Juggernaut Wiki - What is the juggernaut?
A juggernaut ( (listen)), in current English usage, is a literal or metaphorical force regarded as mercilessly destructive and unstoppable. This usage originated in the mid ninetheenth century .
What does the word juggernaut mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word juggernaut in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with juggernaut and anagrams of juggernaut.
Definitions of "juggernaut"
- Something, such as a belief or institution, that elicits blind and destructive devotion or to which people are ruthlessly sacrificed. noun
- An overwhelming, advancing force that crushes or seems to crush everything in its path: "It doesn't assume that people need necessarily remain passive when confronted by what appears to be the juggernaut of history” ( Christopher Lehmann-Haupt). noun
- Used as a title for the Hindu deity Krishna. noun
- A literal or metaphorical force or object regarded as unstoppable, that will crush all in its path. noun
- A large, cumbersome truck or lorry, especially an artic (typically used somewhat disparagingly). noun
- An institution that incites destructive devotion or to which people are carelessly sacrificed. noun
- One of the names under which Vishnu, in his incarnation as Krishna, is worshiped by the Hindus. See also jagannath. noun
- Any large, unstoppable force, power, or popular movement which defeats or destroys any person who gets in its way or attempts to stop it. noun
- To crush as if by Juggernaut.
- The popular form of Jagannatha, the name of the famous Hindu idol. See Jagannatha, 2. noun
- Figuratively, something, as an idea, custom, fashion, requirement, etc., to which one either devotes himself or is blindly sacrificed. noun
- a massive inexorable force that seems to crush everything in its way noun
- a crude idol of Krishna noun
- an avatar of Vishnu noun
The word "juggernaut" in example sentences
One example is the word "juggernaut," defined as a "massive inexorable force, campaign, movement, or object that crushes whatever is in its path.". [USATODAY.com News]
Twenty years ago, Japan was synonymous with the phrase "juggernaut.". [Yahoo! News: Business - Opinion]
The juggernaut is pro-reform and is getting to the point where it doesn't much care if it has to roll right over the GOP to get there.. [GOP senator warns of 'minor revolution' over health care]
In Soccer, It's Manchester Divided The latest soccer news and scores The man charged with turning City into a soccer juggernaut is Roberto Mancini, who replaced previous boss Mark Hughes in December.. [Another Step for Soccer's New New Money]
The UConn juggernaut is steaming toward its sixth women's national title in 15 years, blitzing five NCAA tournament opponents by an average of almost 26 points en route to tonight's final against seemingly overmatched Louisville.. [Safe bets shared stage with surprises during college hoops season]
White talked with TVGuide.com about which player she calls the "juggernaut of power," who made her want to slit her wrists and why she hated the physical challenges so much.. [Survivor's Sarita: David is "Such a Loose Cannon"]
ROBERT PATTINSON: THE BOY IN THE BUBBLE? www. nzherald.co.nz: The Twilight juggernaut is propelling the 23-year-old British actor to the heights of mega stardom and, having previously only played minor roles, most notably as Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, he is making the most of it.. [TWILIGHT SAGA NEWS FOR OCTOBER 27TH | Open Society Book Club Discussions and Reviews]
The Oprah juggernaut is a scary thing to witness as it rolls over facts and promotes misinformation.. [Oprah - I'm not a doctor, but I play a really bad one on TV]
As you might expect from the Lucas, the marketing juggernaut is out in full force with both a novelization and comic adaptation of the game.. [REVIEW: The Force Unleashed (Graphic Novel) by Haden Blackman, Brian Ching]
At long last, the conservative juggernaut is cracking up.. [How I saved the iPhone, and Christmas]
Via GalleyCat we learn that the Michael Chabon juggernaut is not unstoppable.. [Shirley Jackson Awards Final Ballot]
Leading this newly found juggernaut is the bike riding connoisseur of fine wine, Joe Maddon.. [Magical season keeps getting better in Tampa Bay]
Seems to me that winning the Democratic nomination over the well-financed and seemingly inevitable Clinton juggernaut is a fairly impressive achievement, no?. [Discourse.net: Friday McBush Bashing (Olympic Edition)]
What adds a peculiar dynamic to this anti-gay juggernaut is the continued emergence of gay people within its ranks.. [May 2005]
Rich nails just how gay the right wing is: What adds a peculiar dynamic to this anti-gay juggernaut is the continued emergence of gay people within its ranks.. [05/15/2005]
Even though he can recogize that the juggernaut is sinking, he is too stupid to jump off.. [Think Progress » Phase II Report Being Stonewalled, Senators Charge]
Juggernaut TranslatesJuggernaut English to Turkish Translate
i. bir Hint mabudunun ismi; eskiden tekerleklerinin altına atılarak insanların kendilerini ezdirdiği bu mabudun heykeli; insanın kendisini körü körüne feda etmesini gerektiren inanç.i. bir Hint mabudunun ismi; eskiden tekerleklerinin altına atılarak insanların kendilerini ezdirdiği bu mabudun heykeli; insanın kendisini körü körüne feda etmesini gerektiren inanç.