Membrane Wiki - What is the membrane?
What does the word membrane mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word membrane in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with membrane and anagrams of membrane.
Definitions of "membrane"
- A thin, pliable layer of tissue covering surfaces or separating or connecting regions, structures, or organs of a living organism. noun
- A semipermeable layer that bounds a cell or an organelle, typically consisting of lipids and proteins. noun
- A thin, pliable sheet or layer of natural or synthetic material. noun
- A piece of parchment. noun
- A thin sheet of natural or synthetic material that is permeable to substances in solution. noun
- A thin pliable expansive structure of the body; an expansion of any soft tissue or part in the form of a sheet or layer, investing or lining some other structure or connecting two or more structures. noun
- In entomology, specifically, the membranous terminal part of a hemielytrum; the membrane of the fore wing of a hemipter. See cut under
- A skin prepared for being written on. noun
- A thin layer or fold of tissue, usually supported by a fibrous network, serving to cover or line some part or organ, and often secreting or absorbing certain fluids. noun
- a membrane connecting parts not usually connected, or of a different texture from the ordinary connection; as, the membrane of a cicatrix. noun
- See under
- the membranes lining passages and cavities which communicate with the exterior, as well as ducts and receptacles of secretion, and habitually secreting mucus. noun
- , the membranes, like the peritoneum and pleura, which line, or lie in, cavities having no obvious outlet, and secrete a serous fluid. noun
- A flexible enclosing or separating tissue forming a plane or film and separating two environments (usually in a plant or animal). noun
- A mechanical, thin, flat flexible part that can deform or vibrate when excited by an external force. noun
- A flexible or semi-flexible covering or waterproofing whose primary function is to exclude water. noun
- a thin pliable sheet of material noun