Masculine Wiki - What is the masculine?
Masculinity (also called manhood or manliness) is a set of attributes, behaviors, and roles associated with boys and men. As a social construct, it is distinct from the definition of the male biological sex. Standards of manliness or masculinity vary across different cultures and historical periods. Both males and females can exhibit masculine traits and behavior.Traits traditionally viewed as masculine in Western society include strength, courage, independence, violence, and assertiveness. Machismo is a form of masculinity that emphasizes power and is often associated with a disregard for consequences and responsibility. Virility (from the Latin vir, "man") is similar to masculinity, but especially emphasizes strength, energy, and sex drive..
What does the word masculine mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word masculine in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with masculine and anagrams of masculine.
Definitions of "masculine"
- Of or relating to men or boys; male. adjective
- Suggestive or characteristic of a man; mannish. See Synonyms at male. adjective
- Grammar Relating or belonging to the gender of words or forms that refer chiefly to males or to things grammatically classified as male. adjective
- Music Ending on an accented beat: a masculine cadence. adjective
- Grammar The masculine gender. noun
- Grammar A word or word form of the masculine gender. noun
- A male person. noun
- pertaining to male humans, men: adjective
- in many inflected languages: adjective
- The masculine gender. noun
- That which is masculine. noun
- A man. noun
- Of the male sex; not female. adjective
- Having the qualities of a man; suitable to, or characteristic of, a man; virile; not feminine or effeminate; strong; robust. adjective
- Belonging to males; appropriated to, or used by, males. adjective
- Having the inflections of, or construed with, words pertaining especially to male beings, as distinguished from
feminineand neuter. See Gender. adjective
- Male: opposed to female.
- Having the distinguishing characteristics of the male sex among human beings, physical or mental; pertaining to a man or to men; of manlike quality: opposed to feminine: as, the masculine element of society; masculine spirit or courage.
- As applied derogatively to women, unwomanly; bold; forward: as, her manners are coarse and masculine; she has a masculine air or stride.
The word "masculine" in example sentences
So does “Madame Justice” work like a double negative and make the term masculine?. [The Volokh Conspiracy » Madame Justice]
Her chin was strong, and the total of her face what we call masculine; but when she silently regarded her child, it grew beautiful with the radiant tenderness of protection.. [There & Back]
The UAE government has launched a campaign against what it describes as masculine behaviour among women.. [AfterEllen.com - Because visibility matters]
It seems to me that defining assertive behavior as "masculine" is one of the factors that works against women's career advancement (but that's a different post).. [Archive 2007-05-01]
That was the genitive singular ending on what are called masculine strong nouns.. [The English Is Coming!]
Another: The aged masculine is marked down to an even some-more pitiable figure, even by a son who loves him.. [Archive 2009-11-01]
The GodMen, a group striving to make religion more masculine, is doing its best to fight the religious gender gap.. [Fighting the Religious Gender Gap, Bryan Caplan | EconLog | Library of Economics and Liberty]
The stores are characterized by masculine touches such as darker, natural wood floors, brown leather club chairs and industrial-inspired furnishings.. [Bagging a New Style of Customer]
It is certainly true that designs are for masculine from the waist down and feminine for the waist up.. [Blue Dress Painting]
That's kind of awesome, and the image of her becoming all muscle bound and masculine is going to fuel many of my transgender fantasies, I think.. [Day in the Life of an Idiot]
While trans men experience cissexism, their desire to be male/masculine is typically not mocked or derided in the same way — to do so would bring maleness/masculinity itself into question.. [Rethinking Sexism: How Trans Women Challenge Feminism]
She often referred to her masculine traits and her “mannish” looks.. [Louisa May Alcott]
These twin forces we call masculine and feminine energy.. [Leo Lunar Eclipse 2009]
And I use the word masculine in a universalist way.. ["Why is Obama so vapid and hesitant and gutless? Why, to put it another way, does he risk going into political history as a dusky Dukakis?"]
It behoveth thee to offer thy daughter to my son without marriage settlement; or if one need be, it should represent a mere nominal value by way of show to the world: for thou knowest that the masculine is worthier than the feminine, and my son is a male and our memory will be preserved by him, not by thy daughter.. [The Book of The Thousand Nights And A Night]
She was flabbergasted, like no doubt some other people are when they come across Heidi Klum being called masculine, which is likely not at a whole lot of places apart from this site.. [Weekend Reading (and Writing)]
Masculine TranslatesMasculine English to Turkish Translate
s., i. erkeğe ait; erkeğe mahsus; erkeksi, erkek gibi (kadm); gram eril; i. erkek; gram eril cins; gram eril kelime. masculin'ity i. erkeklik.s., i. erkeğe ait; erkeğe mahsus; erkeksi, erkek gibi (kadm); gram eril; i. erkek; gram eril cins; gram eril kelime. masculin'ity i. erkeklik.