Mango Wiki - What is the mango?
Mangoes are juicy stone fruit (drupe) from numerous species of tropical trees belonging to the flowering plant genus Mangifera, cultivated mostly for their edible fruit. The majority of these species are found in nature as wild mangoes. The genus belongs to the cashew family Anacardiaceae. Mangoes are native to South Asia, from where the "common mango" or "Indian mango", Mangifera indica, has been distributed worldwide to become one of the most widely cultivated fruits in the tropics. Other Mangifera species (e.g. horse mango, Mangifera foetida) are grown on a more localized basis. It is the national fruit of India and Pakistan, and the national tree of Bangladesh. It is the unofficial national fruit Philippines..
What does the word mango mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word mango in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with mango and anagrams of mango.
Definitions of "mango"
- A tropical Asian evergreen tree (Mangifera indica) cultivated for its edible fruit. noun
- The ovoid fruit of this tree, having a smooth rind, sweet juicy flesh, and a flat one-seeded stone. It is eaten ripe or pickled when green. noun
- Any of various types of pickle, especially a pickled stuffed sweet pepper. noun
- A tropical Asian fruit tree, Mangifera indica. noun
- The fruit of the mango tree. noun
- A pickled vegetable or fruit with a spicy stuffing; a vegetable or fruit which has been mangoed. noun
- A green bell pepper suitable for pickling. noun
- A type of muskmelon, Cucumis melo. noun
- Any of various hummingbirds of the genus Anthracothorax. (Also often capitalized: Mango) noun
- To stuff and pickle (a fruit). verb
- The fruit of the mango tree. It is rather larger than an apple, and of an ovoid shape. Some varieties are fleshy and luscious, and others tough and tasting of turpentine. The green fruit is pickled for market. noun
- A green muskmelon stuffed and pickled. noun
- The luscious, slightly acid fruit of the mango-tree, in shape and appearance somewhat resembling the plantain. See Mangifera. noun
- The tree that produces mangos. noun
- A small green melon pickled in imitation of pickled mangos. noun
- A certain humming-bird, Lampornis mango. noun
- large oval tropical fruit having smooth skin, juicy aromatic pulp, and a large hairy seed noun
- large evergreen tropical tree cultivated for its large oval fruit noun
The word "mango" in example sentences
The word mango is an adaptation of the Tamil name for the fruit, mang-kay.. [Mexican mangos: fantastic flavor, big business]
And have you pointed out the various difficulties that others have had in mango cultivation, and why you are so superior in your mango growing?. [Bend Over, Revise, and Resubmit]
Use: The mango is a member of the cashew (sumac) family.. [Crossandra, mango and jellybean plant: ornamental plants and flowers of tropical Mexico]
Red snapper in mango sauce: Huachinango en salsa de mango. [Back to Baja: Some favorite dishes get a makeover]
A fish filet in mango sauce or a ceviche with tamarind sauce is easy to find, refreshing and delicious.. [Back to Baja: Some favorite dishes get a makeover]
The Rooibos Evening was a welcome fruitish experience, and the Rooibos Mango was again mango-y.. [2010 May | Tea Derivations]
With the proper technique, cutting up mango is easy.. [Recipes for Mango and Feta Salad & Pan-Fried Scallops with Mango Salsa (Μάνγκο και Φέτα Σαλάτα & Χτένια με Μάνγκο Σάλτσα)]
A lot of times I go the lazy way and use bottled juice (mango is one of my favorites).. [smoothies, shakes, aguas frescas, etc]
Memories of a childhood spent in mango orchards, the first dessert that you and your sweetheart ate from the same dish, the festive lunch made by a favorite aunt five years ago that you can still taste in your mind, the first time you encountered some exotic cuisine … all these are human interest stories that make a recipe very special.. [Archive 2008-01-01]
The amusement was one of patience: the kids would take a mango from the Jac tree in Obama's yard and set a string trap with the sweet fruit for the dragonflies haunting the neighborhood.. [Obama’s Temper - Swampland - TIME.com]
While the ripe mango is wonderful to eat as a fruit or incorporate into creamy desserts and smoothies, the raw mango is used extensively as a vegetable/accompaniment in everyday cooking.. [Archive 2007-05-01]
Perhaps the country's most beloved fruit, which arrived from South Asia and found an enormous welcome in Mexico, mango is used in salsas, savory sauces for fish and poultry, and an endless variety of drinks and desserts.. [Exotic summer refreshment: a guide to Mexico's tropical fruit]
The raw mango is my addition and not a standard thing.. [Curd Rice Bangalore Style]
Boil the mixture and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the mango is soft and falling apart and the jaggery has fully dissolved.. [Archive 2006-03-01]
The Daily Planet episode showed that the mango originated in Africa, and was taken before 4BC to the Indian sub-continent and then, when the Portuguese controlled both Africa and parts of southern India like Goa, re-exported other evolved genres of the original mango-named from a Tamil word mangkay-back into East Africa.. [Caribbean Net News Daily Headlines]
In Haiti, the mango is a symbol of both the country's potential, and its dysfunction.. [Mangoes Could Boost Haiti Industry; Bush Visits Mango Warehouse]
Mango TranslatesMango English to Turkish Translate
i. (çoğ. es veya s) Hindistan'a mahsus yumurta şeklinde ve sarımsı bir meyva, Hint kirazı, .mango, bot Mangifera indica.i. (çoğ. es veya s) Hindistan'a mahsus yumurta şeklinde ve sarımsı bir meyva, Hint kirazı, .mango, bot Mangifera indica.