Narcotic Wiki - What is the narcotic?
The term narcotic (, from ancient Greek ναρκῶ narkō, "to make numb") originally referred medically to any psychoactive compound with sleep-inducing properties. In the United States, it has since become associated with opiates and opioids, commonly morphine and heroin, as well as derivatives of many of the compounds found within raw opium latex. The primary three are morphine, codeine, and thebaine (while thebaine itself is only very mildly psychoactive, it is a crucial precursor in the vast majority of semi-synthetic opioids, such as oxycodone). Legally speaking, the term "narcotic" is imprecisely defined and typically has negative connotations. When used in a legal context in the U.S., a narcotic drug is one that is totally prohibited, such as heroin, or one that is used in violation of governmental regulation. In the medical community, the term is more precisely defined and generally does not carry the same negative connotations.Statutory classification of a drug as a narcotic often increases the penalties for violation of drug control statutes. For example, although federal law classifies both cocaine and amphetamines as "Schedule II" drugs, the penalty for possession of cocaine is greater than the penalty for possession of amphetamines because cocaine, unlike amphetamines, is classified as a narcotic..
What does the word narcotic mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word narcotic in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with narcotic and anagrams of narcotic.
Definitions of "narcotic"
- An addictive drug, such as opium, that reduces pain, alters mood and behavior, and usually induces sleep or stupor. Natural and synthetic narcotics are used in medicine to control pain. noun
- A soothing, numbing agent or thing: "There was the blessed narcotic of bridge, at the Colony or at the home of friends” ( Louis Auchincloss). noun
- Inducing sleep or stupor; causing narcosis. adjective
- Of or relating to narcotics, their effects, or their use. adjective
- Of, relating to, or intended for one addicted to a narcotic. adjective
- Any class of substances or drugs, that reduces pain, induces sleep and may alter mood or behaviour. noun
- Any type of numbing drug. noun
- Certain illegal drugs. noun
- Of, or relating to narcotics. adjective
- Inducing sleep; causing narcosis. adjective
- Having the properties of a narcotic; operating as a narcotic. adjective
- A drug which, in medicinal doses, generally allays morbid susceptibility, relieves pain, and produces sleep; but which, in poisonous doses, produces stupor, coma, or convulsions, and, when given in sufficient quantity, causes death. The best examples are opium (with morphine), belladonna (with atropine), and conium. noun
- Having the power to produce stupor.
- Consisting in or characterized by stupor: as, narcotic effects.
- A substance which directly induces sleep, allaying sensibility and blunting the senses, and which, in large quantities, produces narcotism or complete insensibility. noun
- inducing mental lethargy adjective
- of or relating to or designating narcotics adjective
- inducing stupor or narcosis adjective
- a drug that produces numbness or stupor; often taken for pleasure or to reduce pain; extensive use can lead to addiction noun
The word "narcotic" in example sentences
The word narcotic comes from the Greek word meaning pain-relieving and sleep-inducing.. [The Narcotic Problem in Canada]
The term narcotic (ναρκωτικός) strictly refers to any psychoactive compound with morphine-like effects.. [Denver Post: News: Breaking: Local]
For instance, the word narcotic, that's a very inaccurate term.. [CNN Transcript Jun 29, 2009]
Some patients seek alternative solutions to long-term narcotic painkillers. [CNN.com]
Finally, long-term narcotic use should be discouraged whenever possible.. 
I'd never heard psilocybin mushrooms described as a narcotic before but apparently the word "narcotic" has a more general meaning when used by police.. [Boing Boing: September 17, 2006 - September 23, 2006 Archives]
Oxycodone is in a group of drugs called narcotic pain relievers.. [Second Blogger Quits Edwards Campaign]
Marijuana as a narcotic is a rather mild and mainly benign psychoactive substance.. [A Shift In American Thinking In “War On Drugs”? « Unambiguously Ambidextrous]
Cambodia is now well known as the narcotic transit of Asia, according to the U.S. Department of States.. [Ronnie Yimsut: Journey Into Light]
Among the drug hip, the use of the word narcotic to describe mind-active drugs other than opiates carries with it an implicit irony.. [Boing Boing: September 17, 2006 - September 23, 2006 Archives]
Hydrocodone is in a group of drugs called narcotic pain relievers.. [NiteLife]
It is called the narcotic Coprinus, C. narcoticus, and it derives its name from its odor.. [Among the Mushrooms A Guide For Beginners]
They were what is known as narcotic bullets, an invention of a Pittsburg scientist.. [The Dream Doctor]
Any drug which has this deadening effect on the nerves is called a narcotic; and it is in this class that alcohol belongs, together with the stronger narcotics, _opium_,. [A Handbook of Health]
So fatal to the development of the arithmetical sense is the current worship of the rule for its own sake, and so deadly a narcotic is the conventional arithmetic lesson to all who take part in it!. [What Is and What Might Be A Study of Education in General and Elementary Education in Particular]
A narcotic is a remedy which, in _medicinal_ doses, allays morbid sensibility, relieves pain, and produces sleep; but which, in overdoses, produces coma, convulsions, and death.. [The People's Common Sense Medical Adviser in Plain English or, Medicine Simplified, 54th ed., One Million, Six Hundred and Fifty Thousand]
Narcotic TranslatesNarcotic English to Turkish Translate
s., i. uyuşturucu, uyuşukluk verici, narkotik; i. uyuşturucu ilâç, narkotik; narkotiğe alışmış kimse; uyuşturucu herhangi bir şey. narcotize f. ilâç ile uyuşturmak veya uyutmak.s., i. uyuşturucu, uyuşukluk verici, narkotik; i. uyuşturucu ilâç, narkotik; narkotiğe alışmış kimse; uyuşturucu herhangi bir şey. narcotize f. ilâç ile uyuşturmak veya uyutmak.