Hill Wiki - What is the hill?
A hill is a landform that extends above the surrounding terrain. It often has a distinct summit, although in areas with scarp/dip topography a hill may refer to a particular section of flat terrain without a massive summit (e.g., Box Hill, Surrey)..
What does the word hill mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word hill in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with hill and anagrams of hill.
Definitions of "hill"
- A well-defined natural elevation smaller than a mountain. noun
- A small heap, pile, or mound. noun
- A mound of earth piled around and over a plant. noun
- A plant thus covered. noun
- An incline, especially of a road; a slope. noun
- Capitol Hill. Often used with the. noun
- The U.S. Congress. Often used with the. noun
- To form into a hill, pile, or heap. verb-transitive
- To cover (a plant) with a mound of soil. verb-transitive
- over the hill Informal Past one's prime. idiom
- An elevated location smaller than a mountain. noun
- A sloping road. noun
- A heap of earth surrounding a plant. noun
- The pitcher’s mound. noun
- A natural elevation of land, or a mass of earth rising above the common level of the surrounding land; an eminence less than a mountain. noun
- The earth raised about the roots of a plant or cluster of plants. [U. S.] See Hill, v. t. noun
- A single cluster or group of plants growing close together, and having the earth heaped up about them. noun
- To surround with earth; to heap or draw earth around or upon. verb-transitive
- To form small hills or heaps of earth around; form into hills or heaps: as, to hill corn; to hill the ground.
The word "hill" in example sentences
Poster2: * Runs up the hill, tosses a ball past Poster1 and watches Poster1 run down the hill* then he/she states "My hill!". [Wrong Planet Asperger / Autism Forums]
THOUSANDS of sheep, soft-footed, black-nosed sheepone by one going up the hill and over the fenceone by one four-footed pattering up and overone by one wiggling their stub tails as they take the short jump and go overone by one silently unless for the multitudinous drumming of their hoofs as they move on and go overthousands and thousands of them in the grey haze of evening just after sundownone by one slanting in a long line to pass over the hill. [Sheep]
Finding the path up the hill is the only difficult point on the hike.. [Peace and beauty - roaming the hills around Morelia]
Also with Dave you would listen just to see how bad and over the hill is actually is.. [David Lee Roth: Amtrak FM « BuzzMachine]
JERAS: I'm looking at a map as we speak trying to find it, but I'm not sure how far away it is from San Antonio proper, but you know, if you get up to the north and west of the San Antonio area, you get into what they call the hill country, and so, that's in higher elevation.. [CNN Transcript Jul 21, 2007]
They would miss the Fiesta of the Virgen de Guadalupe, where the church high on the hill is the centrepiece.. [San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas]
Down the hill is a nonpareil collection of Eskimo, Tlingit, Haida, and other native art at the Alaska. [Scaling Alaska's Heights]
On the crest of the hill is the rye, cut high on its blooming stem:. [Songs of Ukraina, With Ruthenian Poems]
Half way up the hill is an entrance, almost hidden by moss and other creeping foliage, which leads into a cave.. [Six Months in Mexico]
About the Middle of the hill is a broad Grass walk railed in and enters into a Dineing roome.. [Through England on a Side Saddle in the Time of William and Mary]
More than halfway up the road towards the hill is a barricade, from behind which a Secessionist sharpshooter is having some pot shots, and, screened by the hedges in the cornfields, others are doing the same.. [Illustration of the War in America]
A valley or a hill is a bad situation for a kitchen-garden; as the valley is very liable to injury from frost, on account of the damps that hang over it; and the hill is not only cold, but exposed to injury from high winds.. [The Lady's Country Companion: or, How to Enjoy a Country Life Rationally]
Poor Rubio – that will be the Kiss of Death and who in the sam hill is Cheney to call anyone an unprincipled opportunist – it is not always about standing up to someone – there are times when it is about working together for a common goal.. [Cheney endorses Rubio for Senate]
The good shows are the ones that the hill is not so high.. [Heroes Con Wrap-Up]
For instance, if a stone erodes and tumbles down a hill, is that a "blind" or "non-blind" process?. [A True Scientist]
From standing on the flats it might be obvious that the nearby hill is tall, but with greater experience you might realize it's not really so tall after all.. [Contentment]
Hill TranslatesHill English to Turkish Translate
(i)., (f). tepe, bayır, yokuş; yığın; küme; bitkilerin etrafına veya üstüne örtülmuş toprak yığını; (f). tepe veya yığın teşkil etmek, ağaç köklerinin etrafına toprak yığmak. hill station Hindistan'da yayla. hilly (s). tepelik. hilliness (s). tepelik oluş.(i)., (f). tepe, bayır, yokuş; yığın; küme; bitkilerin etrafına veya üstüne örtülmuş toprak yığını; (f). tepe veya yığın teşkil etmek, ağaç köklerinin etrafına toprak yığmak. hill station Hindistan'da yayla. hilly (s). tepelik. hilliness (s). tepelik oluş.