His Wiki - What is the his?
What does the word his mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word his in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with his and anagrams of his.
Definitions of "his"
- Used as a modifier before a noun. adjective
- Used to indicate the one or ones belonging to him. pronoun
- The possessive (genitive) masculine (and formerly also neuter) of he.
- A perverted form of the genitive inflection -s, -'s, Middle English and early modern English -es, -is (see -es and -s), which was confused with the genitive pronoun his, and became common especially after nouns whose nominatives end in -S.
- [The use naturally extended to the feminine gender and the plural number:
- Belonging or pertaining to
him; -- used as a pronominal adjective or adjective pronoun; ; formerly used also for its, but this use is now obsolete. pronoun
- The possessive of
- Belonging to
- Used erroneously in place of ’s after a noun, especially a masculine noun ending in s, to express the possessive case. pronoun
- That which belongs to
him; the possessive case of he, used without a following noun. pronoun