Name Wiki - What is the name?
What does the word name mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word name in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with name and anagrams of name.
Definitions of "name"
- A word or words by which an entity is designated and distinguished from others. noun
- A word or group of words used to describe or evaluate, often disparagingly. noun
- Representation or repute, as opposed to reality. noun
- A reputation. noun
- A distinguished reputation. noun
- An illustrious or outstanding person: synonym: celebrity. noun
- To give a name to. transitive verb
- To mention, specify, or cite by name. transitive verb
- To call by an epithet. transitive verb
- To nominate for or appoint to a duty, office, or honor. synonym: appoint. transitive verb
- To specify or fix. transitive verb
- Well-known by a name. adjective
- (in the name of) By the authority of. idiom
- (in the name of) For the reason of; using as a reason. idiom
- (to (one's) name) Belonging to one. idiom
- A word by which a person or thing is denoted; the word or words by which an individual person or thing, or a class of persons or things, is designated, and distinguished from others; appellation; denomination; designation. noun
- Figuratively, an individual as represented by his name; a person as existing in the memory or thoughts of others. noun