Index Wiki - What is the index?
What does the word index mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word index in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with index and anagrams of index.
Definitions of "index"
- Something that serves to guide, point out, or otherwise facilitate reference, especially. noun
- An alphabetized list of names, places, and subjects treated in a printed work, giving the page or pages on which each item is mentioned. noun
- A thumb index. noun
- A table, file, or catalog. noun
- A list of keywords associated with a record or document, used especially as an aid in searching for information. noun
- Something that reveals or indicates; a sign. noun
- A character (☞) used in printing to call attention to a particular paragraph or section. noun
- An indicator or pointer, as on a scientific instrument. noun
- A number or symbol, often written as a subscript or superscript to a mathematical expression, that indicates an operation to be performed, an ordering relation, or a use of the associated expression. noun
- A number derived from a formula, used to characterize a set of data. noun
- A statistical value that represents the price or value of an aggregate of goods, services, wages, or other measurable quantities in comparison with a reference number for a previous period of time. noun
- A number that represents the change in price or value of stocks or other securities in a particular market, sector, or asset class. noun
- The stocks or other securities represented by an index. noun
- A list formerly published by Church authority, restricting or forbidding the reading of certain books. noun
- transitive verb
- To furnish with an index. transitive verb
- To enter in an index. transitive verb