiest place, a Paradise, in contrast to hell or the Underworld or the "low places", and universally or conditionally accessible by earthly beings according to various standards of divinity, goodness, piety, faith, or other virtues or right beliefs or simply the will of God. Some believe in the possibility of a heaven on Earth in a World to Come. Another belief is in an axis mundi or world tree which connects the heavens, the terrestrial world, and the underworld. In Indian religions, heaven is considered as Svarga loka, and the soul is again subjected to rebirth in different living forms according to its karma. This cycle can be broken after a soul achieves Moksha or Nirvana. Any place of existence, either of humans, souls or deities, outside the tangible world (heaven, hell, or other) is referred to as otherworld..
What does the word heaven mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word heaven in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with heaven and anagrams of heaven.
Definitions of "heaven"
- The sky or universe as seen from the earth; the firmament. Often used in the plural. noun
- Christianity The abode of God, the angels, and the souls of those who are granted salvation. noun
- Christianity An eternal state of communion with God; everlasting bliss. noun
- Any of the places in or beyond the sky conceived of as domains of divine beings in various religions. noun
- God: Heaven help you! noun
- Used in various phrases to express surprise: Good heavens! noun
- The celestial powers; the gods. Often used in the plural: The heavens favored the young prince. noun
- A condition or place of great happiness, delight, or pleasure: The lake was heaven. noun
- move heaven and earth To do everything possible to bring about something desired. idiom
- The sky. noun
- The paradise of the afterlife in certain religions, considered to be the home of the god or gods of those religions, and often the home, or one of various possible homes, of souls of deceased people. noun
- A blissful place or experience. noun
- The expanse of space surrounding the earth; esp., that which seems to be over the earth like a great arch or dome; the firmament; the sky; the place where the sun, moon, and stars appear; -- often used in the plural in this sense. noun
- The dwelling place of the Deity; the abode of bliss; the place or state of the blessed after death. noun
- The sovereign of heaven; God; also, the assembly of the blessed, collectively; -- used variously in this sense, as in No. 2.. noun
- Any place of supreme happiness or great comfort; perfect felicity; bliss; a sublime or exalted condition. noun
- To place in happiness or bliss, as if in heaven; to beatify. verb-transitive
- To place in or as if in heaven; make supremely happy or blessed; beatify.
- The expanse of space surrounding the earth, and appearing above and around us as a great arch or vault, in which the sun, moon, and stars seem to be set; the sky; the firmament; the celestial regions: often used in the plural. noun
The word "heaven" in example sentences
"_Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven, but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven_.". [Men of the Bible; Some Lesser-Known Characters]
"And ascended into heaven" -- this passage shows the belief that He returned to the place from which He came, for the Nicene Creed has stated that he "_came down from heaven_ and was incarnate ... and was made man.". [Mystic Christianity]
The holy city is not heaven; it came down from God _out of heaven_.. [The Arena Volume 4, No. 20, July, 1891]
But whether she told of the grumbler who could find nothing to complain of in heaven except that "his halo didn't fit," or said in her quick way, when the plainness of a lady's dress was commended, "Why, I didn't suppose that anybody could go _to heaven_ now-a-days without an overskirt," or wrote her sparkling impromptu rhymes for our children's games, her mirth was all in harmony with her earnest life.. [The Life and Letters of Elizabeth Prentiss]
In answer to a question which I put to her later, about her view of heaven and of the relation of the saints in glory to their old friends there and here, she replied, in substance, that to her view _heaven is being with Christ and to be with Christ is heaven_.. [The Life and Letters of Elizabeth Prentiss]
“Though heaven should speak with all _his_ wrath at once”, and proceeds, “_heaven_ is ill syntax with _his_”; while in fact up to within forty or fifty years of the time when Dryden began to write, no other syntax was known; and to a much later date was exceedingly rare.. [English Past and Present]
Because the action of depraved (disordered) faculties and powers, would not, even in heaven itself, be conformed to the divine law, and _could not be acceptable to God_ In our natural state, moreover, we have not the _qualifications requisite for the enjoyment of heaven_, having no spiritual appetites.. [American Lutheranism Vindicated; or, Examination of the Lutheran Symbols, on Certain Disputed Topics Including a Reply to the Plea of Rev. W. J. Mann]
Lidat at most he let you spend 10 sec on heaven, aftr that he banish you to hell jesus say he will never turn away from his followers wor ... just need to follow him can liao chiu see those murderers, they confess liao, then they say they sorry, also can go to heaven~ but with devils like these, who needs heaven~. [www.hardwarezone.com.sg]
* youll be in heaven and happy while you stand with God ate the gated of heaven*. [jeffmilner.com]
Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of My Father which is in heaven_. ". [Men of the Bible; Some Lesser-Known Characters]
Tangaloa said, "It is indeed very bad; but now that you have left behind all the places where wars may be fought out, and have come to this heaven of peace, let your wrath abate, spare these men, and you shall go back with the title of _King of heaven_, and take my daughter. [Samoa, A Hundred Years Ago And Long Before]
"Oh! it's such heaven," she said, lifting her shoulders with an extravagant gesture -- "such _heaven_!. [The Marriage of William Ashe]
Principle which made heaven and earth) was never absent from the earth and heaven; hence the phraseology of Jesus, who spoke of the Christ as one who came down from heaven, yet as "the Son of man _which is in heaven_.". [Unity of Good]
IV. iii.107 (493,7) heaven me such usage send] -- _heaven me such_ uses. [Notes to Shakespeare, Volume III: The Tragedies]
After the burial fatigues we were glad to lie on the grass, go to sleep, wake up and ponder what the hell are we doing here, and what in heaven is in store for us?.. [John Keay]
Good God in heaven, is there no where we can be safe from Big Fascist and his little turd informants?. [Whither Zinni « Antiwar.com Blog]
Heaven TranslatesHeaven English to Turkish Translate
(i). cennet; gök, sema; (b.h). Allah, Cenabı Hak; saadet, mutluluk. For heaven's sake ! Allah aşkına ! Good Heavens! Aman yarabbi ! in seventh heaven çok mutlu. move heaven and earth mümkün olan her şeyi yapmak. smell to high heaven pis kokmak. Where in heaven have you been? Neredeydin Allah aşkına?(i). cennet; gök, sema; (b.h). Allah, Cenabı Hak; saadet, mutluluk. For heaven's sake ! Allah aşkına ! Good Heavens! Aman yarabbi ! in seventh heaven çok mutlu. move heaven and earth mümkün olan her şeyi yapmak. smell to high heaven pis kokmak. Where in heaven have you been? Neredeydin Allah aşkına?