Imaginary Wiki - What is the imaginary?
What does the word imaginary mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word imaginary in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with imaginary and anagrams of imaginary.
Definitions of "imaginary"
- Having existence only in the imagination; unreal. adjective
- Mathematics Of or being the coefficient of the imaginary unit in a complex number. adjective
- Mathematics Of, involving, or being an imaginary number. adjective
- Mathematics Involving only a complex number of which the real part is zero. adjective
- Mathematics An imaginary number. noun
- existing only in the imagination adjective
- of a number, having no real part; that part of a complex number which is a multiple of the square root of -1. adjective
- Existing only in imagination or fancy; not real; fancied; visionary; ideal. adjective
- An imaginary expression or quantity. noun
- Existing only in imagination or fancy; due to erroneous belief or conception; not real; baseless; fancied: opposed to actual.
- In mathematics, unreal and feigned in accordance with the theory of imaginary quantities.
- Synonyms Ideal, fanciful, fancied, visionary, unreal, shadowy, Utopian. Imaginary and imaginative are never synonymous: imaginary means existing only in the imagination; imaginative means possessed of or showing an active imagination.
- In algebra, an imaginary expression or quantity. noun
- not based on fact; unreal adjective
- (mathematics) a number of the form a+bi where a and b are real numbers and i is the square root of -1 noun
The word "imaginary" in example sentences
Because Larry’s Fundy brain is so locked by his literalism he simply thinks “imaginary numbers” are *actually imaginary* ,that is to say not real, they do not exist.. [The next time ID people cry 'censorship' - The Panda's Thumb]
In fact, psychologists use the term "imaginary audience" to describe this heightened state of vigilance that is especially strong during adolescence.. [Robert Pagliarini: Get Over Yourself! Learn This Secret to Boost Your Confidence]
But on the other hand, as this warmth is felt differently by different temperaments, so what we call imaginary things affect different minds.. [On the Realities of Imagination]
I write fantasy in imaginary worlds, but my settings are historically based.. [WRITING QUESTION: RESEARCH SOURCES]
It wasn't so much fun imagining loosing her senses, and she refers to the imaginary loss of her eyesight and hearing as "harrowing.". [Actress Eva Green's Perfect Sense of Character]
Their interests by virtue of public statements and the work made collectively between 1961 and 1966 appear largely designed to dissolve what in theater is known as the imaginary "fourth wall" dividing audiences from artists.. [G. Roger Denson: You Say You Want a Revolution. Well You Know, Art Can Cure You of That]
But her reference to "these signs" -- as if placards charging individual troops with war crimes are commonplace at a "standard anti-war demonstration" -- reveals that a powerful imaginary is at work.. [Mark Engler: Spitting in the Faces of U.S. Troops]
Act in imaginary circumstances in order to learn more either about the self, or about a certain culture, or about others.. [Archive 2009-02-01]
It should be a requirement that damages be documented, not in imaginary figures but in real life dollars as to the effect that the claimed damages are to be.. [RIAA, MediaSentry: put up, or shut up]
Vacuuming and dusting and mopping up the kitchen had helped calm Alvirah, and while she was working she had put on her “thinking cap,” as she called the imaginary head covering that helped her find solutions to problems.. [I’ll Walk Alone]
All this interest in imaginary people fighting other imaginary people while their respective fans pontificate about who would win and why has already prompted one well regarded book blog to denounce the whole thing as nerdism.. [Cage Matches]
Holy Rollers Suck no matter what they call their imaginary sky fairy. [Think Progress » Santorum excuses Graham’s anti-Muslim comments, calls them ‘reasonable.’]
Mature-rated games such as "BioShock," "Fable 2" and "Fallout 3" go far beyond allowing players to engage in imaginary violent acts; they also give players meaningful consequences for the choices that they make.. [Virtual violence is free speech]
Did a data entry clerk type in imaginary information about him?. [L, t U & E]
Giles Peach, the half-merman, has the ability to distort reality, and the crazy father is given to delusions, so it's difficult to separate the imaginary from the real sometimes.. [Book Report: The Digging Leviathan, by James P. Blaylock]
The number of names to keep track of and the complex geopolitical situation, all of it imaginary, is liable to throw you for a loop.. [I'm a Santa expert!]