Malignant Wiki - What is the malignant?
What does the word malignant mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word malignant in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with malignant and anagrams of malignant.
Definitions of "malignant"
- Showing great malevolence; disposed to do evil. adjective
- Highly injurious; pernicious. adjective
- Pathology Threatening to life; virulent: a malignant disease. adjective
- Pathology Tending to metastasize; cancerous. Used of a tumor. adjective
- Harmful, malevolent, injurious. adjective
- Harmfully cancerous; as a malignant tumor. adjective
- Disposed to do harm, inflict suffering, or cause distress; actuated by extreme malevolence or enmity; virulently inimical; bent on evil; malicious. adjective
- Characterized or caused by evil intentions; pernicious. adjective
- Tending to produce death; threatening a fatal issue; virulent. adjective
- A man of extreme enmity or evil intentions. noun
- One of the adherents of Charles I. or Charles II.; -- so called by the opposite party. noun
- Disposed to inflict suffering or cause distress; having extreme malevolence or enmity; virulently hostile; malicious: as, a malignant heart.
- Virulently harmful or mischievous; threatening great danger; pernicious in influence or effect.
- In astrology, threatening to fortune or life; fateful: as, the malignant aspect of the stars.
- In pathology, virulent; tending; to produce death; threatening a fatal issue: as, a malignant ulcer; a malignant fever; malignant pustule or scarlet fever.
- Extremely heinous: as, the malignant nature of sin.
- Synonyms Malevolent, bitter, rancorous, spiteful, malign. See animosity.
- A person of extreme enmity or evil intentions; an ill-affected person. noun
The word "malignant" in example sentences
_malignant_ and _poisonous_ affections, as scirrhus and other varieties of cancer, and also cases of infectious virus, demand continually, or with but occasional exceptions, the primary galvanic current A B. ☞ In treating these malignant affections, the current should be run through as short a distance of _healthy_ tissue as possible, yet so as fairly to reach the diseased part.. [A Newly Discovered System of Electrical Medication]
The term malignant is used in describing cancerous tumors (see cancer) because such growths are a threat to the health of the individual.. [malignant]
Congressman Foley is the poster child for what we call malignant narcissism.. [CNN Transcript Oct 4, 2006]
Sure, there was that initial rush of anxiety at hearing the word "malignant" for the first time, but it was already disappearing by the time I got off the phone with the surgeon.. [msnbc.com: Top msnbc.com headlines]
APL is characterized by the malignant proliferation of these immature promyelocytes.. [The Emperor of All Maladies]
This trial was the first to report a survival advantage from chemotherapy in malignant pleural mesothelioma showing a statistically significant improvement in median survival from 10 months in the patients treated with cisplatin alone to 13.3 months in the combination pemetrexed group in patients who received supplementation with folate and vitamin B12.. [Balkinization]
We wish the name malignant were obsolete and antiquate, if so be the thing itself, which is such a root of bitterness, were extirpated out of the church.. [The Works of the Rev. Hugh Binning]
However, they do nothing to block long-wave ultraviolet radiation which is the major cause of a skin cancer, known as malignant melanoma.. [Samuel S. Epstein: How to Sunbathe Safely]
Apart from increased risks of sunburn, AHAs also increase risks of a dangerous skin cancer, known as malignant melanoma.. [Samuel S. Epstein: Anti-Aging and Anti-Wrinkling Skin Care Products: Cosmeceuticals]
SANJAY GUPTA, CNN CHIEF MEDICAL CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): Senator Ted Kennedy learned his diagnosis in May 2008, a brain tumor called a malignant glioma.. [CNN Transcript Aug 26, 2009]
One potential concern is a serious infection called malignant otitis externa, caused when an ear infection spreads to the base of the skull.. [Unseen Hearing Aid Sounds Good to Some]
SANJAY GUPTA, CNN CHIEF MEDICAL CORRESPONDENT: Yes, this type of tumor is called a malignant glioma.. [CNN Transcript Aug 26, 2009]
But what they found was that this is, in fact, a malignant tumor which is, again, benign, malignant, which is -- again, there are benign tumors.. [CNN Transcript May 20, 2008]
Now here's a look at what Kennedy is facing in your "AM Extra": Senator Kennedy's tumor is called a malignant bioma.. [CNN Transcript May 21, 2008]
Kennedy's type of cancer, known as a malignant glioma, is the most common kind of brain tumor in his age group.. [Of Natural Causes]
Dr. Patrick Wen, clinical director for neuro-oncology at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, called a malignant glioma, in general, "a really serious tumor," usually Grade 3 or 4 on a scale where 4 is most severe.. [Of Natural Causes]