Merger Wiki - What is the merger?
Mergers and acquisitions (M&A) are transactions in which the ownership of companies, other business organizations, or their operating units are transferred or consolidated with other entities. As an aspect of strategic management, M&A can allow enterprises to grow or downsize, and change the nature of their business or competitive position. From a legal point of view, a merger is a legal consolidation of two entities into one entity, whereas an acquisition occurs when one entity takes ownership of another entity's stock, equity interests or assets. From a commercial and economic point of view, both types of transactions generally result in the consolidation of assets and liabilities under one entity, and the distinction between a "merger" and an "acquisition" is less clear. A transaction legally structured as an acquisition may have the effect of placing one party's business under the indirect ownership of the other party's shareholders, while a transaction legally structured as a merger may give each party's shareholders partial ownership and control of the combined enterprise. A deal may be euphemistically called a merger of equals if both CEOs agree that joining together is in the best interest of both of their companies, while when the deal is unfriendly (that is, when the management of the target company opposes the deal) it may be regarded as an "acquisition"..
What does the word merger mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word merger in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with merger and anagrams of merger.
Definitions of "merger"
- The act or an instance of merging; union. noun
- The union of two or more commercial interests or corporations. noun
- Law The absorption of a lesser estate, liability, right, action, or offense into a greater one. noun
- The act or process of merging two or more parts into a single unit. noun
- The legal union of two or more corporations into a single entity, typically assets and liabilities being assumed by the buying party. noun
- An absorption of one or more estate(s) or contract(s) into one other, all being held by the same owner; of several counts of accusation into one judgement, etc. noun
- A type of sound change where two or more sounds merge into one. noun
- One who, or that which, merges. noun
- An absorption of one estate, or one contract, in another, or of a minor offense in a greater. noun
- The combining of two groups into a unified single group under a single leadership, with voluntary participation by the leaders or management of both groups. noun
- The combining of two commercial enterprises into a unified single enterprise under a single management, with voluntary participation by both parties. Compare
acquisitionand takeover. noun
- One who or that which merges. noun
- In the law of conveyancing, the sinking or obliteration of a lesser estate in lands, etc., resulting when it is transferred without qualification to the owner of a greater estate in the same property (or the like transfer of the greater estate to the owner of the lesser), if there be no intermediate estate. noun
- In the law of contracts, the extinguishment of a security for a debt by the creditor's acceptance of a higher security, such as a bond in lieu of a note, or a judgment in lieu of either: so called because such acceptance, by operation of law, and without intention of the parties, merges the lower security. noun
- A merging of the interests and control of two or more corporations, engaged in the same line, or in allied lines, of business, into a single corporation which exchanges its stock for that of the merging corporations, which however preserve, nominally at least, their separate identity. noun
- the combination of two or more commercial companies noun
- an occurrence that involves the production of a union noun
The word "merger" in example sentences
"We're not using the word merger because that means typically one is consumed into another," Mr. Millsaps said.. [NYT > Home Page]
If the merger is approved by regulators, the airline would use the United name.. [Boards of United, Continental Airlines OK plan to merge]
If this merger is allowed consumers will lose any power that they had in the satellite radio industry and the service provider will be granted the opportunity to take advantage of those individuals that are current subscribers and those that wish to become subscribers.. [Shocked, Shocked!: Opposition to the XM-Sirius Merger, Bryan Caplan | EconLog | Library of Economics and Liberty]
If the merger is approved, a single corporation would own a huge array of popular content and would control how that content -- and the content produced by its competitors - is distributed over the airwaves, cable, and Internet.. [Josh Silver: Washington Post Endorses Comcast-NBC: Ironically Proves Dangers of Mega-Merger]
If the merger is approved, a single corporation would own a huge array of popular content and would control how that content - and the content produced by its competitors - is distributed over the airwaves, cable, and Internet.. [Josh Silver: Washington Post Endorses Comcast-NBC: Ironically Proves Dangers of Mega-Merger]
I think the merger is an advantage for everyone, except the GOP. cardog. [Bachmann: GOP and Tea Party movement are 'merging']
NYSE officials have stressed that New York would be strengthened under the deal, which it calls a merger of equals.. [Schumer Wants Job Numbers]
I'm not sure this merger is a good deal for Marlin.. [Remington Buys Marlin]
Apple + Pandora merger is the best idea I have ever heard.. [The iPod as a Pandora’s box « Squash]
But more importantly, this merger is a powerful example of collaboration; in this case, global collaboration.. [Collaborations: Canada's New Natural Advantage]
This was the first trust -- what they call a merger -- but it occurred in politics.. [As A Chinaman Saw Us Passages from his Letters to a Friend at Home]
Under the present terms, Glencore will issue 2.8 new shares for each Xstrata share in what it calls a 'merger of equals'.. [Reuters: Top News]
That's a group created by MoveOn.org that focuses on what it calls the merger between corporate America and the Republican Party.. [Crooks and Liars]
( "Marathon"), a company then listed on The American Stock Exchange, pursuant to an agreement and plan of merger dated March 21, 2008 as amended, which we refer to as the merger agreement.. [Marketwire - Breaking News Releases]
"Ticketmaster, Live Nation in merger talks" [Reuters] (Thanks to WeSeed!) (Photo: Anirudh Koul). [Ticketmaster, Live Nation Consider Merging, Destroying Concertgoing Forever - The Consumerist]
Once the merger is complete, a new company is formed, and the name is usually changed to reflect the merger.. [Original Publicity | SciFi, Fantasy & Horror Collectibles]
Merger TranslatesMerger English to Turkish Translate
i., huk. bir mülk veya bir şirketin başkasıyle birleşmesi.i., huk. bir mülk veya bir şirketin başkasıyle birleşmesi.