Never Wiki - What is the never?
What does the word never mean? Find synonyms, antonyms and the meaning of the word never in our free online dictionary! Find words starting with never and anagrams of never.
Definitions of "never"
- Not ever; on no occasion; at no time: He had never been there before. You never can be sure. adverb
- Not at all; in no way; absolutely not: Never fear. That will never do. adverb
- never mind Don't bother: I was hoping for some help, but never mind, I'll do it alone. idiom
- never mind Not to mention; and certainly not: I can't tread water, never mind swim. idiom
- At no time; on no occasion; in no circumstance. adverb
- Not at any other time; not on any other occasion; not previously. adverb
- Negative particle (used to negate verbs in the simple past tense; also used absolutely). adverb
- Not ever; not at any time; at no time, whether past, present, or future. adverb
- In no degree; not in the least; not. adverb
- Not ever; not at any time; at no time, whether past, present, or future.
- In no degree; not at all; not a whit; not, emphatically.
- [Never in this use, with the following indefinite article a, is equivalent to no, or none, and in the contracted form ne'er a is the source of the dialectal or slang adjectivc nary.
- [In this idiom there is a suppressed comparison—‘never (at any other time) so (great, good, much, etc.) as in the case supposed or considered.’ Never, becoming merely emphatic, is now usually replaced by ever.
- not ever; at no time in the past or future adverb
- not at all; certainly not; not in any circumstances adverb
The word "never" in example sentences
"What Ardi tells us is that we never looked like chimpanzees, we �never walked like chimpanzees.". [Catch a Pithecus by the Toe]
I've never been a game player, just a reader, but something makes we want to read this one..never heard about it until today..anyone else heard anything about this?. [New Releases: Week of September 1, 2009]
When it comes to establishment, is religion established more by an attitude that individuals, who do have religious freedom, are expected to actually *exercise* that particular muscle, or by ingraining in every faint heart the notion that you never *never* have to face the fact that others don't share your sentiments?. [Just in time for the election, Michael Newdow's "Under God" lawsuit is back, along with a challenge to "In God We Trust" on U.S. currency.]
And definitely never drink and dial…..never a good idea….. [Think Progress » Burns next target in Abramoff probe?]
And definitely never drink and dialâ€¦..never a good ideaâ€¦.. [Think Progress » Burns next target in Abramoff probe?]
So, offering up a suggestion of biological causation of differences is never value-free a cigar is _never_ just a cigar and gives the supposed difference _way_ more credence than it ever deserves.. [Guest post by Mary Schweitzer]
You never know when some nut is going to come out of the woodwork and claim you stole her idea, you're stalking George Clooney and you are drunk and disorderly on the balcony late at night...oh wait...those last two things..never mind.. [If I hold you harmless, will you hold it against me?]
Ohhhh but not that I am blaming him, I never never would, it's just that I wish everything was like it used to be and that he was still happy and alive and laughing and I could be too instead of feeling like this.. [sheepdip Diary Entry]
I nodded off with my head on his chest, thinking I've never been happier, I'll never leave this man, I'll never leave this place, I'll never come down, never come down ... _never come down_.. [Never Come Down]
I never, _never_ expected to see them again, and it was like some kind of bloody miracle, and you were the one who -- okay, Mrs. Gamadge says we'll both be crying in a minute so I better get on with it.. [Murder Crossed]
It seems that ferrets, if they once get hold of your thumb, never let go -- _not never_ -- and that you have to force their jaws open with a penholder; also ferrets exhibit a marked preference for thumbs.. [Punch or the London Charivari, Vol. 147, November 11, 1914]
"If he hadn't, I'd never, _never_ have spoken to him again!" declared. [Peggy-Alone]
"If you only will I'll never, never, _never_ ask you for anything again as long as I live.". [The Outdoor Girls at Bluff Point Or a Wreck and a Rescue]
Poor little Birdie! she declares she never can stand it: she did not dream that to be married she would have been subjected to such a world of trouble, or she would never have consented, -- _never_!. [The Garies and Their Friends]
"If that is the effect of my dancing I will never dance for you, _never_!". [Desert Love]
"Beth," she gasped, "promise me you will never, never, _never_ say a word about this to your uncle.". [The Beth Book Being a Study of the Life of Elizabeth Caldwell Maclure, a Woman of Genius]