National Wiki - What is the national?
What does the word national mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word national in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with national and anagrams of national.
Definitions of "national"
- Of, relating to, or belonging to a nation as an organized whole: a national anthem. adjective
- Of or relating to nationality: their national origin. adjective
- Characteristic of or peculiar to the people of a nation: a national trait. adjective
- Of or maintained by the government of a nation: a national landmark. adjective
- Being in the interest of one's own nation: Isolationism is a strictly national policy. adjective
- Devoted to one's own nation or its interests; patriotic. adjective
- A citizen of a particular nation. See Synonyms at citizen. noun
- A contest or tournament involving participants from all parts of a nation. Often used in the plural. noun
- Of or having to do with a nation. adjective
- Of or having to do with a country (sovereign state). adjective
- A citizen of a nation. noun
- A tournament in which participants from all over the nation compete. noun
- Of or pertaining to a nation; common to a whole people or race; public; general adjective
- Attached to one's own country or nation. adjective
- A citizen (of a particular country). noun
- A country-wide sports competition; for a series of competitions, the plural form is usually used. noun
- Of or pertaining to a nation, or a country regarded as a whole: opposed to local or provincial, and in the United States to State: as, national troops, defenses, debt, expenditure, etc.; hence, general; public: as, national interests; the national welfare.
- Established and maintained by the nation, or by authority of its laws: as, national banks; a national system of education; a national church.
- Peculiar or common to the whole people of a country: as, national language, customs, or dress; a national trait; a national religion; national pride.
The word "national" in example sentences
Diagnosing the U.S. 'national character': Narcissistic Personality Disorder 'yahooBuzzArticleHeadline =' Diagnosing the U.S. \'national character\ ': Narcissistic Personality Disorder\' '; yahooBuzzArticleSummary =' Article: Can a nation have a coherent character? ..... [Diagnosing the U.S. 'national character': Narcissistic Personality Disorder']
It was said that national crimes can only be, and frequently are, punished in this world by _national punishments_, and that the continuance of the slave trade, and thus giving it a national character, sanction, and encouragement, ought to be considered as justly exposing us to the displeasure and vengeance of him who is equally the Lord of all, and who views with equal eye the poor _African slave_ and his _American master!. [The Anti-Slavery Examiner, Omnibus]
It introduced into the national consciousness, Henry James wrote in 1879, by the national consciousness undoubtedly meaning his own as well, a certain sense of proportion and relation, of the world being a more complicated place than it had hitherto seemed, the future more treacherous, success more difficult . [Chapter 8. Henry James]
His demand was laid before the national assembly, and on August 25 it was decided to substitute a new _pacte national_ for the _pacte de famille_, and to invite the king to arm forty-five ships for defence, and to revise the treaty; and a suggestion was made to Spain that she might confirm the new compact by the cession of Louisiana.. [The Political History of England - Vol. X. The History of England from the Accession of George III to the close of Pitt's first Administration]
To enlighten public opinion is the best way that has yet been discovered for the removal of national evils; and slavery is certainly a _national_ evil.. [An Appeal in Favor of that Class of Americans Called Africans]
Neither will national conceit remain only _national_ conceit, or _vanity_ be confined to admiration of a form of government; in the present mode of educating the youth of America, all sight is lost of humility, good-will, and the other Christian virtues, which are necessary to constitute a good man, whether he be an American, or of any other country.. [Diary in America, Series One]
It was said that national crimes can only be, and frequently are, punished in this world by _national punishments_, and that the continuance of the slave trade, and thus giving it a national character, sanction, and encouragement, ought to be considered as justly exposing us to the displeasure and vengeance of him who is equally the Lord of all, and who views with equal eye the poor _African slave_ and his _American master_! [. [The Anti-Slavery Examiner, Omnibus]
If you do not like the Fijian national dish, -- _national_ in more than one sense, -- have the dear sons of Nature, as Carlyle probably would call them, not the right to reply, -- "We do not like your _sauerkraut_, if you are a German; your. [The Atlantic Monthly, Volume 03, No. 17, March, 1859]
Chary of the term "national treasure" "it implies I am like the Tower of London, which was a place of great cruelty", Holland says he always likes people who run a cafe and want to run a cafe, or run a shop and want to run that shop.. [Jools Holland: why I'm happy just to play the blues]
Open-ended wars like the Cold War and the one against terror, however, can make the term national security troublingly abstract.. [Magic and Mayhem]
The term "national security" was used to justify a demand for access to Research In Motion Ltd.'s encrypted wireless technology last year, one of several battles the Waterloo, Ont.-based company has faced across South Asia and the Middle East.. [The Globe and Mail - Home RSS feed]
The term "national institutions" is a reference to the oil industry, which has major facilities in some of the holdout areas.. [NYT > Home Page]
Sir David loathes the term "national treasure", and the air of winsome lovability it imbues.. [Telegraph.co.uk - Telegraph online, Daily Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph]
In the new millennium the term national interest seems to be defined by an apparent "need to know" agreement between us -- the individuals and our governments -- the rulers.. [Corrin Varady: All in the Name of National Interest]
Foreign policy, meanwhile, has ceased to have any meaning at all, beyond the making of war or threats of war, making it virtually synonymous with the term national security.. [Foreign Policy and National Security Are Not the Same Thing]
“When Mr. Boyd said national sales, the word national struck me,” Wilson said.. [THE REAL PEPSI CHALLENGE]