Language Wiki - What is the language?
What does the word language mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word language in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with language and anagrams of language.
Definitions of "language"
- Communication of thoughts and feelings through a system of arbitrary signals, such as voice sounds, gestures, or written symbols. noun
- Such a system including its rules for combining its components, such as words. noun
- Such a system as used by a nation, people, or other distinct community; often contrasted with dialect. noun
- A system of signs, symbols, gestures, or rules used in communicating. noun
- A system of symbols and rules used for communication with or between computers. noun
- Body language; kinesics. noun
- The special vocabulary and usages of a scientific, professional, or other group. noun
- A characteristic style of speech or writing. noun
- A particular manner of expression. noun
- The manner or means of communication between living creatures other than humans. noun
- Verbal communication as a subject of study. noun
- The wording of a legal document or statute as distinct from the spirit. noun
- In organ-building, the horizontal shelf or partition of wood or metal opposite and below the mouth of a flue-pipe, by which the wind is obliged to pass through a narrow slit between it and the lower lip and to impinge upon the edge of the upper lip. The front edge of the language is usually serrated. See
pipe. Also called languid. noun
- The whole body of uttered signs employed and understood by a given community as expression of its thoughts; the aggregate of words, and of methods of their combination into sentences, used in a community for communication and record and for carrying on the processes of thought: as, the English language; the Greek language. noun
- Power of expression by utterance; the capacities and impulses that lead to the production and use of languages; uttered expression; human speech considered as a whole: as, language is the peculiar possession of man. noun
- The words or expressions appropriate to or especially employed in any branch of knowledge or particular condition of life: as, the language of chemistry; the language of common life. noun
- The manner of expression, either by speech or writing; style. noun