Hypnotic Wiki - What is the hypnotic?
What does the word hypnotic mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word hypnotic in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with hypnotic and anagrams of hypnotic.
Definitions of "hypnotic"
- Of or relating to hypnosis. adjective
- Of or relating to hypnotism. adjective
- Inducing or tending to induce sleep; soporific: read the bedtime story in a hypnotic voice. adjective
- A person who is hypnotized. noun
- A person who can be hypnotized. noun
- An agent that causes sleep; a soporific. noun
- Of, or relating to hypnosis or hypnotism. adjective
- Inducing sleep; soporific. adjective
- A person who is, or can be, hypnotized. noun
- A soporific substance. noun
- Having the quality of producing sleep; tending to produce sleep; soporific. adjective
- Of or pertaining to hypnotism; in a state of hypnotism; liable to hypnotism. adjective
- Any agent that produces, or tends to produce, sleep; an opiate; a soporific; a narcotic. noun
- A person who exhibits the phenomena of, or is subject to, hypnotism. noun
- Having the property of producing sleep; tending to produce sleep; soporific.
- Pertaining to or characterized by hypnotism.
- A medicine that produces or tends to produce sleep; an opiate; a soporific. noun
- One who is subject to hypnotism; one in whom hypnotism has been induced. noun
- attracting and holding interest as if by a spell adjective
The word "hypnotic" in example sentences
The world, it seems to me, abounds in people who are little more than blank sheets of paper, on which a strong hand may transcribe what it will – hysteric subjects, the doctors would call them; hypnotic subjects others would say; really the line that divides the hysteric condition from the hypnotic is a very hazy one.. [The Experiences of Loveday Brooke, Lady Detective]
I believe Colonel de Rochas was correct when he asserted that under the compulsion of his will he sent the girl Josephine, while she was in hypnotic trance, back through the eighteen years she had lived, back through the silence and the dark ere she had been born, back to the light of a previous living when she was a bed-ridden old man, the ex-artilleryman, Jean-Claude Bourdon.. [Chapter 12]
It's why a lot of good people -- including members of my own family -- have become disgusted with the Republican party and are distressed to see it being turned over to a bunch of ignorant Jesus-shouters who are one step away from wearing brown shirts and armbands and parading their hatred and holier-than-thou platitudes in hypnotic goose-stepping rhythm down Biscayne Boulevard.. [February 2006]
The DEA says the short-term hypnotic sleep aids have a "moderate risk" of dependence and possible side effects like "impaired memory of events.". [Perchance To ... Eat?]
I believe Colonel de Rochas was correct when he asserted chat under the compulsion of his will he sent the girl Josephine, while she was in hypnotic trance, back through the eighteen years she had lived, back through the silence and the dark ere she had been born, back to the light of a previous living when she was a bed-ridden old man, the ax-artilleryman, Jean-Claude Bourdon.. [Chapter 12]
I betcha something hypnotic is happening just outside of the photo’s frame … it’s probably that lady that plays music on a saw. [PROFILE: Midtown Lunch’er “Paul” | Midtown Lunch - Finding Lunch in the Food Wasteland of NYC's Midtown Manhattan]
Liz Carroll, a renowned fiddler and All-Ireland senior champion herself (1975), recalled the hypnotic power of Mr. Hayes's fiddling in her hometown of Chicago, to which he immigrated in 1985.. [Fearlessness and Fidelity]
The so-called hypnotic test of arm raising and unbendable arm reinforces that something special is happening and that in turn excites the imagination further along with even deeper critical factor bypass.. [Life of Brian:]
The cerebrotronic machine applied the most effective and safest method for its inquiry, namely hypnotic interrogation.. [Venus in Danger]
They say it will even break a hypnotic command not to talk.. [Double Star]
My experiments have forced me to the conclusion that there is no difference as regards suggestibility between natural sleep and the so-called hypnotic trance.. [The Life Radiant]
What is called hypnotic suggestion is nothing but the artificial selection of one idea to the exclusion of all others, so that it passes into action.. [Introduction to the Science of Sociology]
The condition termed hypnotic is one of suspended consciousness, and under certain conditions can be used to advantage.. [With Sabre and Scalpel. The Autobiography of a Soldier and Surgeon]
Such are a few of my principal experiments in the mysterious force or agency known as hypnotic suggestion.. [The Collected Works of Ambrose Bierce, Volume 8 Epigrams, On With the Dance, Negligible Tales]
In that passive and impressionable condition which is called hypnotic, mesmeric, somnambulic, or somniloquent, it has long been known that the subject may be absolutely controlled by the operator, or by a simple command or suggestion, or by his own imagination.. [Buchanan's Journal of Man, June 1887 Volume 1, Number 5]
The band could be described as hypnotic folk-rock, but that does it little to no justice.. [Denver Post: News: Breaking: Local]