Magnetic Wiki - What is the magnetic?
What does the word magnetic mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word magnetic in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with magnetic and anagrams of magnetic.
Definitions of "magnetic"
- Of or relating to magnetism or magnets. adjective
- Having the properties of a magnet. adjective
- Capable of being magnetized or attracted by a magnet. adjective
- Operating by means of magnetism: a magnetic recorder. adjective
- Relating to the magnetic poles of the earth: a magnetic compass bearing. adjective
- Having an unusual power or ability to attract: a magnetic personality. adjective
- of, relating to, operating by, or caused by magnetism adjective
- having the properties of a magnet, especially the ability to draw or pull adjective
- determined by earth's magnetic fields adjective
- having an extraordinary ability to attract adjective
- Pertaining to the magnet; possessing the properties of the magnet, or corresponding properties adjective
- Of or pertaining to, or characterized by, the earth's magnetism adjective
- Capable of becoming a magnet; susceptible to magnetism. adjective
- Endowed with extraordinary personal power to excite the feelings and to win the affections; attractive; inducing attachment. adjective
- Having, susceptible to, or induced by, animal magnetism, so called; hypnotic. See Magnetism. adjective
- A magnet. noun
- Any metal, as iron, nickel, cobalt, etc., which may receive, by any means, the properties of the loadstone, and which then, when suspended, fixes itself in the direction of a magnetic meridian. noun
- Pertaining to the magnet or to magnetism; possessing the properties of the magnet: as, a magnetic bar of iron; a magnetic needle.
- Pertaining to the earth's magnetism: as, the magnetic north; the magnetic meridian. See phrases below.
The word "magnetic" in example sentences
Asylmuratova is one of those rare artists who exemplify the term magnetic.. [The artist's artist: ballerinas]
Perhaps the most popularly known fact about sun-spots is that they are somehow connected with what we call magnetic storms on earth.. [The Outline of Science, Vol. 1 (of 4) A Plain Story Simply Told]
As the invisible electrons pass along a wire they produce what we call a magnetic field around the wire, they produce a disturbance in the surrounding ether.. [The Outline of Science, Vol. 1 (of 4) A Plain Story Simply Told]
Now, the man you meet and whom you would not hesitate a moment to ask a favor of, is what I call a magnetic man.. [The Works of Robert G. Ingersoll, Volume VIII. Interviews]
Your relay has to be what we call a magnetic starter.. [CR4 - Recent Forum Threads and Blog Entries]
He claimed he could cure cancer with what he described as magnetic field vibrations and a "rife generator," for which he charged as much as $11,350 for treatment, police said.. [Latest News - UPI.com]
There are therefore three "gradations" in magnetic sleep as described in the 1813 Ages: a simplification of the six stages outlined in C.A.F. Klüge's 1811 textbook on the subject, which culminate in "Universal Clarity" or the "removal of veils of time and space," such that "the subject perceives things hidden in the past [and] future". ['The Abyss of the Past': Psychoanalysis in Schelling's Ages of the World (1815)]
It will also birth a new industry in magnetic weather modification.. [Pruned]
Tons of paperclips in magnetic holders, post-it notes and separate containers for pens and pencils finish out that section.. [What's on Your Desk?]
[AF] – And so, I found that this dependence can be very strong if one dopes some materials with impurity, for example, and so I propose also what is called now the two current model of the conduction in magnetic materials.. [Albert Fert - Interview]
Improvements in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) have led to increased detection of minor brain abnormalities that may worry the patient, but often will never cause any problems, according to study findings reported in The New England Journal of Medicine.. [Brain Imaging Seen Leading to More False Alarms | Impact Lab]
A special type of MRI is called magnetic resonance angiography MRA and is less invasive than traditional angioplasties.. [The 10 Best Questions™ for Recovering from a Heart Attack]
If this radiation is sufficiently strong the person is called magnetic; he is said to be filled with personal magnetism.. [The Master Key System]
The innovations in magnetic recording for broadcast introduced by the struggling ABC were a major step forward, enabling the modern recording industry and even modern computer technology.. [RIAA, MPAA, penetrate Internet2]
Dr Baker said the sun appeared to follow a longer-term magnetic cycle of about 80 years, meaning it might be possible to predict floods and droughts for the next 30 years based on historical records from the mid-1920s.. [Unthreaded #7 « Climate Audit]
I felt during the initial meeting a month ago that there was a certain magnetic bond between these two people. .... [USATODAY.com - K. Brown glad to close book on Wizards]