Independent Wiki - What is the independent?
What does the word independent mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word independent in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with independent and anagrams of independent.
Definitions of "independent"
- Not governed by a foreign power; self-governing. adjective
- Free from the influence, guidance, or control of another or others; self-reliant. adjective
- Not determined or influenced by someone or something else; not contingent. adjective
- Affiliated with or loyal to no one political party or organization. adjective
- Not dependent on or affiliated with a larger or controlling entity. adjective
- Not relying on others for support, care, or funds; self-supporting. adjective
- Providing or being sufficient income to enable one to live without working. adjective
- Not dependent on other variables. adjective
- Of or relating to a system of equations no one of which can be derived from another equation in the system. adjective
- Of or relating to the 17th-century English Independents. adjective
- One that is independent, especially a voter, officeholder, or political candidate who is not committed to a political party. noun
- A member of a movement in England in the 17th century advocating the political and religious independence of individual congregations. noun
- A Congregationalist. noun
- Not dependent; not requiring the support or not subject to the control or controlling influence of others; not relying on others for direction or guidance; not subordinate; of things, not standing in a relation of dependence to something else: used absolutely or followed by of, formerly sometimes by on: as, a person's fortunes in life are quite independent of the configuration of the planets at his nativity.
- Not due to or connected with dependence; pertaining to or permitting freedom of action; free of control or restraint: as, an independent income, estate, or position; independent action.
- Not subject to bias or influence; self-directing.
- Proceeding from or expressive of a spirit of independence; free; easy; self-confident; bold; unconstrained: as, an independent air or manner.