Index Wiki - What is the index?
What does the word index mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word index in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with index and anagrams of index.
Definitions of "index"
- Something that serves to guide, point out, or otherwise facilitate reference, especially: noun
- An alphabetized list of names, places, and subjects treated in a printed work, giving the page or pages on which each item is mentioned. noun
- A thumb index. noun
- A table, file, or catalog. noun
- Computer Science A list of keywords associated with a record or document, used especially as an aid in searching for information. noun
- Something that reveals or indicates; a sign: "Her face . . . was a fair index to her disposition” ( Samuel Butler). noun
- A character (☞) used in printing to call attention to a particular paragraph or section. Also called fist, hand. noun
- An indicator or pointer, as on a scientific instrument. noun
- Mathematics A number or symbol, often written as a subscript or superscript to a mathematical expression, that indicates an operation to be performed, an ordering relation, or a use of the associated expression. noun
- A number derived from a formula, used to characterize a set of data. noun
- A number that represents the change in price or value of an aggregate of goods, services, wages, or other measurable quantity in comparison with a reference number for a previous period of time. noun
- Roman Catholic Church A list formerly published by Church authority, restricting or forbidding the reading of certain books. noun
- To furnish with an index: index a book. verb-transitive
- To enter in an index. verb-transitive
- To indicate or signal. verb-transitive
- To adjust through indexation. verb-transitive
- An alphabetical listing of items and their location; for example, the index of a book lists words or expressions and the pages of the book upon which they are to be found. noun
- The index finger, the forefinger, or other pointer. noun
- A sign; an indication; a token. noun