Infinite Wiki - What is the infinite?
What does the word infinite mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word infinite in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with infinite and anagrams of infinite.
Definitions of "infinite"
- Having no boundaries or limits. adjective
- Immeasurably great or large; boundless: infinite patience; a discovery of infinite importance. adjective
- Mathematics Existing beyond or being greater than any arbitrarily large value. adjective
- Mathematics Unlimited in spatial extent: a line of infinite length. adjective
- Mathematics Of or relating to a set capable of being put into one-to-one correspondence with a proper subset of itself. adjective
- Something infinite. noun
- Having infinitely many elements. adjective
- Infinitely many. noun
- Unlimited or boundless, in time or space. adjective
- Without limit in power, capacity, knowledge, or excellence; boundless; immeasurably or inconceivably great; perfect; ; -- opposed to
- Indefinitely large or extensive; great; vast; immense; gigantic; prodigious. adjective
- Greater than any assignable quantity of the same kind; -- said of certain quantities. adjective
- Capable of endless repetition; -- said of certain forms of the canon, called also perpetual fugues, so constructed that their ends lead to their beginnings, and the performance may be incessantly repeated. adjective
- That which is infinite; boundless space or duration; infinity; boundlessness. noun
- An infinite quantity or magnitude. noun
- An infinity; an incalculable or very great number. noun
- The Infinite Being; God; the Almighty. noun
- Immeasurably or innumerably great; so great as to be absolutely incapable of being measured or counted.
- All-embracing; lacking nothing; the greatest possible; perfect; absolute: applied only to Divinity.
The word "infinite" in example sentences
Although _Philosophers_ say, _No Number is infinite, because it can be numbred_; for _infinite_ is a quantity that cannot be taken or assigned, but there is (_infinitum quoad hos_) as they term it, that is _infinite_ in respect of our apprehension:. [Tintinnalogia, or, the Art of Ringing Wherein is laid down plain and easie Rules for Ringing all sorts of Plain Changes]
When he explains that it is infinite and omnipresent, like poor Paddy's famed ale, the explanation 'thickens as it clears;' for being ourselves _finite_, and necessarily present on one small spot of our very small planet, the words _infinite_ and _omnipresent_ do not suggest to us either positive or practical ideas -- of course, therefore, we have neither positive nor practical ideas of an infinite and omnipresent Being.. [An Apology for Atheism Addressed to Religious Investigators of Every Denomination by One of Its Apostles]
There must then be obedience to an infinite law, or _infinite_ punishment for transgression.. [The Way of Salvation in the Lutheran Church]
˜infinite™ and then indicating the different senses it can have depending on where it occurs in a proposition, he treats the infinite itself as a term.. [Albert of Saxony]
˜infinite™ is used categorematically, for in that case its signification is “Things that are infinite are finite.”. [Sophismata]
Without such an ultimate and immediate signification instantiated in the formal signification of the mental concept, there would be, as John Raulin remarks, an infinite regress (processus in infinitum) in any signification, something like a Peircean ˜infinite semeiosis™. [. [Medieval Semiotics]
That's the kind of, oh, let's call it infinite diversity in infinite combination, that I've always loved about our genre.. [Archive 2008-08-01]
But Pentagon say and Defense Secretary Rumsfeld said that may get a reworking because some Muslim groups have said that the term infinite justice could be offensive to Muslims because in their religion, only Allah can dispense ultimate or infinite justice -- Wolf.. [CNN Transcript Sep 20, 2001]
The fact that, by the law of the series or of the process, _we_ may continue the operation _as long as we please_, does not justify the application of the term infinite to the operation itself; if any thing is infinite, it is the will which continues the operation, which is absurd if said of human wills.. [Christianity and Greek Philosophy or, the relation between spontaneous and reflective thought in Greece and the positive teaching of Christ and His Apostles]
The president expressed what he called his infinite gratitude to those who chose him as their president.. [Ivory Coast President Ouattara Formally Inaugurated]
I understand that Ranger2 thinks his view of the infinite is the sole acceptable worldview but in the grand scheme of things my own position is just as valid and likely closer to the actual teachings of the great Rabbi Yeshua than the intolerance espoused by rabbitpolice.. [On Same-Sex Couples and Catfish Derbies]
He distrusted a process that produced what he called infinite children without differentiation between original and copy.. [Steve Leveen: E-books: What Would da Vinci Say? Ross King's New Reading]
Solger's version of irony Hegel accepted as a phase of his own famous dialectic, though it was only one phase: “that transition point which I call the infinite absolute negativity.”. [IRONY]
Quantity, as in 'infinite', or vastly enlarged, does not allow for quality standards to be maintained, or even established in the first instance.. [Cream of the Crop, Bryan Caplan | EconLog | Library of Economics and Liberty]
This is, after all, a sudden but gathering glimpse of the infinite from a desolate hillside, not a Sunday picnic.. [The Raptures of a Tragic Visionary]
To dance is to mean what you say, to feel what you are as it connects from body to body throughout time, even bodies of water, even bodies of stars, even bodies of dreaming dreamers in infinite space, even bodies of text.. [Unseen (a Five-Pointed Star with Four Streaming Lights)]