Initial Wiki - What is the initial?
In a written or published work, an initial or drop cap is a letter at the beginning of a word, a chapter, or a paragraph that is larger than the rest of the text. The word is derived from the Latin initialis, which means standing at the beginning. An initial is often several lines in height and in older books or manuscripts, sometimes ornately decorated. In illuminated manuscripts, initials with images inside them, such as those illustrated here, are known as historiated initials. They were an invention of the Insular art of the British Isles in the eighth century. Initials containing, typically, plant-form spirals with small figures of animals or humans that do not represent a specific person or scene are known as "inhabited" initials. Certain important initials, such as the Beatus initial or "B" of Beatus vir... at the opening of Psalm 1 at the start of a vulgate Latin psalter, could occupy a whole page of a manuscript. These specific initials, in an illuminated manuscript, also were called Initiums..
What does the word initial mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word initial in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with initial and anagrams of initial.
Definitions of "initial"
- Of, relating to, or occurring at the beginning; first: took the initial step toward peace. adjective
- Designating the first letter or letters of a word. adjective
- The first letter of a proper name. noun
- The first letter of each word of a person's full name considered as a unit: stationery monogrammed with her initials. noun
- The first letter of a word. noun
- A large, often highly decorated letter set at the beginning of a chapter, verse, or paragraph. noun
- To mark or sign with initials, especially for purposes of authorization or approval. verb-transitive
- Chronologically first, early; of or pertaining to the beginning, cause or origin adjective
- Spatially first, placed at the beginning, in the first position; especially said of the first letter of a word adjective
- The first letter of a word or a name. noun
- In plural, the first letter of each word of a person's full name considered as a unit noun
- A distinguished initial letter of a chapter or section of a document. noun
- onset, part of a syllable that precedes the syllable nucleus in phonetics and phonology. noun
- To sign one's initial(s), as an abbreviated signature. verb
- Of or pertaining to the beginning; marking the commencement; incipient; commencing. adjective
- Placed at the beginning; standing at the head, as of a list or series. adjective
- The first letter of a word or a name. noun
- To put an initial to; to mark with an initial of initials. verb-transitive
- Of or pertaining to the beginning; incipient: as, the initial step in a proceeding.
The word "initial" in example sentences
Investigators say they met with Shawn over the weekend in what they term initial talks, adding, the tough questions and complete debrief are still down the road.. [CNN Transcript Jan 15, 2007]
Investigator say, they met with Shawn over the weekend in what they termed initial talks, adding, the tough questions and complete debrief are still down the road.. [CNN Transcript Jan 15, 2007]
In addition, FEMA is sending what it calls initial response kits.. [CNN Transcript Aug 14, 2004]
We may add that some have claimed to find the cross on Grecian monuments in the letter (chi), which, sometimes in conjunction with (rho), represented on coins the initial letters of the Greek word chrysoun, "gold", or other words indicative of the value of the coin, or the name of the coiner. [The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume 4: Clandestinity-Diocesan Chancery]
The FDA's alert is what they call their initial communication.. [ABC 4: Top Stories]
GHL ACQUISITION CORP. is a newly formed blank check company organized for the purpose of effecting a merger capital stock exchange asset acquisition stock purchase reorganization or other similar business combination with one or more businesses or assets which they refer to as their initial business combination.. [GuruFocus Updates -]
Johnny Ive may have had a part in initial conception or throwing out ideas, but I'm certain he didn't do the actual designing. dcfemella. [Toy Story 3 Trailer Easter Eggs Revealed | /Film]
Economists expect private payrolls will increase by 85,000, a modest improvement from August's 67,000, as a decrease in initial jobless claims has suggested better labor-market conditions.. [Treasury Investors Are on Alert for 'Easing']
A recent decrease in initial jobless claims has suggested better labor-market conditions.. [Central Bank Actions Color Currency Outlook]
The Denver-based Charter School Growth Fund, a nonprofit venture capital fund, recently announced it had secured $80 million in initial commitments with big donations coming from among others the Walton Family Foundation.. [Alan Singer: No Longer Waiting for "Superman"]
Tuesday, August 5, 2003 16: 59 (GMT-0400) (BNamericas. com) Mexico's Jalisco state waterworks authority Ceas expects to begin initial works on the six-year Arcediano dam project in October, El Informador quoted Ceas sources as saying.. [Water in Chapala]
Perhaps not in initial deed, but she was to blame for stopping her struggle.. [non-con. « Love | Peace | Ohana]
The Chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, is calling the initial phase of a multi-national effort to take control of Libyan airspace a success.. [US Says International Forces Control Skies Over Libya]
U.S. investors in initial public offerings who want something closer to home, take heart: There is a company going public this week that should do well, and it isn't based in China.. [An IPO Closer to Home]
Just the day before though, we saw another uptick in initial claims for unemployment, showing the job market is still very slow to recover.. [Obama Starts Stumping for Midterms]
The reality is that aerospace giants such as Lockheed Martin, Boeing and their joint venture United Launch Alliance are more likely to win initial NASA contracts for commercial crew transportation.. [Launch could be first test of rocket and Obama space plan]
Initial TranslatesInitial English to Turkish Translate
s., i., f. (-ed,- ing veya- led,- ling) baştaki, birinci, evvelki; i. kelimenin ilk harfi; kıta başındaki büyük harf; f. kısa imza atmak. Initial Teachlng Alphabet okumayı öğrenmek için İngilizce bir fonetik alfabe. initially z. başlangıçta, evvela.s., i., f. (-ed,- ing veya- led,- ling) baştaki, birinci, evvelki; i. kelimenin ilk harfi; kıta başındaki büyük harf; f. kısa imza atmak. Initial Teachlng Alphabet okumayı öğrenmek için İngilizce bir fonetik alfabe. initially z. başlangıçta, evvela.