Humble Wiki - What is the humble?
Humble is an adjective meaning possessing or displaying humility. "Humble" may also refer to:.
What does the word humble mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word humble in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with humble and anagrams of humble.
Definitions of "humble"
- Marked by meekness or modesty in behavior, attitude, or spirit; not arrogant or prideful. adjective
- Showing deferential or submissive respect: a humble apology. adjective
- Low in rank, quality, or station; unpretentious or lowly: a humble cottage. adjective
- To curtail or destroy the pride of; humiliate. verb-transitive
- To cause to be meek or modest in spirit. verb-transitive
- To give a lower condition or station to; abase. See Synonyms at degrade. verb-transitive
- Near the ground; not high or lofty; not pretentious or magnificent; unpretending; unassuming; as, a humble cottage. adjective
- Thinking lowly of one's self; claiming little for one's self; not proud, arrogant, or assuming; lowly; weak; modest. adjective
- To bring low; to reduce the power, independence, or exaltation of; to lower; to abase; to humiliate. verb
- To make humble or lowly in mind; to abase the pride or arrogance of; to reduce the self-sufficiency of; to make meek and submissive; -- often used reflexively. verb
- Near the ground; not high or lofty; not pretentious or magnificent; unpretending; unassuming. adjective
- Thinking lowly of one's self; claiming little for one's self; not proud, arrogant, or assuming; thinking one's self ill-deserving or unworthy, when judged by the demands of God; lowly; waek; modest. adjective
- Hornless. See hummel. adjective
- To bring low; to reduce the power, independence, or exaltation of; to lower; to abase; to humilate. verb-transitive
- To make humble or lowly in mind; to abase the pride or arrogance of; to reduce the self-sufficiently of; to make meek and submissive; -- often used rexlexively. verb-transitive
- To hum.
- To break; make sore.
- To break off the ears of (barley) with a flail; separate from the awns.
- To break off the horns of.
The word "humble" in example sentences
Meanwhile, the term "humble brag" is slowly seeping into the public consciousness.. [Re-Tweeting (Not-So) Humble Promoters]
The word humble comes from the same root as humus, or soil.. [Beau Friedlander: Hamburger And Humple Pie, Or, What I Did For Lent]
I think you are right about the humble is as humble does bit.. [AKMA’s Random Thoughts]
However, it was hosting quiz shows - what he referred to as his "humble calling" - that most will remember him for.. [Telegraph.co.uk - Telegraph online, Daily Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph]
In the mystery of Your love, O Christ, help us to kneel at the manger, where You were wrapped in humble clothes and surrounded by animals.. [Mary, Mother of God]
* (For the record, it is "conservateurs" we must watch out for, else we watch, in humble-pie I could just die horror, as the French stare back with smirks on their faces.). [faux amis]
Until critics can offer a transparent, credible, and replicable explanation of why a particular set of facts is necessary for a particular set of socially valuable outcomes, they should remain humble when assessing the competence of others.. [How Egalitarianism Undermines the Study of Voter Competence, Bryan Caplan | EconLog | Library of Economics and Liberty]
But out there in humble Burbland, the knives and the grudges grow ever sharper.. [Tory press defenders of Middle England rail against the toffs]
Remain humble while remembering that our brain in nothing more than a sponge!. [Hotels? - Guanajuato, Zacatecas, Leon]
I remain humble and open and am willing to explore, compare and even yield when presented with new ideas outside of my own belief system.. [David Nichtern: 3 Levels of Tolerance and What They Mean for Bullying]
It is a time for all of us to examine our lifestyles in the light of Scripture and do what we are asked to do in 2 Chronicles 7: 14 -- "If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, pray, seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.". [Tony Campolo: Questions in a Time of Crisis]
These individuals are often described as humble, yet determined, quiet, modest, self-effacing, yet fanatically driven to product sustained results -- as such, their personalities are contrary to what you might expect or assume for someone in this position.. [Amy Swift: Getting from Good to Great]
The stone-cutter's hand must have been as weary when he blundered over the word humble as the poet's brain evidently was when he reached the line which limps so lamely to the conclusion.. [Over the Border: Acadia, the Home of "Evangeline"]
Would he recollect what the deputy had said about eating that ugly dish which is commonly known as humble pie?. [The Devil's Garden]
Beatrice's foot; when she drove the Lady Margaretta out of the room, and gave her own opinion as to the proper grammatical construction of the word humble; such also had been her feelings when she kept her hand so rigidly to herself while Frank held the dining-room door open for her to pass through.. [Doctor Thorne]
The day broke bright and cheerful; the morning prayers, never forgotten in this truly Christian household, were over, and the gifts and greetings exchanged; the village bell rang out clear on the frosty air, and sounded rejoicingly as it called the humble community to give thanks in the little old-fashioned church, as the custom was on. [Watch—Work—Wait Or, The Orphan's Victory]
Humble TranslatesHumble English to Turkish Translate
s., f. alçak gönüllü, mütevazı; hakir, aciz; saygılı, hürmetkar; f. kibrini kırmak, colloq. burnunu sürtmek, karşısında eğilmeye mecbur tutmak. humble apology alçak gönüllülükle özür dileme. humble dwelling mütevazı ev. eat humble pie kibri kırılmak, övüngenlikten vaz geçip boyun eğmek; kabahatini itiraf edip af di- lemek, colloq. tükürdüğünü yalamak. your humble servant aciz kulunuz. humbly z. alçak gönüllülükle, tevazu ile. humbleness i. alçak gönüllülük, tevazu.s., f. alçak gönüllü, mütevazı; hakir, aciz; saygılı, hürmetkar; f. kibrini kırmak, colloq. burnunu sürtmek, karşısında eğilmeye mecbur tutmak. humble apology alçak gönüllülükle özür dileme. humble dwelling mütevazı ev. eat humble pie kibri kırılmak, övüngenlikten vaz geçip boyun eğmek; kabahatini itiraf edip af di- lemek, colloq. tükürdüğünü yalamak. your humble servant aciz kulunuz. humbly z. alçak gönüllülükle, tevazu ile. humbleness i. alçak gönüllülük, tevazu.
News about humble
How to Know When You Might Actually Be Wrong
In any argument, it can be hard to tell who is wrong and who is right. Except when you’re one of the involved parties, that is—because you’re definitely right. Right? Read more...
Glaze Roasted Meats With Mustard and Jam
There are so many good jams, jellies, and preserved fruit spreads in this world, it can be easy to accumulate quite a collection. (At any given time, I have three to five Bonne Maman jars in my fridge.) Though these fruity beauties are perfect on nothing more…
The Morning After: Rollable TVs are a real thing
Hey, good morning! You look fabulous. It's Tuesday morning, and today is the day CES officially starts. The show floor will open, we'll be livestreaming all day long from our stage and there will be So. Many. TVs. Before we dive into what today holds for us, …